Ellis Heaters

Featured Posts

In our Harborough [1981] there lurks an "assumed" original Ellis Boiler.

It has lost all its useful labels - like what model it is, and there was no paperwork regarding it when we bought the boat...

We have not managed to get it working [neither did the Marina owner who sold the boat]. :P

Is there a knack to lighting these? :P or has anyone got any tips, paperwork, rules of thumb that might help?

In our Harborough [1981] there lurks an "assumed" original Ellis Boiler.

It has lost all its useful labels - like what model it is, and there was no paperwork regarding it when we bought the boat...

We have not managed to get it working [neither did the Marina owner who sold the boat]. :P

Is there a knack to lighting these? :P or has anyone got any tips, paperwork, rules of thumb that might help?

Mr Ellis only produced one boiler known as the Ellis Heatmaster. It is no longer available and any spares that remained were sold to Foxton Boat Services several years ago.

I have a set of operating instructions, so if you send me your address and I will post you a copy to you. It is a remarkably simple boiler but there is a correct procedure for lighting, get it wrong and it will never light up. If it does not light using the correct proceedure, the most likely cause for it not starting up is a dust ball in the pilot burner tube.

Edited by David Schweizer

• 3 months later...

Mr Ellis only produced one boiler known as the Ellis Heatmaster. It is no longer available and any spares that remained were sold to Foxton Boat Services several years ago.

I have a set of operating instructions, so if you send me your address and I will post you a copy to you. It is a remarkably simple boiler but there is a correct procedure for lighting, get it wrong and it will never light up. If it does not light using the correct proceedure, the most likely cause for it not starting up is a dust ball in the pilot burner tube.

Hi David,

You seem to be knowledgeable on these units.

I have an old Ellis which was working well the 2 times I used it (I've only had the boat 1 month), but although I am getting the pilot to light when I turn the dial the boiler does not fire up.....any ideas or are there any troble shooting tips in your manual?

regards

Hi David,

You seem to be knowledgeable on these units.

I have an old Ellis which was working well the 2 times I used it (I've only had the boat 1 month), but although I am getting the pilot to light when I turn the dial the boiler does not fire up.....any ideas or are there any troble shooting tips in your manual?

regards

Unfortunately there are no trouble shooting tips in the manual, but there are some servicing instructions which could be useful. But could I frst check with you that you are using the correct proceedure to light up, which is :- Turn gas on (obvious but I have known people to overlook this) turn the thermostat to zero, hold down the button with the red star on it, and repeatedly press the large ignitin button with a flash on it until the pilot ignites. Hold the red star button down for at least ten seconds and release it gently, check that the pilot is still ignited and turn up the thermostat to full. The main burner should fire up within a few seconds. If for any reason you depress the button with the white dot on it, the main gas supply will be cut off from the burner and you will need to wait for about a minute before it turns the gas back on (you will hear quite a loud click when this happens) then repaet the whole fire up proceedure

Assuming that you have been doing all that correctly, have you checked that the burner is clean? it is unlikely that it would get completely blocked with debris but it is worth a try. To remove it, first turn off the gas supply and disconnect the supply pipe from the contol unit, remove the four nuts holding the burner assembly to the front of the boiler, cerefully remove the thermocouple bulb from its hole in the front of the boiler, and gently remove the burner assembly by pulling it forwards. Cleaning can be done with a stiff brush and by holding the burner upside down and giving it a good shake. At all times be careful to protect the (very thin) thermocouple tube to prevent it form breaking.

If this does not work you may need to replace the FFD device which is a small copper tube running from the underside of the control unit and terminating with the heat sensing probe which projects into the pilot flame. I do not know whether these can still be obtained, but it might be worth contacting Foxton Boat Services to see if they have any in stock. The other possibility is a broken or damaged Thermocouple, this cannot be repaired or replaced on it's own and requires you to purchase a completely new control unit. Last time I spoke to Foxton boat Services they still had some in stock but my recollection is that they were about £80!!

I really cannot thnk of any other possibilities but others may have some suggestions.

Unfortunately there are no trouble shooting tips in the manual, but there are some servicing instructions which could be useful. But could I frst check with you that you are using the correct proceedure to light up, which is :- Turn gas on (obvious but I have known people to overlook this) turn the thermostat to zero, hold down the button with the red star on it, and repeatedly press the large ignitin button with a flash on it until the pilot ignites. Hold the red star button down for at least ten seconds and release it gently, check that the pilot is still ignited and turn up the thermostat to full. The main burner should fire up within a few seconds. If for any reason you depress the button with the white dot on it, the main gas supply will be cut off from the burner and you will need to wait for about a minute before it turns the gas back on (you will hear quite a loud click when this happens) then repaet the whole fire up proceedure

Assuming that you have been doing all that correctly, have you checked that the burner is clean? it is unlikely that it would get completely blocked with debris but it is worth a try. To remove it, first turn off the gas supply and disconnect the supply pipe from the contol unit, remove the four nuts holding the burner assembly to the front of the boiler, cerefully remove the thermocouple bulb from its hole in the front of the boiler, and gently remove the burner assembly by pulling it forwards. Cleaning can be done with a stiff brush and by holding the burner upside down and giving it a good shake. At all times be careful to protect the (very thin) thermocouple tube to prevent it form breaking.

If this does not work you may need to replace the FFD device which is a small copper tube running from the underside of the control unit and terminating with the heat sensing probe which projects into the pilot flame. I do not know whether these can still be obtained, but it might be worth contacting Foxton Boat Services to see if they have any in stock. The other possibility is a broken or damaged Thermocouple, this cannot be repaired or replaced on it's own and requires you to purchase a completely new control unit. Last time I spoke to Foxton boat Services they still had some in stock but my recollection is that they were about £80!!

I really cannot thnk of any other possibilities but others may have some suggestions.

[b]Under no circumstances would i recommend you take the gas part of the boiler to bits, unless you are a competent gas engineer or have the system pressure tested afterwards to make sure it is gas tight[/b]

I've also got an Ellis Heatmaster. I don't think there were different models made, so the lack of a label is no disadvantage.

David has eminently described the lighting procedure etc etc. I would just add the following.

1. When you press the ignition button you should be able to see the spark by peering in through the sight glass. It helps if the ambient light is a bit dim. If you can't see a spark, it won't light.

2. Peter Ellis advised me, always hold down the "On" button (the one with the red star) for at least 20 seconds before trying the ignition. This gives enough quantity of gas for it to light properly. He actually said he prefers to go for 30 seconds so it lights with a good bang, to blow the soot off the burners; I don't. Trying to light it too soon, and repeatedly can just gently burn the small amount of gas that has come through without properly lighting it.

3. I once suffered condensation in the pipe that feeds the pilot light, after not using the boiler for some weeks. Apparently this is not uncommon. The gas pressure wasn't enough to clear it; I had to take the whole system off, remove the pilot assembly, and shake the water out.

4. The pilot light should have 2 or 4 flames, each at least half an inch long. If not, it may be blocked or may just need adjusting. It can easily be adjusted if you have a good understanding of what you're doing (if not, find someone who does). Unless it is this big it won't drive the FFD.

I spoke to FBS last month. They still have a good supply of spares.

Allan

I've also got an Ellis Heatmaster. I don't think there were different models made, so the lack of a label is no disadvantage.

David has eminently described the lighting procedure etc etc. I would just add the following.

1. When you press the ignition button you should be able to see the spark by peering in through the sight glass. It helps if the ambient light is a bit dim. If you can't see a spark, it won't light.

2. Peter Ellis advised me, always hold down the "On" button (the one with the red star) for at least 20 seconds before trying the ignition. This gives enough quantity of gas for it to light properly. He actually said he prefers to go for 30 seconds so it lights with a good bang, to blow the soot off the burners; I don't. Trying to light it too soon, and repeatedly can just gently burn the small amount of gas that has come through without properly lighting it.

3. I once suffered condensation in the pipe that feeds the pilot light, after not using the boiler for some weeks. Apparently this is not uncommon. The gas pressure wasn't enough to clear it; I had to take the whole system off, remove the pilot assembly, and shake the water out.

4. The pilot light should have 2 or 4 flames, each at least half an inch long. If not, it may be blocked or may just need adjusting. It can easily be adjusted if you have a good understanding of what you're doing (if not, find someone who does). Unless it is this big it won't drive the FFD.

I spoke to FBS last month. They still have a good supply of spares.

Allan

Yes, some good points there. Another thing I have experienced is a small ball of fluff collecting in the air tube for the pilot. this can be removed either with a small brush, or by blowing it.

• 7 years later...

But could I frst check with you that you are using the correct proceedure to light up, which is :- Turn gas on (obvious but I have known people to overlook this)

Thanks for all the useful information about the Ellis Heatmaster.

However, you may need to add another point before the above. After considerable wasted time and a few choice words I have discovered that the gas supply to my Heatmaster (which is situated at the stern) has been disconnected behind the gas stove, some 20 feet away! Probably explains why it wouldn't light.

David I seem to recall that you had posted a virtual manual on CWF some years ago, I have an Ellis and thought I had found the manual using the search function BUT I may have found it on Google.

Phil

No I have not posted a virtual manual on CWF, and there is no manual on line that I am aware of. Howecver, in 2010, I did post information that I had copied the Installation and maintenace Instructions, and could send a copy to individual members as either a set of JPEGs or as Word document, I need the members email address to do that, that offer still remains.

I have been trying to work out how I could post a permanent copy on CWF, but I seem only able to do it as a set of fourteen images, which would be quite cumbersome to download and print. If anyone knows how I could do it more easily perhaps they could let me know. I am also slightly worried about copyright, Whilst Peter Ellis gave me permission to copy the instructions and send them to individuals, I am uncertain about the legality of posting them publicly.

Edited to add:- If you require a copy of the instrutions Phil, PM your email address and i will send a copy (the Word document is bigger than the JPEG, but is one document, wheras the JPEG is fourteen separate diocuments)

I have tried to post the manual into this thread but unsuccessfully. Does anyone know of a hosting service that accepts pdf files which I can then add a link to? I've tried Photobucket but they dont take pdfs.

In the meantime I have document as a pdf and would be happy to e-mail it to anyone who wants it.

• 2 years later...