RCR waterways mapping app.

pete.i

Featured Posts

Good morning all.

I have just started to read the October issue of The Tillergraph that came with my copy of Canal Boat. In it there is an advert for The RCR and splashed across the ad is a banner saying that Waterways Mapping is free for all members. I have just been on to RCR web site to have a look at this software and I find that this software is actually £126:72p with an additional 10% off if I am a member, which I am. I am unable to log in to the web site as RCR say they do not recognise my email address even though they have been sending me emails to that address, the last one dated 15th/10/12 which was about RCR courses.

Am I missing something here or have I got hold of the wrong end of the stick.

Thanks

Pete

Don't get me started on RCR and their admin....let alone anything else!!

You could try giving them a ring....I would be interested in what they say!

Cheers

Gareth

Hmm well to be fair the log in problem was probably me. I assumed that because I am a member and they have sent me emails I had log in details. I registered and now I can log in to the shop which is where I was trying to go. in the shop there are lots of apps to download each one for a different part of the system and each one costing £6:00p. Still not free.

Pete

There's a bit on their site which says it's a download app for iphone or android at about £6 a region and "RCR will be providing one region of your choice to our members as a free membership benefit, with additional regions being available at a discount to members. .All RCR members will receive notification on how and where to download their regional map as soon as it is available"

The standalone software is over a hundred quid - the old CanalPlanner was about fifty i seem to remember and I presume the onlne CanalPlan is still up and running and free to use.

There's a bit on their site which says it's a download app for iphone or android at about £6 a region and "RCR will be providing one region of your choice to our members as a free membership benefit, with additional regions being available at a discount to members. .All RCR members will receive notification on how and where to download their regional map as soon as it is available"

The standalone software is over a hundred quid - the old CanalPlanner was about fifty i seem to remember and I presume the onlne CanalPlan is still up and running and free to use.

Ah okay. I missed the bit about only getting the region of my choice for free and I haven't received any notification from RCR regarding that yet. Still not free though for the complete app. You are right about the price. Well over a hundred quid for the standalone and I think the Tillergraph advert is a bit misleading. There ya go. Thanks for that anyway.

Pete

I recently inquired about this "member benefit" and am still waiting for a reply. however, when I made a inquiry regarding my membership and this involved the payment of money I had a prompt reply.???

Perhaps you should have sent one email containing both enquiries :D

I don't know if they are similar to this http://www.waterwayroutes.co.uk/wr/cruising-maps.html

The Waterway Routes cruising maps have been published and working well for over 18 months, and they work on computers as well as smart phones so you get a full size screen.

The software is free for computers and laptops. The App is free for Androids and £4.99 on iphone/iPad.

The Droitwich Canals cruising maps are free to download so you can see how good they are and check they work on your device. The rest of the maps can be downloaded for a few pounds each. Just buy what you need, with a discount for the full England & Wales maps.

These are brand new maps with up to date data which has all been recently verified and not just licenced out of date Nicholson’s data as used by others. If you tell Waterway Routes of a recent change they update the master map quickly to keep the maps up to date and you get a year of free updates, with discounts after that.

The maps are available in Acrobat (pdf) format for those who like to print in a traditional format and in Memory-Map (qct) format for use on computers, Androids and iPhone/iPad with real-time tracking like sat-nav on GPS enabled devices.

Their maps and DVDs are great for Christmas presents.

Edited by canal

Hi All

I recently remembered RCR having a partnership with E-Canal, the developers of an Android and iPhone canal mapping app at Crick Boat Show. The offer was for one free region of the app per member.

The iPhone version was a long time coming but appeared and I thought I would give it a go and downloaded a region at £5.99. I then remembered the RCR offer and so telephoned them, I was told to check their website and follow the instructions, not very helpful as I wanted the iPhone version, not available from their site.

Just to give it a go I emailed the developer E-Canal and I must say found them to be very helpful. Mike Kelly replied very promptly and explained simply the procedure required to get either a refund for my existing region or for an additional region upon me supplying my RCR Membership Number.

They are also vey keen to be informed of changes ''on the ground so they can keep the product relevant to the boater.

The app is not the full Waterway mapping package but is useful and is still being developed with more functions promised.

Check it out at www.canalmap.info/

Hope this helps

Kevin

'

Canalplan AC is still up and running, is still totally free (and always will be), and is still being actively developed

Steve