BMC engine expert?

Featured Posts

Hi

Is there anyone out there in the Ratcliffe on Soar area who is a bit of an expert on BMC 1.5 engines. My engine starts and runs fine but I cannot get rid of white (diesel smoke)(not excessive but enough to be annoying) during normal cruising 1600-1800rpm. I think the dynamic timing is out. I have fitted service exchange diesel pump and re-con injectors. This is beyond my limited tinkering knowledge. Have cleaned filter in lift pump and changed diesel filter.

cheers

Paul Jackson

Is there anyone out there in the Ratcliffe on Soar area who is a bit of an expert on BMC 1.5 engines. My engine starts and runs fine but I cannot get rid of white (diesel smoke)(not excessive but enough to be annoying) during normal cruising 1600-1800rpm. I think the dynamic timing is out. I have fitted service exchange diesel pump and re-con injectors. This is beyond my limited tinkering knowledge. Have cleaned filter in lift pump and changed diesel filter.

This indicates unburnt diesel in the exhaust, probably meaning the timing is too late (not advanced enough).

Provided there has been no change to the timing chain (static timing), then this is solely due to the replacement injector pump. There is a procedure in the manual for aligning it before insertion (you need the injector pump and engine in the same position), once installed there is slight adjustment possible through the slotted mounting bolts (arrows on the block and casing).

Any decent diesel engineer should be able to handle it, but one used to BMC's would be a bonus!

You could easily adjust the timing yourself. All that is needed is to slacken the nuts holding the injector pump and rotate it in the opposite direction to its working rotation, which should be arrowed. It takes a bit of force to move it with all the pipes attached and access to the nuts is rather cramped. I had to grind down the jaws of a spanner to get enough movement.

Arthur