T&M closure between Middlewich and Dutton

Timleech

Featured Posts

Because of concerns over banks weakened by the extremely wet weather, the canal is being closed off at several points between Dutton and Middlewich. I don't know exactly where, but Croxton aqueduct and the Southern end of Dutton are particular areas of concern.

Tim

Because of concerns over banks weakened by the extremely wet weather, the canal is being closed off at several points between Dutton and Middlewich. I don't know exactly where, but Croxton aqueduct and the Southern end of Dutton are particular areas of concern.

Tim

I was posting whilst you were, but I have copied and pasted the notice which gives some detail about where the problem is and what they are doing.

Edited by journeyperson

I was posting whilst you were, but I have copied and pasted the notice which gives some detail about where the problem is and what they are doing.

My info was just from talking to the guys 'on the ground', I didn't know whether an official stoppage had been issued yet.

Tim

Looks like we'll be doing a good number of turnarounds and handovers from around Middlewich and doing a lot of driving back and forward over the weekend!

It won't just be this weekend.

Unfortunately I've just heard that there has been a burst, close to the 2-mile post.

I don't know how bad it is, but do know that access will be difficult for repairs.

Tim

Not sure if posted yet, but stoppage list has been modified to show a greater length closed......

Stoppage: Between Middlewich Big Lock 75 and Bridge 213 Preston Brook

25 Sep 2012 until further notice

Associated Regional Office: Manchester & Pennine Waterways

UPDATE (25 September 2012): This has been extended beyond Bridge 212 and the canal is now closed from bridge 213.

A further update will be issued within 24 hours.

Canal & River Trust apologise for the inconvenience.

Stoppage history:

We have been alerted to erosion occurring in 2 areas of embankment at Croxton Flash and near Bridge 211 (Dutton Hall Bridge) which is a consequence of the heavy rainfall and saturated ground.

As a precautionary measure we are closing the canal until further notice between bridges 212 (Eatons Bridge) near Preston Brook Tunnel and Big Lock (No 75) in Middlewich. The flood gates at Marbury are being closed and we are arranging to install stop planks at locations either side of the erosion sites.

The canal will remain closed until the weather has subsided, and we have been able to complete engineering inspections of the damage caused and any necessary repairs.

We will update within 24 hours.

Customers are recommended to moor at visitor moorings on the canal until further updates are available.

Canal & River Trust apologise for the inconvenience.

(Enquiries: 01782 785703)

That is not going to be quick, or easy, to repair. I have no access any record of where breaches have occurred but the length from somewhere near Anderton to Dutton is a fairly classic spot for a breach on this scale. High on the valley side with quite steep sidelong ground, and once it goes, sixteen miles of canal rushing though it means by heck it goes. What starts as overtopping and/or a spurt from below the canal rapidly becomes rotational slip (lubricated by all that water) and massive erosion.

It'll take any sensible engineer a few weeks (and several stability tests) to even work out HOW they can repair that, never mind getting plant and materials in and finding the money for it.

I notice that the tow path must be on the uphill side of the canal, which is unusual. Or has it breached into a brook that then passes under the canal? If the latter, it is very fortunate that the massively overloaded brook didn't sweep the entire embankment away!

High on the valley side with quite steep sidelong ground, and once it goes, sixteen miles of canal rushing though it means by heck it goes.

I don't think it is fully reported yet, but the way I read it is that they worked out this was likely to happen, and (hopefully!) got some planks in at key locations.

I'm very much hoping to hear it is a relatively short length that has drained out, and that most of the pound South to Middlewich is still largely in water.

But I can't recall seeing anything very definite yet......

Edited by alan_fincher

I don't think it is fully reported yet, but the way I read it is that they worked out this was likely to happen, and (hopefully!) got some planks in at key locations.

I'm very much hoping to hear it is a relatively short length that has drained out, and that most of the pound South to Middlewich is still largely in water.

But I can't recall seeing anything very definite yet......

Yes, there was a clay dam in place at the A49 bridge (Bartington) and planks at Lodge Lane bridge, so only a couple of miles at most (can't be bothered to work it out at the moment).

The planks were initially leaking very badly, as there was a strong reverse flow through the stop lock at 7:30 am. They must have got the planks fairly well racked up now though, as there's virtually no flow through the lock.

Tim

199256_529525160397368_1823895500_n.jpg

There were always a couple of lumps in the bottom of the canal there (tree stumps, probably),it might at least have got rid of those!

Tim