Wyrley & Essington branch canal

AMModels

Featured Posts

Many many thanks Ray - I've sent you a mail

Are these scans of original photos of the pump house and other structures?

If so I would very much like to see them being a Bloxwich local for the last 40 year's.

Thanks,

David.

Hi David - I've been passed this view of the reservoir taken circa 1970 from that higher 'feeder channel' that ran parallel with the canal - do you recognise the 'brickwork' ?

Looking halfway up the rhs of the picture, has the photographer inadvertently captured a shot of Sneyd House in the far distance with trees in the background?

8aefca30b7_zps2d4072b2.jpg

Hi David - I've been passed this view of the reservoir taken circa 1970 from that higher 'feeder channel' that ran parallel with the canal - do you recognise the 'brickwork' ?

Looking halfway up the rhs of the picture, has the photographer inadvertently captured a shot of Sneyd House in the far distance with trees in the background?

8aefca30b7_zps2d4072b2.jpg

Hi Tony,

Another good photo although I can't quite remember that brickwork, I do remember there being some kind of concrete pad near the pylon. I remember the feeder, it was a dip from the top.of the embankment to the path around the reservoir and it ran from the Pump House in the direction of the upper locks.

I couldn't see Sneyd House on the photo - does this refer to the old BCN buildig.?

Thanks,

David.

Hi David - I did intend last week to pop over the Sneyd and check whether the brickwork still existed. Perhaps its been reduced to that concrete pad you recollect as I believe it to be near the pylon you refer to

Not sure whether this zoomed in cut of the picture will help re the building that appears (to me !) in the distance......... first I thought it may be the BCN building, then I debated whether it was set too 'far back' from what would be the line of the canal/draw bridge........?

If set back too far, is it the 'stables' or perhaps after all just the camera playing tricks with my imagination........

-Copy_zps7c1408db.jpg

Hi David - I did intend last week to pop over the Sneyd and check whether the brickwork still existed. Perhaps its been reduced to that concrete pad you recollect as I believe it to be near the pylon you refer to

Not sure whether this zoomed in cut of the picture will help re the building that appears (to me !) in the distance......... first I thought it may be the BCN building, then I debated whether it was set too 'far back' from what would be the line of the canal/draw bridge........?

If set back too far, is it the 'stables' or perhaps after all just the camera playing tricks with my imagination........

-Copy_zps7c1408db.jpg

I see what you mean now, I think it would be too far over for it to be in line with the canal but I could be wrong.

Is this an image that Ray sent you?

I may have a walk over there again today and take some shots as I still live in Bloxwich.

David.

Hi David - no, this came from another friend, I'm eagerly awaiting the scans from Ray

Look forward to any interesting snaps you take if youdo manage to pop over. I certainly intend a visit in the next week or so

Hi David - another picture of a 'bit of brickwork' around the reservoir.

This picture was taken from the southern bank of the Sneyd Reservoir also in 1970 looking south to Sneyd junction with the Bircihills Power Station in the background. Baileys pool is on the lhs

Is it the remains of that overflow that ran down to lock 2 - perhaps Ray or Lawrence can advise/confirm?

WE4011970_zps56f513f8.jpg

Whats interesting (well at least for me) is by zooming in, I reckon I can just spot my father in laws house that sat on Sneyd junction (just to the right and below the 4th cooling tower)

Edited by Tony K

Hi David - another picture of a 'bit of brickwork' around the reservoir.

This picture was taken from the southern bank of the Sneyd Reservoir also in 1970 looking south to Sneyd junction with the Bircihills Power Station in the background. Baileys pool is on the lhs

Is it the remains of that overflow that ran down to lock 2 - perhaps Ray or Lawrence can advise/confirm?

WE4011970_zps56f513f8.jpg

Whats interesting (well at least for me) is by zooming in, I reckon I can just spot my father in laws house that sat on Sneyd junction (just to the right and below the 4th cooling tower)

Another great find Tony, is this by the pumphouse? Trying to picture it at the moment.

Thanks,

David.

Another great find Tony, is this by the pumphouse? Trying to picture it at the moment.

Thanks,

David.

Hold on Tony, this is part of the pumphouse I think.

David.

• 2 weeks later...

The more I stare at the image, the more I believe it is 'halfway' along the eastern bank of the reservoir, overlooking the overgrown line of the canal somewhere inbetween lock 3 and pump/valve house.

If correct, the pump house would have sat the otherside of the bushes on the rhs of the picture

If you zoom into where the brickwork 'meets' at 90 degrees you'll spot a man's face quite lower down, giving some idea of the elevation....

You have the 'line of hedges' that graced the far bank of the towpath running down to where you can see the bus going along Sneyd Lane/Lichfield Rd

Also zoom in above the bush on the rhs - you can make out the top of a pylon - I believe that is the one that sits across the main road, just before Sneyd lock no 1

Had a wander over The Sneyd the other day – like others report, it is totally devastated compared to my childhood memories of the then disused canal back in the 60's

I took a few snaps of what ‘remains’ for posterity before it vanishes forever either because of the power of nature as it reclaims the land, or worse, the future ravages of man. A similar number of my snaps – because there is so little left to point the lens at – have been documented elsewhere, typically amongst Capt Ahab’s interesting explorations of this lost section.

I made my way to the scene subject of many posts in this thread – the pump or valve house situated at the southern tip of the reservoir. Sadly today, despite my best endeavours amongst the bushes and growth I could find absolutely trace of any remaining facing brickwork. I didn’t take a snap but include a snip off Google maps for any reader not au fait with the scene.

Capture_zpsab95bac1.jpg

Climbing to the top via the lhs path and standing on what was the end of the feeder channel immediately where the Pump house was sited to the RHS I took this snap

100_2936_zps1de4b303.jpg

From the same position I swivelled west and captured the overflow running to some way to the base of the reservoir

100_2937_zps92f298e4.jpg

A view of what remains of the feeder channel looking north from the base of the pylon

100_2935_zps321e36fa.jpg

The Feeder channel looking south from approx the position of where lock 4 would have been

100_2934_zps88d3522b.jpg

Leaving the reservoir behind and ‘heading north’ past the site of where the Sneyd Inn stood, I took these couple of pictures of what remains of the outer towpath ‘supporting’ brickwork leading up to Sneyd Drawbridge

100_2938_zpsf8956c73.jpg

100_2933_zps24f0b9f4.jpg

More brickwork – the remains of ‘The Fort’ – on the east side of what was Sneyd drawbridge/lock no 5

100_2926_zpsbfc693f1.jpg

The canal bed looking north immediately after ‘capped’ lock no 5

100_2927_zpsb15b893c.jpg

The canal bed continuing north

100_2928_zpscd256776.jpg

After passing that section of overgrown canal bed, the bed is more visible as it continues north heading towards ‘Wally Paynes’ cottage, named as Wharf Cottage on some maps

100_2929_zps4f22bb29.jpg

Canal bed outside Wharf Cottage, complete with dog on guard

100_2930_zps0fc00092.jpg

Now looking south along back to Wharf Cottage

100_2931_zps6aaac9de.jpg

Finally, sweeping east round the bend towards where Essington Farm Colliery stood a century or so ago, I wanted to search for any evidence of the remains of the canal bridge that spanned the canal there.

BridgeEssingtonFarmColliery_zps374968aa.

As a youngster I used to view the bridge from my bedroom window some 400 yards away

Amongst the banked up spoil, I may have spotted remnants of the brickwork – but you’ll have to ‘zoom in’ to make them out – that’s if indeed they are the limited visible remains of it.

100_2932_zpsf8999cb8.jpg

Edited by Tony K

I can confirm that brickwork was the bridge. However did you not find the top lock sides which are coming up through the grass, certainly visible last month. Brilliant set of pictures, pity Walsall Council dont do something better with their remains.

smiley_offtopic.gif

Tony, I'd like to say how much I appreciate you taking and posting these photos. It's a part of the BCN I knew nothing of and I'm enjoying learning about

Will you be taking your camera out again?

Richard

Hi Rchard - thanks for those kind words, in a nutshell, for you yes - I'll pop back. Whilst the canal was derelict when I was a youngster, I still have pretty vivid images of it back then and so many childhood happy memories of it, including the next couple of miles of it as it headed on to Gt Wyrley.

When I think back as a child 40 years or more ago of this particular abandoned section of the Sneyd, despite its death knell, it was then still so 'majestic' and 'grandiose' in my eyes - although chocked with weeds and vegetation and with its damaged locks (and off course the 'mysterous' pump house and other chambers that a number of us crave more details of). Iit was so undescribably distinctive in those childs eyes - so steeped with an air of historical character and so 'unlike' other navigable sections within a few miles radius. Perhaps the ghost of it lives on in our memories........

Like to thank everyone who's contributed to the topic so far - its been a real nostalgia trip for me and finally motivated me to do what I've 'threatened' to do for many years, that is, visit the old hunting grounds.............. but in doing so, its been so much of a roller coaster of emotions.

I'd better get those camera batteries recharged for the next expedition..........after all, I did spot a bit of old railing on the southern bank of the reservoir that I didnt snap wink.png

Hi Laurence - saw Capt Ahabs snap of them on his feature of the section, but didnt 'search' for them on this trip, was more focused after 40 odd years of the bed of the feeder channel and canal heading north.........hope the grass hasnt grown over them in the next fortnight...........

Capt Ahab - if you ever intend revisiting, 'give me a shout' if you want companion for a hour or two.......

Edited by Tony K

Been out snapping 'over the Sneyd' again today - even managed an interesting chat 'across the cut' with the son 'Young Wally' whose 87 year old father still lives in Wharf Cottage which is pictured above. (Young Wally is my age but I havent seen him for 45 years !!!)

I'm a bit strapped for time to post all pictures now, but anyway here's the first couple - back to the top of the 'feeder channel' above the pumping/valve house of the reservoir

Remember this......

100_2977_zps4ec242e0.jpg

This is a snap of it 'from above' - I presume when the overflow/inlet to the reservoir was operational all those years ago, some form of 'cut off' gate was fitted within the 'slit' of the stone block (???)

100_2978_zps4f59e95f.jpg

Scampering down the otherside of the reservoir bank, the overflow emerges half way down the 'dam wall'

100_2975_zpsea4ed051.jpg

A 'close up' of the remaining brickwork of it

100_2976_zps7d304225.jpg

Edited by Tony K

I remember vividly crawling down the overflow tunnel to the edge of the reservoir as a young child, don't think I'd like to attempt it now though!

What has happened to all of the photos of the pumphouse, didn't somebody say they had some copies to post on here?

Great pics Tony, I have some similar snaps from last year.

I still think the previous 'old' photo was part of the pumphouse, I remember that little section of wall...I can see how folks that walked the route in the 60's and 70's missed the pumphouse as it was clearly hidden by trees!

Edited by MrDGWalters

Me too David - never mind not wishing to attempt it now - I wouldnt get through the end now !!!

Re the previous old photo, I was recently passed the notes of the photographer who took it back in 1970 - he stated that it was taken from the basically the same point on the bank as the bricked culvert/drain, so I believe it was slightly north of the pump house

Talking of that 'drain'culvert, continuing north the other day along the feeder channel I looked for evidence of it (pictured in 1970 on page 4 of this topic). I’d ‘missed it’ on my last ‘tour’ and here’s the reason - just a draincover now with all brickwork removed

100_2972_zps91b9c89c.jpg

The view from the picture on page 4 is now obscured by self setting saplings

100_2974_zpsdc41d702.jpg

A few years ago, the water level of the reservoir rose to a critical level and was in danger of exceeding the bank on the school side so a new drainage system was installed

100_2980_zps3df66cb9.jpg

Obviously the concrete block was a new addition – but it did get me wandering – was it ever a remnant of lock 4, moved here at a later date?

100_2979_zpsce19daa3.jpg

Crossing Vernon Way where it sweeps left to the school (and just before the site of buried lock 5) I spotted this brickwork which sat on the immediate western side of the line of the canal – could it possibly be surviving brickwork from the northern end of the feeder channel?

100_2970_zps46d21fab.jpg

And just north of this is the visible remains of the filled in lock 5 as previously referred to by Laurence. The capped end of lock 5 sits at the end of this lawned spot, visible the other side of the bushes

100_2966_zps5f7130f7.jpg

TBC............

Several shots of the remaining brickwork of the other side of the lock......

‘Head on’ looking south

100_2963_zps96350736.jpg

The towpath side canal wall

100_2965_zps05057612.jpg

The ‘far bank’ canal wall

100_2964_zps8aa40f4c.jpg

A little further along the ‘far bank’ you can still make out the top of the brickwork – bottom lhs just in front of the paper

100_2968_zps3a55ed59.jpg

Continuing north to Wharf Cottage we spent several minutes searching for an overflow chamber on the towpath side that as kids we used to clamber into. Our presence obviously stirred some interest as we were greeted by this 'familiar' face who I instantly recognised. It was 'young Wally' who I hadnt seen for 45 years, but I had vivid recollections of his blonde curly hair as he'd played in that yard all those years ago

100_2962_zps64e8e380.jpg

We chatted for 10 or 15 minutes about our childhood memories of the canal. We learnt that his 87 year old father, who'd lived nearly all his life at the cottage since the early 1930s still actually lived there. Young Wally recounted tales about the canal from the 40's and 50's passed down from his father. Those memories are probably the last surviving ones of someone living so close to the canal whilst it still operated.

Whilst there's still 'time' and the opportunity, I thought later that night that those memories ought to be captured and documented for posterity..............perhaps thats a cue call for a local historian

TBC again......

Edited by Tony K

Time to find out my SD memory card and ‘finish’ this little tour.........

North of Wharf Cottage we ‘hopped over’ to the opposite side of the canal which still held a few inches of water

100_2961_zps7ff30741.jpg

Moving a little east, 40 odd years ago we used to cross the canal bridge then head north west, crossing the coal tram lines on route that still used to exist on our way to the Mitre PH/Holly Bank Colliery. It’s only recently having discovered this site (and Capt Ahab’s) that I’ve actually learnt of the arm that headed off from this point to the Essington Wood/Holly Bank. It obviously didn’t exist back in the 60’s, but it explained why the canal appeared to ‘widen’ in that child’s eyes with a reed infested ‘basin’ – it would have been the head of this long since departed arm. There obviously was no sign back in the 60s of a ‘second’ bridge that used to exist at Essington Farm Colliery – but we decided to have a ‘mooch’ in its vicinity.

And as we did, we uncovered this bit of brickwork. Aok, now I’m not suggesting that this was anything 'associated' with the canal, but it did make me wonder what it was doing there as Hawkins Colliery lay several miles north from this spot...........answers on a postcard thanks

100_2959_zpsc32dc31a.jpg

Still on the ‘far bank’ of the canal I noticed this culvert that appeared to link to the canal. Never ever noticed it as a kid, perhaps it was constructed/added when the area was open casted in the late 70s/early 80s(?) to assist drain surface water to the canal?

100_2958_zps76a00a66.jpg

100_2957_zpsbc942e54.jpg

Back onto the tarmac towpath and heading east again, behind the primary school the canal still holds a few inches of water

100_2956_zps084073ad.jpg

A little further on it dries out.......looking west

100_2955_zpsd5bffe0f.jpg

And the line of the canal looking east

100_2954_zpse064f5b3.jpg

In the ‘centre’ of the bed

100_2953_zpseed81edd.jpg

On page 1 of this topic AMModels added a flicker link showing the canal in water just off Glastonbury Cres (annotated as Cresswell Cres in the post) as the opencast was in progress.

Here’s the view today as the canal would have headed onto Broad Lane

100_2951_zps2713e9a6.jpg

Next trip out, north of Brad lane to Long lane........

An interesting bit of lateral thought Richard - I hadn't considered that, just automatically assumed the reverse - that a 'local' brickworks (and there were loads in the area - even one near to the side of the nearby Essington Farm Coliery on the bend of this canal section) had made it and it was used in some construction at Hawkins Colliery itself and somehow it had 'moved' 5 miles over the years.

An interesting bit of lateral thought Richard ........

Perhaps not so lateral after all Richard, more my naivety of historical industry. Speaking to a local retired mining surveyor on Friday evening he told me there was a brickworks associated with Hollybank Colliery and the reasons behind it being a 'common practice'