Recommend a good reliable bilge pump

Gazboatman

Featured Posts

Some people might recommend a frightened man and a bucket! .................

But seriously, most electric bilge pumps are very cheap and reliable.

Or do you want a diaphram hand pump?

Sorry, yes electric.

I'm having problems with the one we have, and I remember a thread on here and a certain one was metioned a few times, can't remember the make though.

Drainman - powered by nature. www.bhg-marine.co.uk/drainman/drainman-pump-kit

Vessel needs to move around a little though.

That looks great for proper sea going sailors. I suppose it might work well on the canals if you moor with very slack ropes.

You would also need a notice at either end of the boat for passing boats to read:................ *Please don't slow down*

:cheers:

Is the recommended Whale Gulper the manually switched wastewater pump, the same as the one many of us use for showers, or is it a Whale bilge pump?

I've seen a Whale Gulper 220 wastewater pump fitted with a chunky float switch and used as a bilge pump. The pump itself may be too big to fit into confined spaces, but since it's self-priming, the float switch and hose can be laid in a small space in the bilges with the pump higher up.

If I were fitting new bilge pumps this is what I'd do. The advantage of a whale gulper is that they generally don't get blocked so easily.

Is the recommended Whale Gulper the manually switched wastewater pump, the same as the one many of us use for showers, or is it a Whale bilge pump?

Don't know what everyone else was recommending, but I use the Whale Bilge Pump and am very happy with it. It replaced a Rule which I wasn't at all happy with.

Tony

These two won't empty your bilge completely but when it comes to capacity, nothing can touch them...

http://fastflowpump.com/Emergency_Bilge_Pump.html

http://www.aes.net.nz/ESP.HTMl

I hadn't seen these before. I like the idea, but I find it difficult to believe that the thing wouldn't wear itself out while in "dry mode" - i.e. while running for hours on end from the engine/gearbox.

Edit: Actually having thought about it I can see some potential disadvantages to this kind of pump - chiefly having to run the engine in gear at speed while trying to deal with flooded bilges. Chances are on a canal boat if your engine bilges were flooded to the extent that this pump was actually useful, then it might well be the stern gland which was leaking, in which case you wouldn't want to be spinning the shaft at speed.

Edited by blackrose

No it's a shower waste drain pump which is generally manually switched.

You could use one as a manually switched bilge pump, or you could buy a separate float switch and install it as an automatic bilge pump.