Thinking of a cratch?

boots

Featured Posts

Hi,

we are currently debating whether to start saving to have a cratch board and cover fitted. We have no experience at all of a boat with and enclosed cratch, and as these don't seem to come cheap want to get it right!

One of the main reasons for wanting one is for somewhere to put our pet rabbits at night (they are rather noisy indoors!) (by the way, we only use the boat for weekends/holidays).

would appreciate any ones experience as for the do's & don'ts of a cratch, for example:

i) are the worth it? many boats have them, so I guess if they are not useful then there wouldn't be so many around

ii) what is the minimum size that makes one useful - our cratch area is only 40" in length which I think is on the shorter side - is there a point when it can be better left open

iii) what design of cover is best? Do not want to compromise ease of getting on/off more than absolutely necessary, and we do use the area for sitting outside

iv) access to gas bottles - was thinking of having opening windows to at least allow for turning the gas on/off - or is this an over complication

vi) what is the best material for the cover?

vii) what is the best material for the cratch board - we like the look of the painted ones, but feel the 'wood' ones might be easier to maintain (and I guess hardwood would be longer lasting)

viii) is it best to get the cover and cratch board made by the same people, or go for independent experts?

ix) Any recommendations - we are based near Nantwich for builders / fitters?

and I suppose, one of the most important questions - and 'don't do's'

appreciate any comments,

It's obviously a personal thing but we bought a boat at the end of last year that had had a cratch fitted the previous year. We weren't particularly looking for a boat with a cratch but now we wouldn't be without it.

The previous owner paid around £1800 for the entire thing from Wilsons who have a good name it is a lot of money but it's like another room for us.The only drawback for me is one point that you brought up, the gas locker ! it is a bit difficult to change bottles but thats a small price to pay.

http://www.wilsoncovers.co.uk/

Dave

Edited by Titus

We have cruised on hire NB's without cratch covers, and our own boat has one.

We wouldn't be without it, It provides a place to leave muddy boots, clean the dog after a walk.etc. It also supplies a modicum of insulation in that it stops wind blowing through the vents we have in the front doors.

Edited by Ray T

our cratch cover is a framed one (no cratch board) with 3 windows, zipped in 4 places so we have the option of opening any side as needed, front window unzips both sides to allow for easy access to gas bottles, fixed with stud fastenings but you could also have it fastened with elastics.

We have a Wilsons one as well.Would not be without it.Windows in the sides are a matter of personal choice,but are vulnerable to damage.We have to remove the cratch for Stanedge so easy removal a good idea(depends on the air draft of your boat)One issue that relates to our boat is the walkways on lock gates on the Kennet and Avon will take out the cratch when locking downhill and opening one gate.Hope these comments are helpfull.

Wouldn't be without ours until the time comes to change a gas bottle and then I curse it to hell and back.

If you get one make provision for easy gas locker access - it can be done (roll up/lift out front section)

Edited by The Dog House

Wouldn't be without ours until the time comes to change a gas bottle and then I curse it to hell and back.

If you get one make provision for easy gas locker access - it can be done (roll up/lift out front section)

Same as.

Our cover was made by Coverit http://www.coverit.co.uk/ The second one by them (two different boats) and well pleased. No windows in my cover.

Definitely worth it. Would recommend two zips and windows. All sensible boats have gas lockers at the stern, which avoids problems with cratch!

Wilsons - wouldn't go near them as I have a thing about phoenix companies (especially multiple offenders like them) although I understand some ex-staff have set up their own company, but confusingly with a similar name.

Coverit are good people to work with - helpful etc - and much cheaper than Wilsons or AJ for a good quality product. Some cheap cover makers show their cheapness by being slack and just don't look good. Check out a few boats on a mooring to see the difference.

All sensible boats have gas lockers at the stern, which avoids problems with cratch!

I would put the gas bottles at the stern if I had my time again. I should have realised, given that my previous boat had them at the stern. CBA now though; only have to change 'em once in a while.

Edited by Guest

:) everyone has their own preference, shall I sharnt I lol, but since my boat is only 38ft it was essential for me, as now I have two extra rooms where I can either store stuff or sit nice and cosy with a cuppa & cake watching the world go by :) I was undecided regarding having windows, but I solved that by having roll-up windows cut in them :) At the end of the day the choice is really up to you.

heres a piccy of mine : http://s1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee476/treepoet1/?action=view&current=088.jpg

edited ;) by the way that aint ( the barbie thingy, horrid nasty things IMO ;) mine just belongs to the boater the other side, and I think was ready to be taken to the skip :)

Edited by tree

:) everyone has their own preference, shall I sharnt I lol, but since my boat is only 38ft it was essential for me, as now I have two extra rooms where I can either store stuff or sit nice and cosy with a cuppa & cake watching the world go by :) I was undecided regarding having windows, but I solved that by having roll-up windows cut in

them :) At the end of the day the choice is really up to you.

heres a piccy of mine : http://s1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee476/treepoet1/?action=view&current=088.jpg

No-body mention the BBQ on the wooden pontoon..... ;)

Wouldn't be without our cratch, tho hinged panels in the deck board to allow easy front deck access would be part of my spec if sourcing a new one. Gas locker access would be lots simpler then.

Plenty of examples with such are out there if you look.

Gas bottles at the rear would be fine if we didn't have a trad boat, but then I wouldn't consider any other kind for a live aboard, so at the front they have to remain!

If it is any help I make steel ones steel plank and block for the roof for DIY fit or fitted with provision for glass to be fitted can be made with hinged centre that folds down to a table giving easy access to gas locker. Regards Martin

Any Pics Martin?

Yes please thank you what do you think of them always open to feedback helps to become better regards Martin

Sorry I was late with posting these.

image_kedian_1.jpg

image_kedian_2.jpg

image_kedian_3.jpg

image_kedian_4.jpg

image_kedian_5.jpg

:) everyone has their own preference, shall I sharnt I lol, but since my boat is only 38ft it was essential for me, as now I have two extra rooms where I can either store stuff or sit nice and cosy with a cuppa & cake watching the world go by :) I was undecided regarding having windows, but I solved that by having roll-up windows cut in them :) At the end of the day the choice is really up to you.

edited ;) by the way that aint ( the barbie thingy, horrid nasty things IMO ;) mine just belongs to the boater the other side, and I think was ready to be taken to the skip :)

That's a nice tidy boat you have there Tree.

Our cratch doesn't effect gas bottle movement.......

Gas lockers on the stern.

Martyn