Flushing the Perkins through

Featured Posts

Having got water in the engine we are in the process of flushing it through. Is it necessary with every flush to change the oil filter? Ours is the old canister type with the circular concertina gauze inside, which is nigh impossible to clean (esp when full of oil/water mix).

Having got water in the engine we are in the process of flushing it through. Is it necessary with every flush to change the oil filter? Ours is the old canister type with the circular concertina gauze inside, which is nigh impossible to clean (esp when full of oil/water mix).

Personally I would put the canister back without the filter insert and then fill with cheap oil and run for an hour or more until nice and hot, then drain and repeat. If there is no signs of water at that point put a new filter element back in the canister and fill with good quality oil. If there are light streaks in the oil repeat.

I'm not as brave as Tony, i'd price in a couple of filters, cheap compared to an engine!

It should be new oil with very little chance of being contaminated by any serious dirt and I doubt the engine will produce any abrasive debris worth worrying about in the short (comparatively) time it will be running. Its a judgement really between possible wear from unfiltered oil and blocking the new filter with emulsified oil/water. However if the filter did block the bypass valve would just open and pass unfiltered oil around the engine so both methods have similar potential problems.

Now, if it was proposed to do the flushing with flushing oil or higher than spec. detergency oil then I would agree with you because either could strip muck from inside the engine.