Tips for mooring on the river

DJ Lady Heidi

Featured Posts

Hey hey I'm stuck between the two breaches and decided to take my boat down the boat lift and on the river .... I'm new to boating and being on the riverbank without shoreline power is a huge step for me ....

Any tips and tricks I need to be aware of ? How slack should ropes be etc ?? Also how long should I run the engine each day to heat my calorfia and charge batteries ?

I have 3 brand new leisures ... I'm a live aboarder that is away from boat a good few hours a day and night due to work so what is safest way to leave it etc

Thank you !

Here is one for starters - always moor facing upstream. That way, when you start up the engine and spin the prop it wont have a big pile of plastic bags and other detritus already deposited on it by the river flow.

There's a much stronger reason for doing that, which is that you have much better control of the boat when coming alongside.

That said, flows on the Weaver are usually very slight.

Tim

The Weaver is a good one to start on as it is usually very gentle and levels are unlikely to change as much as other rivers I boat on, like the Trent or Soar. Even so I'd leave some slack in your ropes and use a spring line at one end of the boat to limit the amount it can bang around on the slack.

How long you need to run the engine depends so much on your set up and usage that it's hard to advise. On our boat with our habits an hour a day might do the water heating with our Travelpower running the immersion helping the engine circuit heat the calorifier. That isn't enough for the batteries in winter though, even with some solar panel assistance!

We don't run a tv and have led lights, so only the fridge uses much battery power. Even so, I'd say we run the engine more than an hour a day most days and every so often we give the batteries much longer to really top them up.

You need to try for yourself really, but perhaps my thoughts give you somewhere to start from.

Dont moor up where the trip boat used to berth , kids use it as a meeting place . we were there in august and got woken up at 6am by one of the scrotes running on the boat roof and then proceeded to throw off one of our fold up chairs off the roof of the boat into the river, by the time we had got out of the boat they were sat down on the bench chatting away as bold as brass , hed of ended up in the river if id of caught him doing it , i was livid to say the least :angry: