Stoppages

Doug Scullery

Featured Posts

On at least one occasion I've moved the boat on the River Avon (Bristol - Bath) only to discover that C&RT or BW or the Chinese Communist Party or whoever the hell it is that runs the waterways now have officially closed the river due to river levels, a big concern as I believe that invalidates my insurance. Cruising without insurance is something I do not fancy. Also on one occasion I have checked online and discovered no stoppages only to find out that a friend who gets updates (text? email?) from BW&RTY had received a message that morning to tell her that the river was closed due to torrents of raging floodwater or some such unnecessary exaggeration.

My two questions are 1. Where do i sign up for these updates? and 2. Where do you check for stoppages (other than CWDF), is Waterscape still an official site even though BW don't exist any more?

edit to add: This is a link to the only place I know to check http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-do/boating/stoppages

also edited to remove the double negative. Doh!

Edited by Doug Scullery

you can sign up Here for online flood updates also there is a flood map there but it takes a couple of hours for them to update it so not always accurate. hope this helps.

Those updates seem to be mainly aimed at warning land based residents of flooding, I feel sure I've been told about updates from BW (back when BW existed) specifically aimed at boaters. Once the local houses are at risk of flooding I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to go anywhere anyway! I'm more concerned about the middle ground, where the river hasn't burst it's banks but the flow has been deemed (by some official body or other) too strong for boating.

As you point out the EA data doesn't really match up to boat navigation.

If you often travel on the same river sections it is worth keeping some notes so you can match the EA river height with the corresponding Red/Yellow/Green status at the river-lock/gate. The EA gauges don't correspond to the lock locations so you'll need to choose carefully, making sure you have the right river(not a tributary)! It's also worth keeping an eye on a couple of points up river as well to give you an idea of what's to come.

On the point of insurance, I don't know for sure but I would imagine that providing you don't enter a river section when a river's in the red and you don't deliberately dawdle unless conditions are perfect then you should be insured. If mooring overnight then make sure you're on a good floating pontoon.