Guitar Players ( 'lectric )

Serenity Malc

Featured Posts

Yello,

I wondered who on the forum played electric guitar, on board, whilst not hooked up ?

I'm looking for a valve combo that can rock the boat in sound terms ... but not kill my battery pack too quickly ?

I'm thinking a small 18 watt or maybe even 5 watt valve combo to replace my 2 x 40 watt Marshall IC combo.

I like dirty valve sounds at lower volumes ..... overdrive rules !

Malc. :rolleyes:

BTW .. I'm not a financially rich man ATM.

Edited by Serenity Malc

Yello,

Go for it Carlt ! .... I'm looking for something that I can drive the valves at lower volumes.

I used to have a TSL 601 Marshall when I lived on land ... and it had everything I could ever have wanted. Now I'm soon to be faced with some CCing and am looking for something cheaper to be able to overdrive maybe a 5 watt valve amp and run whilst I'm CCing.

Good little amp the Epi by the looks ... but pure China nevertheless.

Malc B)

Edited by Serenity Malc

Yello,

I wondered who on the forum played electric guitar, on board, whilst not hooked up ?

I'm looking for a valve combo that can rock the boat in sound terms ... but not kill my battery pack too quickly ?

I'm thinking a small 18 watt or maybe even 5 watt valve combo to replace my 2 x 40 watt Marshall IC combo.

Try a Blackstar HT 1 watt valve amp

http://www.blackstaramps.com/products/ht-1/

Edited by Leepers

Yello,

Not valve, but I use a Roland Micro Cube on my boat. Lots of built in effects including distortion.

roland-micro-cube-free-delivery--1971-p.jpg

Runs off batteries, and I also have a DC/DC convertor so I can run it from the boat electrics.

Right, that's it with all this musical talent on the canal we form a band, but first we need a name. My starters for 10 are the Righteous Bargers or Emerson, Lake & Pumpout. Famed as many of you are for your ready wit let's see what you can come up with.

Oh! Earthcloset, Wind & Fire.

Yello,

This was my last Baby .... sold to pay the mortgage then @ £500.

marshalltsl601jcm200000.jpg

This was a mint Marshall TSL 601 Special Edition ( in blue ! )

Now I need something MUCH more boat electric friendly but a little more than basic.

Malc. B)

Edited by Serenity Malc

I'm a Marshall man myself. I've never been able to get the sound I wanted from a small speaker. The closest was from a Tom Scholz from Boston fame thingy. Headphone jobby. Can't remember the name. Easy on juice and the neighbours. Doesn't go to 11 though.

I have:-

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=epiphone+valve+junior&hl=en&safe=off&biw=1440&bih=698&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=629893296303813705&sa=X&ei=gTDCUMngD8eR0QWu6YHIDA&ved=0CEAQ8wIwAA

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&safe=off&q=vox+lil+night+train&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=5919337703352313493&sa=X&ei=YjDCUL2pAqSV0QXkvICYAQ&ved=0CFMQ8gIwAQ

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&safe=off&q=vox+4+watt+valve+amp&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=17754660032555718795&sa=X&ei=LDDCULK6CobO0QWa0oG4Cw&ved=0CE8Q8gIwAw

And they're all brilliant. Regardless of price.

PS. Thinking more about this, whenever I'm recording I nearly always use the Vox AC4 through the Epiphone speaker designed to go with the Valve junior. I also have the Vox matching speaker for the AC4TVH but it doesn't sound quite as creamy.

I'm a Marshall man myself. I've never been able to get the sound I wanted from a small speaker. The closest was from a Tom Scholz from Boston fame thingy. Headphone jobby.

Rockman. I still have one somewhere.

PS http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=tom+scholz+rockman&LH_PrefLoc=1

It's faulty, but you might be lucky with an easy fix.

Edited by Gibbo

I'm a Marshall man myself. I've never been able to get the sound I wanted from a small speaker. The closest was from a Tom Scholz from Boston fame thingy. Headphone jobby. Can't remember the name. Easy on juice and the neighbours. Doesn't go to 11 though.

the rockbox. a very dated but distinctive sound and a great piece of kit for its time,would allso run on batteries. the line 6 range of pod boxes would be the modern equivalent http://line6.com/effects.they allso do a guitar [variaxe]with different amp modeling sounds built in.they have no pick ups.dont know if they are any good but seem like an interesting idea ffor a dial up off the shelf sound http://line6.com/guitars.you can allso get an attenuator [i think marshall might make one]whereby you can crank an amp but keep the volume low.http://www.tedweber.com/atten.htm

i would say there are many copy cats and chinese versions but line 6 were the market leaders a few years back.

Edited by pquinn

Rockman.

That's the one. Blue I think it was. The problem with the attenuating jobbies is that the same amount of juice is being used. I've used all the classic amps. AC30s a voluble of Gibson combos. Wish I still had them now. And every Marshall you can name. Right down to the original "blues breaker" combo. Over rated but still a nice bit of kit. Trouble is mainly the speakers. I had a 1959 model 100 watt Marshall amp. Fucking loud but it sounded best with 2 4x12s. Totally mad. Totally over the top. There's probably a modern solution to it but as far as I know you need " movement ". And I'm afraid that means volume. Unless you go the head phone route.

There's probably a modern solution to it but as far as I know you need " movement ". And I'm afraid that means volume.

It used to be the case.

A small valve amp (1 to 5 watts), close miked with a small amount of post "room" reverb is almost impossible to distinguish from a wall of amplifiers.

I'll do a side by side recording later today (when the rest of the house wakes up).

I don't know how to post links but if you want check out 'Charlie 'Ungry. Something may come up with some stuff we did in the 70s. Mainly Les Paul Custom and a 1959 100 watt Marshall head and a four by twelve can. Did some with a rock and roll baby. Don't be too critical. We were only young. ?

Just checked. Nothing comes up. Probably just as well.

Edited by fudd

Yello,

Well .... ta Gibbo, you have a fine selection of small tube heads there ! I have 2 x 12" Celestion G12's I think, in my old Marshall 8240 combo to run a small valve head through. So I'm looking for a low power ( 5 watt ?) tube head that I can readily overdrive to the max. I also have an old Boss ME50 multi pedal to play about with.

So .... which of your heads is your favourite ? I like the look of the AC4, but obviously it's the sound that counts. I also require it to have reverb because I don't want to have to run the Boss all the time. The Blackstar HT-1 looks good as well.

Malc. B)

Edited by Serenity Malc

Yello,

This was my last Baby .... sold to pay the mortgage then @ £500.

marshalltsl601jcm200000.jpg

This was a mint Marshall TSL 601 Special Edition ( in blue ! )

Now I need something MUCH more boat electric friendly but a little more than basic.

Malc. B)

Is that the one that goes up to 11?