Governer

claudia

Featured Posts

Hi Ian

The governor is there to stop the engine increasing its rpm above a pre determined setting. A broken spring should not effect the engines tick over. Will the engine increase rpm using the throttle? If so it may just need the tick over speed setting.

Regards

Les

Diesel engines are not throttled so they require a governor to control the engine speed.

A diesel engine with a mechanical governor uses a series of springs and weights to control the fuel delivery for the given conditions at any time.

A governor with broken springs or siezed weights may not run at the correct speed, with a worst case scenario of the engine "running-away" resulting in it's own self destruction!

Could somebody help me with my question which is does the govener have any effect on the tickover and say if a spring broke would the lack of tickover be a sign of this cheers, Ian.

Can you expand on what you mean by 'lack of tickover'' please?

Does the engine stall when you shut the speed control down to minimum, or do you mean it fails to slow down to an acceptably slow (i.e. tickover) speed?

Mike

I can't set a tickover one time it will sit at a reasonable speed then after awhile it will speed up to three times the speed then on other ocassions it will sit at a resonable tickover for twenty minuets then just drop off and stop there is no set pattern.

It can do both Mike.

Sorry not to acknowledge your post Les it's good to hear from you again and I hope that shiny green SR is purring away in your boat.

I can't set a tickover one time it will sit at a reasonable speed then after awhile it will speed up to three times the speed then on other ocassions it will sit at a resonable tickover for twenty minuets then just drop off and stop there is no set pattern.

It can do both Mike.

Sorry not to acknowledge your post Les it's good to hear from you again and I hope that shiny green SR is purring away in your boat.

Air leak in the fuel system?

It can do both Mike.

Is this the air cooled Lister? They often benefit from an external return spring on the speed control, which makes sure that the engine lever sits firmly against the idle stop (when you move the control to tickover).

Tim

Well I'm no expert but I would have thought that a broken governor could cause exactly the symptoms that you have described

As could several other things, like one cylinder firing intermittently at low revs

Richard