My live aboard 20 years ago

OldPeculier

Featured Posts

I was up in the loft before Christmas hunting down those elusive decorations when I came across some old photos.

I thought I would share them. This is Peppermint Pig a 20' Water bug that was my home for almost 3 years.

The dude with the blue shirt is me. The shirt has long gone and so has the hair. The leggy chick reclining on the back was my girlfriend at the time. Now my wife.

Poor quality pictures i am afraid but this was a pre digital ageTzh2H.jpg[/img]

VxBRj.jpg[/img]

mPXRi.jpg[/img]

• Greenie 1

and a worthy song to name a boat after...

Edited to add: Why don't my Media inserts work any more?

I was on YouTube the other day listening to Gardners, must get out more and noticed that YouTube is stopping support for windows 7. Or maybe it's Internet explorer 7. That may be why.

Any idea what happened to the boat?

still around, however, looking at the hairstyles I am not sure the year of build is quite right!!!

PEPPERMINT PIG Built by Springer Water Bug in 1995 - Length 6.1 metres (20 feet ) - Beam 2.08 metres (6 feet 10 inches ) hull colour BLACK superstructure colour BLUE Petrol Outboard power of 15CC. Registered with EA Anglian Region number G11859 as a Motor boat. Last registration recorded on 20-Apr-2012.

still around, however, looking at the hairstyles I am not sure the year of build is quite right!!!

PEPPERMINT PIG Built by Springer Water Bug in 1995 - Length 6.1 metres (20 feet ) - Beam 2.08 metres (6 feet 10 inches ) hull colour BLACK superstructure colour BLUE Petrol Outboard power of 15CC. Registered with EA Anglian Region number G11859 as a Motor boat. Last registration recorded on 20-Apr-2012.

Fantastic to hear she is still around. I am sure I had her built in 90 or 91. I remember as this was when the Poll Tax was introduced and I got caught only a week or two before I 'disappeared' and moved on board.

She was made with 3 inches extra headroom, just three portholes each side. There was a crosswise permenant double up the front,then toilet and kitchen opposite each other in the middle. at the back there was a three seat sofa/bed on one side and the wood stove on the other.

Had some great times on her and it broke my heart to sell her.

I was up in the loft before Christmas hunting down those elusive decorations when I came across some old photos.

I thought I would share them. This is Peppermint Pig a 20' Water bug that was my home for almost 3 years.

The dude with the blue shirt is me. The shirt has long gone and so has the hair. The leggy chick reclining on the back was my girlfriend at the time. Now my wife.

Poor quality pictures i am afraid but this was a pre digital ageTzh2H.jpg[/img]

VxBRj.jpg[/img]

mPXRi.jpg[/img]

nice .boat not bad. bob :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

Hey up ,I've just bought peppermint pig,it'l be going to Lincoln ,well torksey ,when I've done a bit of fettling on it,inboard diesel for a start,front window,and 4 ft extra length

fantastic news, keep us updated. clapping.gif

speshly with the stretch!!!!

Great. You don't need a big one to have fun.

We came across 'Along Shortly' in 2005 on the Oxford while heading for the Thames.

She was a real little beauty and wonder if she's still around.

I notice that there is one in the boat index of that name built by Ledgard Bridge in Mirfield (Gary who used to be on here). It's likely to be the same one I guess as there won't be many 24 footers with the same name.

• 2 weeks later...

Peppermint pig. Well I've started striping out the front internal floor and ply sides prior to getting the disk cutter out,the internal steel hull is still in red oxide and mint,don't be put off on a 3 mm hull it's 20 odd years old and it's never been plated,must have been made with corten plate,I'll post some pick if some one tells me how,nick

• 2 weeks later...

Peppermint pig. Well I've started striping out the front internal floor and ply sides prior to getting the disk cutter out,the internal steel hull is still in red oxide and mint,don't be put off on a 3 mm hull it's 20 odd years old and it's never been plated,must have been made with corten plate,I'll post some pick if some one tells me how,nick

To post photos:

First you need to put the photo with an online service Photobucket. Once the photo is posted online, right click on it then click "copy photo URL". Then you come back here, open the dialogue box to make a post then left click on the "image" icon (bottom row - 11th icon from the left). A small pop-up box appears. Right click in the space that says URL then click "paste". Click "OK" and your image should appear when you click "post".

Great to see 'the pig' again and i like what you are doing. I had her built with a solid front bulkhead as I had a permenant cross wise double bed up against the front and didnt want to be up against the cold window that water bugs usually had there.. I am amazed at the condition. That looks like the original paint too. Dont ever say Springers were badly made. They might have been built to a budget but there was nothing wrong with the craftsmanship that went into them.

Yes, the hull has no corrosion if you had it made in 1990. 25 years ago ish. There is no over plating ,when I cut it up I can tell it's either made of hardox or corten plate , you tell by the sparks that come off the steel3.25 mm , under the floor shining a torch it's all in red oxide,how much was it new

• 2 months later...