charging lesuire batteries off the genie

Featured Posts

i have two options on my battery chlarger, fast charge and trickle charge, will it cause longer term damage to my 115AH lesuire batteries if i charge them on "fast charge"?

And also, the new genie has 12v output as well as 240v but the guy in the shop said we're likely to get faster battery charging out of the 240 output via a battery charger than directly from the 12v output on the genie, why is this? sounds a bit backwards to me....

cheers

hannah

Want one, want one

genie.gif

to charge my batteries

Where do I get one, please please tell

seriously (reluctantly) though the answer to your first is 'no'

and the answer to your second is that the 12V output wasn't designed for charging batteries.

Now 30 people will come along and tell you you need to spend £150

Edited by Chris Pink

i have two options on my battery chlarger, fast charge and trickle charge, will it cause longer term damage to my 115AH lesuire batteries if i charge them on "fast charge"?

And also, the new genie has 12v output as well as 240v but the guy in the shop said we're likely to get faster battery charging out of the 240 output via a battery charger than directly from the 12v output on the genie, why is this? sounds a bit backwards to me....

cheers

hannah

Yes he's almost certainly correct. No matter how backwards it sounds, using a mains driven multi-stage battery charger is going to be more efficient than using a gimmicky, unregulated, low current, 12 volt output from the genny.

The "12V" output from the gennie is a rather dirty 12 volts. What your batteries need to charge them is a good 14.4 - 14.8 volts. At less than 13 volts they will take for ever to charge. So you need a proper charger.

Edited by dor

Fast charge won't harm the batteries providing its not left on indefinitely (and depending on the relative ratings of charger and batteries) but since you are powering this from a genny, I suspect you will want to turn it off when or before the bats are fully charged. What you would not want to do is to plug the charger into the mains and go away for a long time leaving it on fast charge.

you can't have a "dirty" 12 v DC supply, dirty refers to the AC sine wave form.

You can...

I find that the 12V supply from my generator is a waste of time for this purpose. A 240V charger off the generator is much better. I have used "car" type chargers in the past to reasonable effect, but I bought a Sterling charger which is brilliant for the purpose (we have no mains electrickery.)

The 12v generator output seems to be limited to 8 amps which is almost too little to bother with. Using a charger you should be able to get 50+ amps for each KVA rating. Also a well chosen charger will charge in steps suited to the battery's state of charge, with maybe temperature compensation too.

A good three stage charger rated at C/3 will give a reasonably fast charge charging at C/5 or C/10 will possibly get slightly better battery life at the expense of charging time and fuel cost.