Canal World

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DandV

Boating on the sunny side of the globe

6 posts in this topic

As a change from the dangerous rainfall levels you are suffering from here we are coping with seasonal dangerous UV levels. Stay safe anyway. Some of your photos are really scary, thanks for posting.

I did not race this Sunday 25th November as we had guests Mike and Jane Broome over from the UK, so a day ashore for me. My place on the boat was taken by Laura Dekker now barely seventeen and already with one and a half solo round the world sailing voyages behind her on her yacht Guppy. Mike Broome is a volunteer for your Canal and Waterways trust Waterways Museum at Gloucester. He also had a camera with a long lens so after a quick visit through our maritime museum and farewelling Waitangi we caught the ferry across to Devonport and ensconced ourselves on the clubhouse deck next to the race officials for the race start. It was fascinating to see the race official team in action. We headed up Mt Victoria for the view and then back to the foreshore for fish and chips as the race finished. Thanks to Mike for his long lens shots.

CopyofDSC04625_01_zps22a3c1f6.jpg

Prestart Waitangi 1894 rear Thelma 1897 Helen 1948 Rainbow 1898 front

DSC04630_01_zps5c393b83.jpg

Start Rainbow Thelma and Helen

CopyofDSC04622_01_zps41067643.jpg

Waitangi and Kiariki

CopyofDSC04641_01_zps83fe7b17.jpg

Jessie Logan 1880 looking very smart. Reputably the oldest purpose built active racing yacht in the world

CopyofDSC04636_01_zpse4bd1b85.jpg

Waitangi off racing

DSC04652_01_zps11269ae2.jpg

Waitangi and Rainbow duelling

CopyofDSC04670_01_zps856fdd76.jpg

Race over. Time to hurry home Waitangi

Kiwi Don

Beautiful weather,beautiful boats.Thanks for sharing.So bloody jealous,never mind next year we will have a good summer. B)

Thanks for those, always good to see classic yachts out on the water.

I'll have to do a bit of research to see if there's any yachts on the Broads older than 1880. I know of a few from the 1890s, one of which is still in a hire fleet, and it's not at all unusual for them to be still racing more than a century after they were built.

I can't post the picture here, but if you follow Start of a race you'll find some pictures of classic yacht racing on the Norfolk Broads. I occasionally crew for various friends (only occasionally as a weekend's racing is generally followed by a week of agony as all the muscles I didn't know I had let me know they've been used far too much).

I can't post the picture here, but if you follow Start of a race you'll find some pictures of classic yacht racing on the Norfolk Broads. I occasionally crew for various friends (only occasionally as a weekend's racing is generally followed by a week of agony as all the muscles I didn't know I had let me know they've been used far too much).

Know the agony feeling well, especially if the race is on a confined course so lots of tacking and gybing, neither Waitangi or Thelma are fitted with winches, all block and tackle. Waitangi's main sheet is 240ft long af which all but 20ft is active. To gybe four people to retrieve 220 ft of line to let it go again. The mainsheet hand can find their gloves smelling of burnt as they ensure the sheet enters the blocks without tangling immediately after the gybe. The main is 1200sqft and the topsail 240sqft.

There certainly were some beautiful and well kept old yachts when I took a broads cruise in the 1970's.

If anyone is passing through Auckland this Southern Summer let me know, I should be able to get you on board for a look.

Two major classic regattas first 25th-28th Jan and then 8th-10th Feb.

Don

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0