More Flood alerts Dec 19

Rob@BSSOffice

Featured Posts

Poor old Tewkesbury My link (4th phot in the series)

We often moor on the wall below the balconies (wall now well submerged)

I reckon that the 2nd one in the series has been "enhanced" to add a rough sea along the edge of the Trent.

N

FidoDido, the towpath was still above water this morning when we walked to the lock. Not by much though, well less than a foot in places I'd say. Crockers appeared to be still accessible by road too. I can't say what will happen in the next couple of days following today's rain.

I'm not sure if I shall be able to get to my boat in the next day or two, though I do hope so. At least mine is the "safe" side of the closed flood gates. If I do get there I will post updates on here.

I have some photos on my gallery on here and mean to post more. If I get time I will start a Derwent Mouth thread and link some of them to it to make them easier to find.

FidoDido, the towpath was still above water this morning when we walked to the lock. Not by much though, well less than a foot in places I'd say. Crockers appeared to be still accessible by road too. I can't say what will happen in the next couple of days following today's rain.

I'm not sure if I shall be able to get to my boat in the next day or two, though I do hope so. At least mine is the "safe" side of the closed flood gates. If I do get there I will post updates on here.

I have some photos on my gallery on here and mean to post more. If I get time I will start a Derwent Mouth thread and link some of them to it to make them easier to find.

Ah, Thats not too bad then.. Got to within a few inches of flooding the towpath a couple of weeks ago. The road can flood at Crockers up near the gate. It was bad on Friday when I left at the far pound - this was the road to it!

https://twitter.com/robstockman/status/282090566836178944/photo/1

I'm carefully watching the EA levels.. Keeping my fingers crossed it doesnt go above about 3.30m.. I know it should be OK up till that.

Will have a look at your profile. :)

The tidal Trent at Torksey is higher today than yesterday. Water is topping the banks and flooding into adjacent fields. The caravan park at Torksey behind the pub is getting quite close to being wet. The Trent flood bank has developed a weak spot.

98999CD5-7CB2-40DF-B259-196081BC5145-11367-000007E421EB391C.jpg

322584EC-1214-468D-997B-71C8D050556A-11367-000007E42783DB49.jpg

505AD120-CF3A-47A4-83B3-C647CA9BDC22-11367-000007E41A6DBF10.jpg

The Avon is dropping at Strensham - got back on board. Over the last week I have heard two theories for why its so volatile lately. 1) the flood defences at Pershore are pushing water down to Strensham, Bredon and Tewkesbury and 2) the sluices have been automated so that there is noone holding a bit back and allowing moderate floods along the stretch rather than one bloody big one at the end. Not sure if these are correct - I have only been here since July. And of course it has been raining pretty much non stop all year.

The Avon is dropping at Strensham - got back on board. Over the last week I have heard two theories for why its so volatile lately. 1) the flood defences at Pershore are pushing water down to Strensham, Bredon and Tewkesbury and 2) the sluices have been automated so that there is noone holding a bit back and allowing moderate floods along the stretch rather than one bloody big one at the end. Not sure if these are correct - I have only been here since July. And of course it has been raining pretty much non stop all year.

All of the countries rivers are being volatile at the moment. It isn't just restricted to one.

With such a wet summer and now winter the ground is saturated. Water which would normally be stored in the ground has nowhere to go and is just running straight into the rivers raising river levels very quickly.

Unless we get a prolonged dry spell this is likely to last for a long while.

I seem to remember that last year, we were saying how we needed a prolonged spell of sustained rain, to fill the depleted water resevoirs aand aquifers.... lets hope we don't have a drought this year..

Hmm how times change. Although to be fair before this years drought we had a prolonged period of well below average rainfall.

Seems its all or nothing at the minute!

Yesterday we went to visit Mrs. Athy's sister and family at Walton on the Wold, not far from Barrow. We could not get off the A6 at the correct junction as the road was closed due to flooding, but we glimpsed very soddesn overflowing conditiond from the road.

The road which we DID manage to go along took us past Pillings Marina - I had no idea that it was so close to sister-in-law's home. That also appeared to be overflowing, with neighbouring fields looking like marina annexes.

I suspect that a couple of CWF bods moor there. Hope you are O.K.