Killer cookers - Recall Notice on Beko, Leisure & Flavel brands

Featured Posts

What is the danger?

On these specific cookers, designed with a separate grill, deadly carbon monoxide can build up if the grill door is closed whilst the grill is on. Double oven cookers are not affected by the issue as they are designed to work with the top oven/grill door closed.

To their credit Beko have a prominent warning on their home page, which is easily found. However, the Glen Dimplex web site has nothing about it anywhere at the time of writing.

Quote from Beko’s safety warning notice

FOLLOW THE PRODUCT INSTRUCTION MANUAL AND DO NOT OPERATE THE GRILL WITH THE GRILL DOOR CLOSED.

When the grill burner is on, the grill door must always be in the open position. If the grill is operated with the grill door closed, the air supply to the grill burner is restricted which can cause extremely dangerous levels of carbon monoxide to be produced which can pose a very serious risk to health.

Affected Beko cookers (Beko, Leisure & Flavel brands)
Belling
Beko DCG8511WLPG
Beko DCG8511PLW
Beko DG581LWP
Leisure CM10NRK
Leisure CM10NRC
Leisure AL6NDW
Leisure CM101NRCP
Leisure CM101NRKP
Flavel DCGAP5LS
Flavel AP5LDWP
Flavel AP5LDW
Flavel AP5LDSP
Flavel Milano ML5NDS

By removing part of the rubber seal you can allow air into the grill to allow a clean burn.

What is the danger?

FOLLOW THE PRODUCT INSTRUCTION MANUAL AND DO NOT OPERATE THE GRILL WITH THE GRILL DOOR CLOSED.

On the ITT one, if you shut the grill door, it cuts out! Only way to reset is to remove the oven unit, take of the back cover and press the little red button, then put it all back!

I assume they use a thermal cutout, but it works!

Sounds like the same issue that New World issued a safety alert for a few years back, and they sent their engineers out free of charge to fix it by removing a couple of inches from the rubber seal around the grill door. The modification took about 10 seconds to do but must have cost New World a fair bit of money.

This is an industry-wide problem not restricted to this list of cookers above, I believe.

My cooker at home has a grill in this format and does not appear on the list. The grill pan supplied is designed in such a way that the grill pan handle prevents the grill door from being closed when in use, and the grill pan handle has to be be removed from the pan so the grill door can be closed when not in use.

The problem is, the pan is cumbersomely large and I am tempted to get a smaller more convenient grill pan, which probably WILL happen to allow the grill door to be closed when in use. So anyone replacing the correct grill pan with a smaller one of a mor practical design may find they can shut the grill door while the grill is running. The grill chamber also looks identical to a 'top oven', further encouraging the instinctive thought that it is designed for use with the door closed.

MtB

(edited to clarify a sentence)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

I must admit that I thought the safety feature was that the gas would cut itself out, rather than that there was enough ventilation built in to keep it safe though, is this the case or does it vary between brands?

Sounds like the same issue that New World issued a safety alert for a few years back, and they sent their engineers out free of charge to fix it by removing a couple of inches from the rubber seal around the grill door. The modification took about 10 seconds to do but must have cost New World a fair bit of money.

I have the model of New World cooker that was affected by this and had to contact them and check serial numbers etc. to find out if mine was one of the dodgy ones (it was not).

The barge I am currently living on has a stoves double oven with rotostar burners. The grill will not light unless the door is fully open. If you close the door once grill is alight (with or without a pan in) the grill extinguishes itself. If You turn the knob to oven position, then the rotostar burners light and run normally. I do have problems with the hob unit though, but only on the Wok burner, this has a habit of setting off the nearby CO monitor. It has been checked by Stoves (twice), and they say it is within spec. I suppose as this fifth burner is only in use for short periods I can live with it.

This is an industry-wide problem not restricted to this list of cookers above, I believe.

My cooker at home has a grill in this format and does not appear on the list. The grill pan supplied is designed in such a way that the grill pan handle prevents the grill door from being closed when in use, and the grill pan handle has to be be removed from the pan so the grill door can be closed when not in use.

The problem is, the pan is cumbersomely large and I am tempted to get a smaller more convenient grill pan, which probably WILL happen to allow the grill door to be closed when in use. So anyone replacing the correct grill pan with a smaller one of a mor practical design may find they can shut the grill door while the grill is running. The grill chamber also looks identical to a 'top oven', further encouraging the instinctive thought that it is designed for use with the door closed.

MtB

(edited to clarify a sentence)

All the cooker needs for a safe burn of gas is an 2 inch air gap in the rubber seal. If your cooker has an air tight rubber seal and no vents at the back, cut off the bottom rubber seal.

Edited by The Bagdad Boatman (waits)

The barge I am currently living on has a stoves double oven with rotostar burners. The grill will not light unless the door is fully open. If you close the door once grill is alight (with or without a pan in) the grill extinguishes itself. If You turn the knob to oven position, then the rotostar burners light and run normally. I do have problems with the hob unit though, but only on the Wok burner, this has a habit of setting off the nearby CO monitor. It has been checked by Stoves (twice), and they say it is within spec. I suppose as this fifth burner is only in use for short periods I can live with it.

All gas hobs produce CO. IT is a by-product of 'flame chilling', which occurs by design on the underside of a saucepan. This is why CO detector instructions usually give very specific installation location specifications, sometime stating NOT in a kitchen at all.

MtB

• 6 months later...

What is the danger?

On these specific cookers, designed with a separate grill, deadly carbon monoxide can build up if the grill door is closed whilst the grill is on. Double oven cookers are not affected by the issue as they are designed to work with the top oven/grill door closed.

To their credit Beko have a prominent warning on their home page, which is easily found. However, the Glen Dimplex web site has nothing about it anywhere at the time of writing.

There's still 10,000 recalled cookers unaccounted for out there. see ITV tonight at 7.30pm

Is on on your boat?

• 1 year later...

I have to admit the safety issue has never occured to me, we only use the grill on the boat cooker to make toast, and the pan is in and out like a fidler's elbow checking that the toast isn't burnt, and the handle prevents the door from closing. The cooker at home is electric with the grill doubling up as a top oven, I assume being electric there is not a problem.