Today, I bought a boat!

cl@rkey

Featured Posts

Congratulations, I also bought a boat today, my first, a 30ft Sea Otter currently at Tewkesbury Marina, and stopping there until the river starts behaving! Then there will be no stopping us!

If you haven't alerady done so, you should join the Sea Otters Owners Club

haggis - with the Scottish Sea Otter!

Congratulations!

Bet you can't wait to get out onto the cut with her!

Thanks! Actually, I'm a bit apprehensive (zero boating experience). The main emotion I'm feeling at the moment is relief! I can now get all the necessary documents handed in to secure my mooring (the deadline is next week - I was cutting it really fine!)

Have they fixed the cupboard doors yet? Two fell off in my hand when we viewed this boat. Otherwise it was OK but didn't do what we wanted. Good luck with it.

One of the hinges on the doors under the dinette wasn't secure - didn't notice any other dodgy doors - if there are, will be an easy fix hopefully!

You lucky b........I mean, good job! Lots of lovely wood!

Thanks! Yeah, she is very woody! I'm thinking of replacing the carpets with wood laminate, but wonder whether that might be going a little too OTT on wood? :lol:

Congratulations!

She looks a very nice boat. I hope your head does not hurt too much in the morning :cheers:

Errm, I missed my last train home! Ended up in a B&B in Loughborough. :lol:

Marque Narrowboats Hull- Good stuff, quality build. looks like you have a nice shed at the back too.

Thanks Matty! Wasn't sure how well-known they are - none of the Pillings Lock guys seemed to recognise the firm. Your verdict is reassuring! Yeah, that space at the back offers lots of possibilities. Not so sure about the generator - petrol driven and apparently a bit noisy!

Well done. We got our current boat from ABNB a year ago - found them to be helpful and honest.

Cheers - yep, they were a pleasure to deal with!

Agreed - nice and boaty.:)

And this.

I'm jealous - still browsing but still not in a position to buy. :(

Yeah, I feel your pain. Saw a few boats i had my heart set on getting snapped up whilst I wasn't ready to buy. You'll get there. :)

cl@rkey - It's hard to tell but just noticed on the pics that the seal on the collar between the Morso and the flue doesn't look brilliant (your survey may have picked this up).

Might be worth double checking the seal is good before you use the stove....

congratulations,i hope you have many wonderful years cruising on her,she looks nice.john

Thanks John! Needless to say, the photos perhaps make her look a little more upmarket than she really is, but I'm happy with her.

Pump out kahzi! Good choice ;)

Err, I'd have been happy with a cassette! Or better yet, a compost loo! :lol:

The surveyor agrees with you though, and also liked the fact it's a dump-through (less to go wrong).

Nice looking boat - at what seems like a good price too (assuming of course you didn't pay the full asking price)

Pity you made the wrong bog choice but that is easily rectifiable..... :cheers:

Thanks Martin! No, I didn't pay full price, but i did pay a grand more than my survey valued her at (mainly due to my mooring deadline)

Re: loo choice - well, I can always get a cassette loo as a backup. :)

she looks lovely. How exciting. That wonderful feeling when you buy a new boat.

Make sure you get that stove checked for cracks and safety before you use it (especially if it is over 10yrs old). Get a carbon monoxide detector, smoke detector and have a gas check if you have gas on board (bubble tester) Safety first. Have fun! :cheers:

Cheers Rambling! I haven't seen the full survey report yet, but I seem to remember him saying the only thing wrong with the stove was a couple of fire bricks being cracked.

Congratulations, I also bought a boat today, my first, a 30ft Sea Otter currently at Tewkesbury Marina, and stopping there until the river starts behaving! Then there will be no stopping us!

Many congrats, DaisyJ! Hope you have many happy years cruising ahead. :cheers:

Congrat's. Now enjoy. :cheers:

Thanks johnmck - I'm sure I will!

Well done,will you be living on the boat?

Thanks, bowten - yes, I'll be a full-time liveaboard.

Well done she looks a lot of boat for the money. we bought ours in May and although we have not had the chance to use it as much as we had hoped, knowing its there still gives me a nice glow,

Thanks! Hope you get a chance to use her more this year!

she's a beaut!

Thanks IainW- I think she has a lovely bow & after talking to some of the Pillings Lock liveaboards last night in the bar, apparently she "goes like the clappers"... which immediately made me think they'd all been taking joy rides in her! :lol:

See you on the Cam!

Yep. Will do, Black Ibis! :)

cl@rkey - It's hard to tell but just noticed on the pics that the seal on the collar between the Morso and the flue doesn't look brilliant (your survey may have picked this up).

Might be worth double checking the seal is good before you use the stove....

Cheers, I'll look into it! As per the advice given on here previously, I'll get the local fire brigade to check the boat over. I don't think there was any issues with seals, based on my chat with the surveyor - just a couple of cracked fire bricks.

Congratulations she (assuming boats are female) looks really nice.

Only got our first boat less than a month ago and really enjoying it.

Thanks! Yes, boats are most definitely 'she' :)

Thanks! Yes' date=' boats are most definitely 'she' [/quote']

Boats as females is a sea-going tradition, born out of a much more superstitious mindset as as result of the heightened danger of sea-going boating. Traditionally, the working boat men and women on the inland waterways never referred to boats as 'she', only as it and mostly gave its name with a pronoun eg "The Ling", "The Alcor". Inland waterways boats were traditionally renamed for without any ceremony either.

I know calling boats female has become fairly standard now, and by all means you must call your boat whatever you like! But my boat is an it to me, or just "The Duck".

Edited by Black Ibis

The survey obviously went well then...congrats! Now you HAVE to come and find us for your first cruise, we will either be at Loughborough or Barrow I expect, 62' tug style, all ports, green and red with a cream roof, you can't miss us easily!! :cheers:

http://www.abnb.co.uk/boat_pages/2348web/2348abnb.php?BoatID=2348

Let me know your thoughts on her. I'm in the bar at Pillings Lock Marina at the mo, so you can tell me them in person if you happen to be in the vicinity! :cheers:

Luurrvly boat! :wub: I am so happy for you and so jealous at the same time . Hope to be in the same position in a few years.

It's got everything I would be looking for in a boat: trad stern, ports and windows, side hatch, solid fuel stove, lovely lovely lovely. I like the shape of the kitchen too, the fact it has been crafted and not just a standard carcass whacked in on either side.

I wish you all the joys it/she will bring you especially with spring and summer to look forward to too. :cheers:

Edited by Dyad

I know calling boats female has become fairly standard now, and by all means you must call your boat whatever you like! But my boat is an it to me, or just "The Duck".

That'll teach me to open my mouth before engaging brain - I think I read this before on CWDF!

The survey obviously went well then...congrats! Now you HAVE to come and find us for your first cruise, we will either be at Loughborough or Barrow I expect, 62' tug style, all ports, green and red with a cream roof, you can't miss us easily!! :cheers:

There were a couple of unpleasant(ish) surprises - may have just been my surveyor being overly picky - but overall it was ok.

However I decide to get her/it back to Cambridge, I'll pay a visit when I'm next up. :cheers:

Congrats!....

Ta very much!

Luurrvly boat! :wub: I am so happy for you and so jealous at the same time . Hope to be in the same position in a few years.

It's got everything I would be looking for in a boat: trad stern, ports and windows, side hatch, solid fuel stove, lovely lovely lovely. I like the shape of the kitchen too, the fact it has been crafted and not just a standard carcass whacked in on either side.

I wish you all the joys it/she will bring you especially with spring and summer to look forward to too. :cheers:

Thanks a lot, Dyad! My original layout requirements changed quite a bit over time. Of course, I won't know how suitable she is for me until I've lived on her awhile. I dare say there may be some things I'll want to alter. The interior does look nice, but the original owner fit-out was classed as "a bit amateurish in places" by my surveyor - nothing that can't be sorted though!

It still hasn't really sunk in. (no pun intended!)

Eek! I own a boat! :)

If you haven't alerady done so, you should join the Sea Otters Owners Club

haggis - with the Scottish Sea Otter!

Hi Haggis,

we have just joined the Owners club, also a very useful forum. Also just spent our first night on board, all good so far.

Hey well done Clarkey, you've done it now! How's the head today? :D

Cheers Starry! Yep, I'm now madly rushing around to get all the documents in to the council for my mooring. The head wasn't too bad - just a bit groggy. I have found I'm vaping a hell of a lot just recently - would have never been able to stay off the fags, if I'd just gone cold turkey! (although cold turkey is on the menu a lot!)