Egg bridge Waverton

canalboater2012

Featured Posts

I will more than likely be slattered for posting this post about the "shroppie" again as people think am promoting Tattenhall marina.

but i was out today and got into conversation at the marina with a fellow moorer. he said he had spent the night moored outside the cheshire cat pub at Waverton and this morning he had been hit by a guy reversing his boat back to the winding hole by bridge 121 Christleton. i asked why didnt the boater just cruise to egg bridge winding hole to wind. I was told that you cant wind there as it has signs to say you cant and is no longer a designated winding hole....anyone any ideas????

Aww right I've moored there a few times.the people who buy theses new apartments need to remember the canal was there before them!!!

As licence holders we have a RIGHT to navigate and moor as we wish without let or hindrance from canal side residents who have no rights whatever at law. No more than people who live on the side of a road have a right to warn or advise people to pass quietly.

Exactly next time I come out of the marina for a short cruise next Sat now depending on the ice iam going to cruise up past the 2 miles thought shanty town " golden knook " & wind at egg bridge then ill more up & run the engine & may even get the generator out to add salt to the womb!!!

I've turned there before - it's a bit tight especially when idiots (C&RT) moor up directly opposite in the bridge 'ole. I believe someone took out a newly installed fence/wall there once which resulted in a complaint to BW. A certain woman has been known to run out and shout every now an again if she see's someone turning! Can't see a problem if you take care.

Exactly next time I come out of the marina for a short cruise next Sat now depending on the ice iam going to cruise up past the 2 miles thought shanty town " golden knook " & wind at egg bridge then ill more up & run the engine & may even get the generator out to add salt to the womb!!!

Sorry "add salt to the womb" surely you mean "wound". Why would you want to add salt to a womb, de-ice it possibly? Answers on a postcard please.

When was Egg Bridge officially a winding hole?

As I understand it, it is/was a private wharf and not an official winding hole, and as such is effectively "private water". My old 2003 Nicholsons doesn't show it as a winding hole, and Nicholsons has a reputation for putting in winding holes anywhere it thought the canal is a bit wider than normal.

Some private winding holes have signs up saying "winding by permission of the owner" presumably to prevent winding becoming a right.

As for mooring up opposite houses, that is a completely different matter! Whenever I see those signs, like the ones at Waverton, It always tempts me to stop.

Last year around this time we arrived at the bottom lock at blackburn to find the bottom pound drained :banghead: and we havn't seen another boater for miles and all the vandle locks were locked. It took us all day to get to the top as when we drained one pound to fill the other and so on. At this time of year with not many people on the system the locks must leak.

Edited by leeco

This "designated winding hole" business bemuses me. Juno is only 23 feet long and can be turned almost anywhere, but does that mean that I am not allowed to turn her unless at a winding hole?

How does that work with 60 footer on the Gloucester and Sharpness? (similar situation, but on a bigger scale)

As for mooring up opposite houses, that is a completely different matter! Whenever I see those signs, like the ones at Waverton, It always tempts me to stop.

Unless it's all been improved, the only place you can moor at Waverton is opposite the houses - everywhere else is too shallow. And it's the last shop for miles going south. The "wharf", last time I looked, had some nice bollards and a sign saying reserved for BW boats and the disabled boat.

Kevin have I upset you or you just being an absolute A**e for the fun.

Iam dyslexic hence the bad way with words

Dont worry about it canalboater, there is always some bright spark to pick people up. I cant spell to save my life and rely totally on the spell checker but they sometimes puts the wrong word in.

When was Egg Bridge officially a winding hole?

As I understand it, it is/was a private wharf and not an official winding hole, and as such is effectively "private water". My old 2003 Nicholsons doesn't show it as a winding hole, and Nicholsons has a reputation for putting in winding holes anywhere it thought the canal is a bit wider than normal.

Some private winding holes have signs up saying "winding by permission of the owner" presumably to prevent winding becoming a right.

This was never a winding hole but the mooring basin for "Holidaymakers (Cheshire)" Waverton Mill,Eggbridge Lane Waverton.The other side of the bridge was "Eggbridge Marine", they also had GRP hire boats and a slipway.Anyone remember them..?

• 1 month later...

I remember Eggbridge being a wharfe. However for the last 25yrs at least it has been used for winding and is recorded as such on both of my Nicholsons guides.

I was there on Sunday around 10am. I turned in to be met with a black and white sign, in the Canal and River Trust format but minus the logo, which stated NO WINDING.

Of course I had already turned in prior to reading the sign ;) so I continued to wind much to the annoyance of some local busybody who came flying out of his house to remonstrate. He wasnt in the mood to listen and would not answer when I asked who had put the sign up. I finished winding and carried on, much to his annoyance.

My question is.......who is responsible for the sign?

I have sent off an equiry to the CRT and await their response.

In the meantime I shall continue to wind there since my little 42' boat fits nicely. and caused no trouble to anyone. Just a thought but what if f my boat was 30' and would wind at that site but whithout going onto the actual winding hole?

I will keep you informed if and when the CRT get back to me.

Mike

Edited by MIke Rimmer

I remember Eggbridge being a wharfe. However for the last 25yrs at least it has been used for winding and is recorded as such on both of my Nicholsons guides.

I was there on Sunday around 10am. I turned in to be met with a black and white sign, in the Canal and River Trust format but minus the logo, which stated NOW WINDING.

Of course I had already turned in prior to reading the sign ;) so I continued to wind much to the annoyance of some local busybody who came flying out of his house to remonstrate. He wasnt in the mood to listen and would not answer when I asked who had put the sign up. I finished winding and carried on, much to his annoyance.

In the meantime I shall continue to wind there since my little 42' boat fits nicely. and caused no trouble to anyone. Just a thought but wahatif my boat was 30' and would wind at that site but whithout going onto the actual winding hole?

Mike

my response to people who say you can't wind/moor up here is the same as the ones who run out and say 'you can't park there'...

I reply with a friendly smile saying 'I'll think you'll find I just have' ....

Edited by jonathanA

If a boat fits in then anywhere is a winding hole.

Since when were there officially designated turning points?

A winding hole is merely a wider lump of canal.

my response to people who say you can't wind/moor up here is the same as the ones who run out and say 'you can't park there'...

It's the ones that have their own set of traffic cones to obstruct the highway outside their house that amuse me the most.

If I'm in a good mood I'll get out, move the cones onto the idiot's front garden then park but, if I'm feeling a bit grumpy then the cones get squashed.

we moored there just before the bridge last August. There was a sign saying reserved for BW boats (obviously hadn't changed the sign then) but we moored a litle further back, opposite the new flats. As we were on the towpath side we were within our rights. No problems but someones comments about the local duckpond ring true. Someone came out of ther flats and emptied their cereal packet into the canal and whereas that doesn't bother me the ducks are obviously used to the regular feeding spot - this is the noisiest place we have stayed we were rudely awakened by a large group (sorry i cant remember the collective word for ducks is it flock or is that geese?) of ducks early the next morning eagerly waiting their next feed!

Someone came out of ther flats and emptied their cereal packet into the canal ...

In direct contravention of Byelaw 40:

No person shall throw or discharge into or on to any canal any

animal (whether alive or dead) or any rubbish, stones or other

material of any kind whatsoever or deposit such materials so as

to be washed or carried into any canal by floods or other means,

or in any wise cause obstruction in any canal.

I was there on Sunday around 10am. I turned in to be met with a black and white sign, in the Canal and River Trust format but minus the logo, which stated NO WINDING.

In the meantime I shall continue to wind there since my little 42' boat fits nicely. and caused no trouble to anyone. Just a thought but what if f my boat was 30' and would wind at that site but whithout going onto the actual winding hole?

Mike

DSC01875reduced_zps34e2840e.jpg

It looks like an official sign, is it? How on earth can they enforce it? And HOW ON EARTH DID YOU MISS IT BEFORE WINDING!!!!