Help, I need a new engine!

Cordso

Featured Posts

My narrowboat is 40 ft long ad my engine has died. I am researching new and recon engines but I don't know which engines are the best, price relative. For new engines I'm being quoted £4-5000. Is it better to go through a manufacturer with 3 year warranty or someone offering a deal? What is the price I could expect for a recon engine and would it be a bad investment long term? I travel up and down the River Thames and Regent's Canal. Is 37hp enough?

I would really appreciate some guidance. Have quotes on new engines made by Beta Marine, Vetus, Mermaid Marine MP range and an independent dealer on Volvo Perkins and Kabuto. Any advice gladly received.Thanks!

My narrowboat is 40 ft long ad my engine has died. I am researching new and recon engines but I don't know which engines are the best, price relative. For new engines I'm being quoted £4-5000. Is it better to go through a manufacturer with 3 year warranty or someone offering a deal? What is the price I could expect for a recon engine and would it be a bad investment long term? I travel up and down the River Thames and Regent's Canal. Is 37hp enough?

I would really appreciate some guidance. Have quotes on new engines made by Beta Marine, Vetus, Mermaid Marine MP range and an independent dealer on Volvo Perkins and Kabuto. Any advice gladly received.Thanks!

Welcome to the forum -

You say 'died'

What is wrong with it? as in, is beyond any sort of repair? and what make is it?

Welcome to the forum.

The general advice is to fit the same make of engine that you have (if they are still available), reason additional work to make a different type/make fit can be as much as or more than a new engine.

What engine do you have at the moment? Replacing with the same is going to be much, much cheaper

Richard

My current engine is what my engineer described as "the oldest he's ever seen". A Newage commander. I'm not hopeful of finding the same one! I think it was an old taxi engine.

Welcome to the forum -

You say 'died'

What is wrong with it? as in, is beyond any sort of repair? and what make is it?

It was a Newage Commander. I don't think I'll find the same again. We tried replacing various parts but it has completely seized, water got in there.

My current engine is what my engineer described as "the oldest he's ever seen". A Newage commander. I'm not hopeful of finding the same one! I think it was an old taxi engine.

It was a Newage Commander. I don't think I'll find the same again. We tried replacing various parts but it has completely seized, water got in there.

Is that not otherwise known as a BMC? I think Richard might know?

Ahoy and welcome. I wouldn't go bigger than the one you have as the skin tank if fitted might not be big enough to cool the extra heat generated by a larger engine if propped accordingly.

Thanks. I don't need a skin tank as I have a fitted water tank for keel cooling but good advice.

Is that not otherwise known as a BMC? I think Richard might know?

Yes it's a BMC engine but the bigger 2.2L Taxi engine, very much less common in narrow boats than the "B series" 1.5 or 1.8 litre engines.

Quite a beast to be in a 40 foot boat, really.

Some info here on ASAP Supplies site, about origins and parts.

I think the Commander was the old BMC 2.2 litre Taxi engine, so loads of power for that size of boat, too much in fact and very heavy.

I may be wrong but even if the old engine is dead as a dodo they are readily available as are the parts and if the boat has been engineered to run with that weight and power to change to something else would affect the trim and you may need to get into changing the prop etc.

Where is Richard (RLWP) I think that is the engine he has in Tawny Owl? He will have some helpful advise I am sure

Yes it's a BMC engine but the bigger 2.2L Taxi engine, very much less common in narrow boats than the "B series" 1.5 or 1.8 litre engines.

Quite a beast to be in a 40 foot boat, really.

Some info here on ASAP Supplies site, about origins and parts.

Many thanks.

Where is Richard (RLWP) I think that is the engine he has in Tawny Owl? He will have some helpful advise I am sure

No Tawny Owl has a much more common 1.8L BMC.

Not sure I'd be too keen on "Death Baot" hire boats powered by one og those big buggers you get in Taxis.

Back to original post.....

Presumably the £4K to £5K being quoted for a modern engine is no more than the engine cost, and doesn't include any installation charge, or engineering changes necessary to accommodate it ?

I suspect, (depending on how much you can do cheaply or yourself), the total costs could be a lot higher.

Ours is a BMC 1.8

However, I have recently resuscitated a BMC 2.2 which was seized up after sinking - twice. It now runs very nicely

Pretty bomb proof, some spares available, unlikely to share anything with a modern engine. If replacing with a more modern unit expect to be buying an engine, getting the engine bearers modified, new flywheel housing, new engine mounts, exhaust, cooling, and on and on and on

Bizzard is in your neck of the woods (London way), and is hot on ancient engines

Richard

p.s. engine is from an Austin Gypsy, not taxi

Edited by RLWP

No Tawny Owl has a much more common 1.8L BMC.

Not sure I'd be too keen on "Death Baot" hire boats powered by one og those big buggers you get in Taxis.

Back to original post.....

Presumably the £4K to £5K being quoted for a modern engine is no more than the engine cost, and doesn't include any installation charge, or engineering changes necessary to accommodate it ?

I suspect, (depending on how much you can do cheaply or yourself), the total costs could be a lot higher.

You're right. Just the engine, including VAT in the better cases, excl Vat in the worse. Beta Marine and Mermaid Marine both have engines with measurements that fit. Then my engineer will charge per day.

I may be wrong but even if the old engine is dead as a dodo they are readily available as are the parts and if the boat has been engineered to run with that weight and power to change to something else would affect the trim and you may need to get into changing the prop etc.

Although too powerful really at approaching around 50hp, but yes i couldn't agree more.

p.s. engine is from an Austin Gypsy, not taxi

:smiley_offtopic: ASAP supplies reckon used in FX4 taxis as well as the Gypsy......

Common road vehicle applications for the BMC2.2 diesel engine included the BMC Leyland Gypsy and the FX4 Taxi

Curiously, the one I just finished is in a 36 foot boat, and overpropped too

Richard

You undersell yourself -

New website coming soon....

Just thinking like.... your call...

You undersell yourself -

New website coming soon....

Just thinking like.... your call...

Yes, my website people are nagging me too about the 1st of November approaching

I love deadlines, they make such a lovely noise as they pass...

Richard

:smiley_offtopic: ASAP supplies reckon used in FX4 taxis as well as the Gypsy......

I stand corrected

Richard

The water pump is apparently the same as an Austin Healey