Angling match pegged on lock moorings!

Jim Riley

Featured Posts

In my experience I've found that the 'lite' fishermen are usually fishing for food and taking fish out of the canal (yuck!).

It's all down to attitude. I've been out with some very confrontational people and it's as if they are just waiting to have a go at someone and yet they wouldn't be able to fight their way out of a wet paper bag!?!? Never again.

Time for a :cheers:

In my experience I've found that the 'lite' fishermen are usually fishing for food and taking fish out of the canal (yuck!).

It's all down to attitude. I've been out with some very confrontational people and it's as if they are just waiting to have a go at someone and yet they wouldn't be able to fight their way out of a wet paper bag!?!? Never again.

Time for a :cheers:

That's as clear as puddling clay

• Greenie 1

:huh: couldn't get the gist, glad you couldn't either. Thought it might just be me being dense

I think 'lite' fishermen carry a ready set up rod and a tesco bag as opposed to the barrow full of kit that 'proper fishermen have. The lite fisherman should be reported.

Edited by Maffi

I think 'lite' fishermen carry a ready set up rod and a tesco bag as opposed to the barrow full of kit that 'proper fishermen have. The lite fisherman should be reported.

Don't tell Bazza that

Richard

RIP Mr Pike;-- Yesterday opposite and a along a bit from me a wicked incompetent angler set himself up with all his junk at 9am. At 3pm he caught a fish, a Pike. This took him by surprise as i think he'd nodded off.

He was yanked from his slumbers and was nearly pulled into the river to join his prize, ''pity he wasn't its 8ft deep there'' still sitting down for he'd long since seized up in that position having been inert in his chair since 9am.

He shouted for assistance and began to play the poor Pike still sitting down. A nearby mate of his arrived on the scene also looking stiff with inactivity wiping sleep from his eyes. The fish was played with little skill and dragged to the bank where this mate scooped it out with a landing net.

Still sat down on his jacked up throne the erm angler proceeded to try and unhook the poor beastie,'he was frightened of it'. The Pike was not keen or used to this kind of treatment and started to wriggle about big time and kept jumping out of the anglers grasp. After many unsuccessful attempts at retrieving his hook and tackle with forceps, disgorgers, scissors and all the fish made a sudden huge leap for freedom and plopped back into the the river.

The angler shouted for HELP!! again still sat on his jacked up throne for he'd now ''set permanently on it in the sitting position''. Looking angry he began to play the Pike again as it was STILL on his hook and played the poor tiring creature back to the bank once more where his sleepy mate again scooped it up in the landing net.

Once again from his throne on high the angler tried desperately to retrieve his hook and tackle from the poor now blood soaked fishes mouth. It was obvious to me that he had no regard to what distress and possible pain he was inflicting on the poor fish as it was nearly time to go home and he wanted his hook back.

The angler decided to rise from his throne,''creak, groan''. Now with home and thoughts of tea time on his mind he proceeded to pack up all his gear seemingly having forgotten the poor fish gasping its last breath on the bank.

After many trecks back and forth to his car to load up his gear he was now faced with a dead Pike with his hook in its bloody mouth still laying on his landing net.

There was some bushes in the way and i couldn't quite see properly but i expect he'd let the fish die on purpose so he could retrieve his hook without being snapped at by the Pikes teeth. He looked a mean character that was determined not to cut off and lose a valuable hook. Anyhow, it looked like he was now impatient to get home for his tea and so all of a sudden he flipped up the landing net, shook it and the poor blood soaked Pike plopped back into its natural element ''dead''. :mellow:

Back to the original post. Same stretch of water (Calder & Hebble near Mirfield), yesterday (Sun 4th Nov).

Fishing Match

1) Pegged out on lock moorings (directly beneath C&RT No Fishing Notice) and 48hr moorings

2) Boat moved by anglers from its mooring and roughly (and loosely) tied.

3) Flood gates re-shut by anglers after we worked through.

4) Glowering, head shaking anglers despite progress on tickover, down the middle

Edited by Wilkido

I am probably being naive but I hope Wilkido has reported the facts to CRT.

It would certainly appear that the OP's letter has had no affect.

Either CRT have taken no action or they have and the club concerned are just ignoring it.

It defo. needs raising again with CRT as these idiots need stopping.

It would certainly appear that the OP's letter has had no affect.

Either CRT have taken no action or they have and the club concerned are just ignoring it.

It defo. needs raising again with CRT as these idiots need stopping.

At the HNBC committee meeting on saturday I was shown a copy of the BW agreed code of practice for anglers. This clearly states that at official mooring points boats have priority and on the approach of a boat anglers should remove their tackle in plenty of time.

Given recent CRT pronouncements, they seem to have discarded another agreement.

George ex nb Alton

The Towpath Angler in Novembers Towpath Talk complains that too many boats are moored close to eaxch other and that it doesn't give fishermen a chance and that walkers don't like to see lines of moored boats!

He also complains of the high fees that Clubs have to pay!

My wife's Uncle complains that he has to pay £20 a year to his Club so as to fish. We pointed out that we pay over £800 to be on the canal.

Saying that anglers on lock landings move their rods out way when boats come in to moor would be fine if it was true. At Thorne earlier in the year a fisherman on the lock landing below the lock had so many road out that he complained we hadn't given him enough time to get his lines in, despite he could clearly see us in the lock and exiting it.

Regards

Pete

Back to the original post. Same stretch of water (Calder & Hebble near Mirfield), yesterday (Sun 4th Nov).

Fishing Match

1) Pegged out on lock moorings (directly beneath C&RT No Fishing Notice) and 48hr moorings

2) Boat moved by anglers from its mooring and roughly (and loosely) tied.

3) Flood gates re-shut by anglers after we worked through.

4) Glowering, head shaking anglers despite progress on tickover, down the middle

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I am in the process of finding out which club had this match. Once I have all the facts I will make sure they never fish on our waters again, if proven to be pegged wrongly.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I am in the process of finding out which club had this match. Once I have all the facts I will make sure they never fish on our waters again, if proven to be pegged wrongly.

Sounds promising.

Who are you though? I've read your previous posts but I'm not sure.

Edited by The Dog House

Sounds promising.

Who are you though? I've read your previous posts but I'm not sure.

I take it you missed #70 which begins:-

Let me introduce myself.

I am the President of Old Bank Angling Club, have been for the last 2 years and have been a member of said club since 1974, holding many positions of office.