Finding moorings

charles123

Featured Posts

As I plan to change moorings once again this year and again before next spring in order to see more of the network I thought I would jot down some of my findings. Does anyone else have any thoughts?

Firstly its not easy to find a mooring, but they do come up, you have to be persistant

Find out the name of the marina boss or person responsible, speak only to that person, dont leave messages. Personally going to the marina will help but a one off visit wont be of much use as they wont remember you

Dont be put off by the flippant response you get sometimes, remember its a sellers market, they wont have any problems selling the mooring

A new marina will create short term availability in marinas in the vacinity as some move in to the new one for a change of scene, thats a good time to search

Not much point in going on waiting lists, they are filled with ancient history, better to ring up regularly. I doubt that when a mooring comes up they ring the next on the list, they will speak to someone that has recently made contact or someone that stands out from the crowd for some reason

Personal contact will help, if you know of anyone in the marina they will know the boss and could ask for you

Its better to already have a boat or in the process of buying one, I doubt if they marinas take much notice of the "wanabee boaters" request for moorings

You will almost certainly find a mooring in a new to open marina

For a marina being built they may well sell you a mooring "off plan" for a discount

There is no point in commiting to a long term arrangement if you want to move, better to pay a shorther term fee for the flexibility, the timing of a mooring will seldom match your existing arrangement

That's so true about waiting lists - the bloke we bought our boat off was away cruising when he got to the 'top of the list'. They gave 'his' mooring to someone else, it was a whole two years before he got another one!

I think you need to be the most visible and keen to get a mooring, otherwise you'll be forgotten about.

Yeah, simuarly we've been told there xxhundread people on the waiting list, but he'll add us on with the others.

- then next day (literally once) get a phone call "someone just left, want there space" Lol!

Daniel

Yep,I got a mooring same day I phoned a marina up that I was told never have any available!...Only snag was it had no electric.I must be the only boat owner there that doesnt have.But as it was a condition of mooring,then I cant complain,despite that fact I :angry: do!!!!!

Edited by iteldoo4me

I've discovered it pays to do your homework. As I spend a lot of time at Bardney, compared to many I know most of the boaters, and when they leave. For instance a couple of weeks ago I helped someone move a small Microplus he had bought, so know the mooring is now available, as he has taken it to Scotland. So when asked I usually know which boat is where, and which moorings are available........more than BW. In fact the mooring officer sometimes asks me.

If you want a mooring, and have a boat.

Go to the marina or moorings. Find out what is available, usually someone will know. If there is a space, try to find out where the boat is, and when, or if it is returning. If you discover it is now moored somewhere else, yet the mooring is still payed for, try to contact the owner, either by giving your contact details to BW and asking them to pass them on to the owner, or contacting directly if you know their number.

If you see boats for sale, make a note of the phone numbers. You can always phone to ask the owner if he sells to let you know. After all it may be worthwile for them as you can pay the remainder, or send in for the refund on their behalf.

When you have all the information, and you know where the boat has gone, and the person who has the mooring, then contact BW (or the owner).

If you WANT a mooring, and not just phone to be put on a list, this is the best way to do it.

..........A new marina will create short term availability in marinas in the vacinity as some move in to the new one for a change of scene, thats a good time to search

That worked for me last time as a new marina sometimes causes a mass exodus from a nearby marina creating spaces. I'm told today by a moorer that the new (expensive!) Swanley marina near Nantwich is to receive several boats from nearby Venitian marina (cheaper) over the next few months.

Noah