K1 for Sale

stagedamager

Featured Posts

A spare engine for Mike the Boilerman perhaps?

I can remember seeing this one still in use in the owner's boat "Catkin" at one of Kevin Whittle's rallies - seems like a long time ago now.

Presumably there are only two K1s in operational condition currently?

Richard

Presumably there are only two K1s in operational condition currently?

Richard

I thought a modern boat called (I think) Jubilee, (possibly RW Davies or something like Barry Hawkins) that was sold off a mooring near me a year or so back had one.

May be wrong, but, if so, that, the one advertised here, and Mike's would seem to imply at least 3?

Edited by alan_fincher

I thought a modern boat called (I think) Jubilee, (possibly RW Davies or something like Barry Hawkins) that was sold off a mooring near me a year or so back had one.

May be wrong, but, if so, that, the one advertised here, and Mike's would seem to imply at least 3?

Yes I thought there might be one more in another boat but wasn't sure if that was the one that MtB had bought - perhaps he may appear here soon?

According to the data Kevin W gleaned from George Bergius there were only 47 K1s built anyway!

Richard

Yes I thought there might be one more in another boat but wasn't sure if that was the one that MtB had bought - perhaps he may appear here soon?

According to the data Kevin W gleaned from George Bergius there were only 47 K1s built anyway!

Richard

I may be thinking of this boat, I think....

JUBILEE Built by BARRY HAWKINS - Length 20.42 metres (67 feet ) - Beam 2.08 metres (6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft 0.76 metres (2 feet 6 inches ) Metal hull, power of 12 BHP. Registered with British Waterways number 511084 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 30-May-2011.

but 12HP doesn't sound like enough for a K1, goes it, I thought the K series Kelvins were about 22HP per "pot"?

That said, data lifted from this site is often questionable.

Edited by alan_fincher

but 12HP doesn't sound like enough for a K1, goes it, I thought the K series Kelvins were about 22HP per "pot"?

Yes definitely 22HP per pot for the Ks and 11HP for the Js. I wonder if the Jim Shead data is referring to a P2 at 5HP per pot?

I now realise I didn't word my previous post very well and meant to say that I thought MtB had bought his K1 to put in his Aldebaran after it had been taken out of another boat (by GBBS at Hillmorton?). Probably all rubbish!

Richard

Hawkins built a boat with a Danny Williamson Gardner 1L2 (ex laboratory engine IIRC) in it so maybe that explains the power anomaly. From memory it was either built for a son of Hawkins or for a demo craft.

Edited to add: Thinking back it may have intentionally started out as for one of Danny's engines but then an engine was sourced from elsewhere........it's all a while ago now.

Roger

Edited by Albion

Hawkins built a boat with a Danny Williamson Gardner 1L2 (ex laboratory engine IIRC) in it so maybe that explains the power anomaly. From memory it was either built for a son of Hawkins or for a demo craft.

Edited to add: Thinking back it may have intentionally started out as for one of Danny's engines but then an engine was sourced from elsewhere........it's all a while ago now.

Roger

I was shown round it and gawped at the 1L2, but I don't think it was Jubilee - though I have seen Jubilee (maybe at Crick when she was new) and what a lovely looking boat she is.

Mr. Works, I would have loved to have paid £10,000 for my boat's engine, but I think that my purchase made perfect sense. I'm sure that there are quite a few other members here whose engines cost them more than that.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I ment the k1 loco!

Would have loved a k1 or v3 tank

The diesel engine would be nice not sure i could be assed finding the fundsfor 1 then having to sell the national to cover the costs.

Edited by billybobbooth

I ment the k1 loco!

Would have loved a k1 or v3 tank

The diesel engine would be nice not sure i could be assed finding the fundsfor 1 then having to sell the national to cover the costs.

Why do you think a Kelvin would be better than the National? Just asking, as we have both types, each with their own plus' and minus'

Bill

Have you seen my engine room? I cant even get from 1 side to the other due to fuel tanks.

1 she was built with a big single so want to put that back in but also need to take into account of fam members so i would due to get a semi back in but a k1 is the next best thing.

Big ish power for what you get but torquey.

I like the national uses hardly any fuel reliable. But with the box fly and big cylinders i just have no room