Thames High Water

Serenity Malc

Featured Posts

Yello,

highwater26thdec2012010.jpg

The Thames is now higher than I've seen it ... although I've only been here a couple of years (at Bell Weir). The EA level site says it's the highest since Feb 2009.

Building bridges once again.

I hope you all had a safe and Happy Christmas everyone. :cheers:

Malc. B)

Edited by Serenity Malc

Yello,

Yes .... The Thames has risen again since I popped out to visit my Dad. My dog Benjie has always been scared stiff .... stiff as concrete ! :rolleyes:

A neighbour called the EA who allegedly said we had another 2 foot coming !! Anything that isn't tied down is in the process of being moved. Cars, motorcycles etc.

With all 9 gates open at Bell Weir, The Thames is riverised more than normal.

The gang planks are again 2 x 5 metre x 3 inch thick roof joists.

Stay safe .... Malc. B)

Edited by Serenity Malc

On the EA website thay say the Thames is expected to continue to rise for the next few days.

It's risen about 6" since I took these pictures yesterday afternoon. I'm on the reach above Malc.

utf-8BV2luZHNvciBhbmQgTWFpZGVuaGVhZC0yMDEyMTIyNi0wMDEyMC5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BV2luZHNvciBhbmQgTWFpZGVuaGVhZC0yMDEyMTIyNi0wMDExOS5qcGc.jpg

The water is over the top of the white brick pillars now. I've still got shore power which comes from the brown lean-to shed next to the house, although the cable is underwater. I reckon if the water rises another foot it will reach the socket in the shed. What's the safest thing to do in that case - if I want to connect the generator to the boat for example? I won't be able to reach the socket in the shed because I only have wellies and the water is already too deep. I had to wade through water on the other side to reach my dinghy yesterday and it was painfully cold. (I don't think touching a wet socket would be a good idea anyway). If shore power trips, is it ok to just disconnect the shore power cable from the boat and leave it on the deck?

The Thames is now higher than I've seen it ... although I've only been here a couple of years (at Bell Weir). The EA level site says it's the highest since Feb 2009.

Do you have a link for that website Malc?

Edited by blackrose

Yello,

Yeah for you it's at: http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/riverlevels/136496.aspx?StationId=7172&Sensor=D&RegionId=0&AreaId=0&CatchmentId=0

Also check the 'upstream data' button on the same page.

As long as your shore power line has an RCD fitted of a suitable rating, it should simply trip if submerged. It may also trip the circuit in the house feeding it. Be careful if you disconnect the LIVE shore line if it's a MALE ! ie; has visible plug top type contacts. If someone re makes the RCD trip without you knowing, you'll need to have the shore power lead and plug in a safe situation.

We've had to move the cars and motorcycles to higher ground as the water is now over the bank and just about to go up the lane and over the rest of the garden.

Malc. :help:

Edited by Serenity Malc

Thanks for the link.

This could get bad - rain is forecast just about everyday for the next 5 days. I think I'm going to go out and get some more rope just in case.

Getting on and off the boat is getting difficult now. I still have to cross the river and I wish I had some waders for the other side!

Edited by blackrose

Yello,

Yes it deffo doesn't look good.

Can you not use the 'caged' mooring on the other side ? Or is that swamped as well ?

Take care dude ... Malc. :unsure:

No, that's Peter's mooring and you don't mess with Peter!

I just went across and just beached the dinghy on the flooded bank.

Husband just phoned to say the Pang at Pangbourne has risen into the car park where he works, hasn't happened before in the 8 years he has been there. He was talking to one of the E.A lockies from Caversham yesterday who told him all the weirs are 'pulled' including the weir at Blakes lock ( as you enter the K. and A. ) and there is a possibility that the water could top the sides into The Oracle and Reading. Bunny

On the EA website thay say the Thames is expected to continue to rise for the next few days.

It's risen about 6" since I took these pictures yesterday afternoon. I'm on the reach above Malc.

utf-8BV2luZHNvciBhbmQgTWFpZGVuaGVhZC0yMDEyMTIyNi0wMDEyMC5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BV2luZHNvciBhbmQgTWFpZGVuaGVhZC0yMDEyMTIyNi0wMDExOS5qcGc.jpg

The water is over the top of the white brick pillars now. I've still got shore power which comes from the brown lean-to shed next to the house, although the cable is underwater. I reckon if the water rises another foot it will reach the socket in the shed. What's the safest thing to do in that case - if I want to connect the generator to the boat for example? I won't be able to reach the socket in the shed because I only have wellies and the water is already too deep. I had to wade through water on the other side to reach my dinghy yesterday and it was painfully cold. (I don't think touching a wet socket would be a good idea anyway). If shore power trips, is it ok to just disconnect the shore power cable from the boat and leave it on the deck?

Do you have a link for that website Malc?

I would suggest that the socket in the shed is electrically isolated BEFORE the water reaches it and not just wait for it to trip.

I would suggest that the socket in the shed is electrically isolated BEFORE the water reaches it and not just wait for it to trip.

That will mean I'll have no electricity and that will also isolate the sockets in the kitchen of the house which are on the same circuit. It's not my house and I don't think the owner would be very happy about it. She's 70 and she's having a hard enough time as it is. Anyway, I estimate it will need to rise another foot before it reaches the socket.

I just took this picture out of my window, across the river with a long lens. I've already loosened the ropes of 2 unattended boats on the other side of the river today. The owner of this boat actually lives in the house next to the mooring! What am I supposed to do - patrol the entire reach saving boats whose owners don't understand or are too lazy to do anything? If he can't be bothered to sort it out I don't see why I should? It's actually chained and padlocked so there's not much I can do anyway. You'd think it might occur to one of the owners to check!

P1000878.jpg

Edited by blackrose

That will mean I'll have no electricity and that will also isolate the sockets in the kitchen of the house which are on the same circuit. It's not my house and I don't think the owner would be very happy about it. She's 70 and she's having a hard enough time as it is. Anyway, I estimate it will need to rise another foot before it reaches the socket.

I just took this picture out of my window, across the river with a long lens. I've already loosened the ropes of 2 unattended boats on the other side of the river today. The owner of this boat actually lives in the house next to the mooring! What am I supposed to do - patrol the entire reach saving boats whose owners don't understand or are too lazy to do anything? If he can't be bothered to sort it out I don't see why I should? It's actually chained and padlocked so there's not much I can do anyway. You'd think it might occur to one of the owners to check!

1.Yes

2. Because you're a nice bloke (?)

3. Yes, one would - however, 1. above applies

Folks are daft - in my estimation, and the average boater is dafter than most.

This is the Thames and most boaters don't seem to have any nouse and even less when they get on the water. it gets me depressed trying to get any interest or comments from other local boaters.

grumble, grumble...

Yello,

It would be a great shame to see R G Bargee go down through the neglect of her owners ... that's a beautiful Dutch Barge Style Narrow boat. I don't know what I can do from here ?

I've spent the whole day rescuing my log stash and building a bridge for my 174 year old neighbour.

Shit ! .... Malc.

Yello,

I know that boat .... I've admired it as a narrowboat.

I've seen it (as you say ) chained and padlocked ...... WTF do you do ?

My boat is tethered to 3 x land based concrete laid posts ... and I'll probably be the last boat here at Bell Weir to still be attached to terrafirma.

Without a battery angle grinder ..... there's nothing I could do.

The owners need a damned good kicking !

Malc. B)

I think what's left of my log stash will be lucky to stay put.

There's not a lot you can do about R G Bargee unless you fancy knocking on the owner's house, getting the keys from him and then wading through 3ft of freezing water to the boat. The lights are on in the house so the owner only had to look out of his window to see what was going on with his boat.

I crossed the river on my dinghy today, tied up to a listing boat and then climbed onto the boat from my dinghy to loosen the ropes, which meant I didn't have to get my feet wet. I didn't do that with R G Bargee firstly because it's downstream and my 4hp engine struggles to get back in this current, but also because I wouldn't fancy climbing on a boat that's listing that much in case it rolls over (and of course because I know it's chained up!)

Yello,

I know that boat .... I've admired it as a narrowboat.

I've seen it (as you say ) chained and padlocked ...... WTF do you do ?

My boat is tethered to 3 x land based concrete laid posts ... and I'll probably be the last boat here at Bell Weir to still be attached to terrafirma.

Without a battery angle grinder ..... there's nothing I could do.

The owners need a damned good kicking !

Malc. B)

Would it be possible to knock on the door of the owner of R G Bargee and explain that if their boat goes down it will take the grp cruiser with it?

1.Yes

2. Because you're a nice bloke (?)

3. Yes, one would - however, 1. above applies

Folks are daft - in my estimation, and the average boater is dafter than most.

This is the Thames and most boaters don't seem to have any nouse and even less when they get on the water. it gets me depressed trying to get any interest or comments from other local boaters.

grumble, grumble...

You missed the bit about the boat being chained and padlocked.

I was in that water up to my knees yesterday and it is bloody freezing! Painfully cold!

I am a nice bloke but to unlock it you'd probably have to get most of your body under to find the padlocks at the bow and stern. Also that boat could roll and I'm not risking my neck for a neglected boat.

Edited by blackrose