Midlands Brokers.

canals are us?

Featured Posts

I will be back in the UK next week and plan to start my narrowboat search :cheers: I will be looking in the Midlands area. Which brokers should I visit?

Any small companies I should visit that aren't as well known?

I have a small budget of up to £20,000 I would Ideally like looking at 40-50ft narrowboats. I definately want a fixed double bed and without viewing a standard layout.

Like the front door(s)off the salon. I keep looking at Whilton, Greathaywood, apollo duck, Notts boats, Rugby boats, ABNB, Braunston Marina websites.

I want to visit and view as many in my price range. It's very exciting to start viewing :captain:

James :cheers:

Try BWML at Sawley (near Long Eaton)- they usually have some in your price range- some people aren't too keen on the Brokers- they tend to give you the keys and let you get on with it- but we found them helpful at the time we were looking

Try Alvechurch too. Bear in mind that a 40-50ft boat at £20,000 is likely to need a bit of work doing to it. They're out there but it's definitely the cheap end of the market.

When I was buying, I originally set a budget of £25,000 for around 50ft and was consistantly dissapointed by what I found. Ended up paying over £30,000 for a boat which was leagues better.

Try BWML at Sawley (near Long Eaton)- they usually have some in your price range- some people aren't too keen on the Brokers- they tend to give you the keys and let you get on with it- but we found them helpful at the time we were looking

Drive a hard bargain with BWML too - - they tend not to look after their boats in the sales marina - (they 'look' unkempt and unloved more often than not)

which could help create a great bargaining position for you

Unsure if this helps as its not in the midlands- but there's an interestingly priced 2005 Liverpool semi trad 60footer on ebay called pacemaker for £27,500- it's been reduced significantly

link is below- but not sure how to do the clever "linky"- but if you cut and paste

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pacemaker-60-Semi-traditional-Narrowboat-2005-Lovely-Boat-PRICE-REDUCED-/130787289122?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e7387a822

Thanks everyone, some companies I hadn't heard of, so now added to my favourites list :cheers:

Peacemaker seems to of sold, looked a lot of boat for the money :(

I will certainly try an offer, they can only say no :lol: It's always worth a try. I saw a nice looking 40footer on the www called Jam salad at £14,950 and it looked nice on the net, but who knows though when you visit.

Hope I can find something as nice but a bit bigger ideally, I don't mind doing some work, kitchen, heating, bathroom upgrade providing the hull and engine is sound, I will have a full survey carried out though.

I take it "Norwind" is the 1909 historic 40ft narrowboat for £10,000? It looks nice and a good price, but too be hones't I wouldn't be brave enough to buy something as old as that :lol:

Thanks James :cheers: