single handling locks

dominicebs

Featured Posts

The one thing that is really worrying me about moving to a narrow boat is single handling of locks. I am going to take a proper training course but just wondered if anyone had any tips. The main danger points I see are a) transferring from boat to ladder, particularly if icy or wet B) getting hung up on the sill on a downhill lock - can you hold the boat just on the centre rope from the land.

Single handing is not at all difficult. Personally I prefer it, because communication issues don't come into it, I think it is less stressful and there is less to go wrong.

Climbing the ladder, you need to be diligent and careful, and the centre line is the only line you ever use.

This is worth a read too, but its not 'bible', there are a few things I disagree with; http://www.baddiethepirate.co.uk/baddiepages/colin.htm

I single hand a 68'6" boat through any lock, all you need is a bit of skill, a bit of sense, and a modicum of doggedness.

Narrow or wide locks? In narrow locks, you don't need a centre line at all, just keep the boat against the gate in tick over. When going up, no worries at all.

Deep locks need a bit more care. Take your centre line bankside, but only to maake sure that you can get the boat back, if she decides to float into the middle of the lock.... :rolleyes:

put the boat to one side of the lock, step or climb onto the side, and open the ground paddle' on the boats' side ( when going up) first. Usually, quickly, but no more than half way up. This should let the wash pin your boat to the wall,.

Just try it, on a quiet morning, and take your time.

Most important, keep an eye on your boat at all times. Do not get distracted by gongozler, or other boaters who might try to hurry you up, if you are taking your time.

Yor boat, your lock.

Good luck :cheers:

I never use a ladder and have never had a centre line on a boat in 30 years.

This description dates back to 1950 and has always served me well in narrow locks with minor adjustments for broad ones:

Take the boat into the tail of the lock, leaving it in gear, just ticking over. Then hop off, let the boat go into the lock unmanned, then lift the top paddles to control the speed of the boat. When she is in, close the bottom gate and drop the paddles. Then go up to the top of the lock and lift all the paddles. When the lock is full, the boat will push the top gates open, so then be nippy. Close the top paddles, jump onto the boat and take her out of the lock.

One day I'll get round to copying the instructions for going downhill.

I single hand a 68'6" boat through any lock, all you need is a bit of skill, a bit of sense, and a modicum of doggedness.

Narrow or wide locks? In narrow locks, you don't need a centre line at all, just keep the boat against the gate in tick over. When going up, no worries at all.

Deep locks need a bit more care. Take your centre line bankside, but only to maake sure that you can get the boat back, if she decides to float into the middle of the lock.... :rolleyes:

put the boat to one side of the lock, step or climb onto the side, and open the ground paddle' on the boats' side ( when going up) first. Usually, quickly, but no more than half way up. This should let the wash pin your boat to the wall,.

Just try it, on a quiet morning, and take your time.

Most important, keep an eye on your boat at all times. Do not get distracted by gongozler, or other boaters who might try to hurry you up, if you are taking your time.

Yor boat, your lock.

Good luck :cheers:

Method for locking a 68'6" boat through the L&L.

1. Tie up at lock mooring.

2. Phone for the nearest crane hire.

3. Negotiate access through fields with local farming community...

I won't go on. It would only get tedious.

But seriously. Single handing is really good fun. I love it, but it must be taken seriously and without haste with due thought for your own agility and how you would avoid hanging up and cilling.

Good luck

Nick

Oh, and do wear a self inflating life jacket. Even on narrow canals.

This description dates back to 1950 and has always served me well in narrow locks with minor adjustments for broad ones:

I've always wondered about how someone would avoid or eliminate the need for the ladder. How do you get the boat into the lock, leaving it in idle forwards, without a huge impact when it hits either the cill (going up) or front gates (going down)? And how does it work if there isn't a suitable place to step off the boat when going uphill? (I know most locks do have steps, sometimes both sides, but many don't).

Edited by Paul C

You clearly haven't boated on the K&A then. This method may work on the GU, with convenient stepping off points and steps up the side of the lock, but if you try out on some K&A locks, 1 you will step into the water, and 2 you will sink the boat as the jet of water from the high gate paddles fills the front well - on many locks there are no ground paddles. I would challenge anyone to single hand through Towney lock without using the ladder.

I've always wondered about how someone would avoid or eliminate the need for the ladder. How do you get the boat into the lock, leaving it in idle forwards, without a huge impact when it hits either the cill (going up) or front gates (going down)? And how does it work if there isn't a suitable place to step off the boat when going uphill? (I know most locks do have steps, sometimes both sides, but many don't).

I have yet to own a boat whose idle speed is so fast that there was a "huge impact".

Controlling the boat going downhill is even less of a problem because you don't have to step off the boat before it is in the lock.

Could you identify the locks that have no way of stepping off the boat because I can't think of any, off the top of my head.

Take the boat into the tail of the lock, leaving it in gear, just ticking over. Then hop off, let the boat go into the lock unmanned, then lift the top paddles to control the speed of the boat. When she is in, close the bottom gate and drop the paddles. Then go up to the top of the lock and lift all the paddles. When the lock is full, the boat will push the top gates open, so then be nippy. Close the top paddles, jump onto the boat and take her out of the lock.

I do more or less the same but do not leave in tick over I give a quick burst before I jump off and then just let the boat float into the lock.

The one thing that is really worrying me about moving to a narrow boat is single handling of locks. I am going to take a proper training course but just wondered if anyone had any tips. The main danger points I see are a) transferring from boat to ladder, particularly if icy or wet B) getting hung up on the sill on a downhill lock - can you hold the boat just on the centre rope from the land.

I'm not sure what a proper training course is but locks aren't that difficult. I'm usually always single handed (except when I go through Camden and force my friends on board to deal with the tourist onslaught). You get into a groove and it can be quite calming. It's something you learn more through experience than anything. It becomes easier with time, especially when you become brave enough to step off with the centre line and walk your boat into the lock. The most annoying part of single handing to me is jumping onto the boat or crawling up the ladder.

When taking our boat into a lock I usually approach quite slowly, put the gear in neutral, get off the stern on the lock landing with the centre rope.

I can then control the speed of the boat using the strapping posts. Also this practice enables me to keep the boat against the lock side if entering a double lock, be there another boat there or not.

I am not saying this how it should be done but it works for me going up or down.

I have yet to own a boat whose idle speed is so fast that there was a "huge impact".

Controlling the boat going downhill is even less of a problem because you don't have to step off the boat before it is in the lock.

Could you identify the locks that have no way of stepping off the boat because I can't think of any, off the top of my head.

Minshull Lock on the Middlewich Branch of SU

I see others have mentioned other locks. I'm sure there's more that I can't remember (I can't remember all lock features!)

The highest of the 5 at Stockton Brook Locks (Caldon mainline) has no easy step off point downhill, due to the bridge just before it being a roving bridge (no towpath) and a large growth of vegetation and a corner meaning its lock landing is well before the lock. Not quite the same issue, but certainly no prospect of leaving the boat in the lock mouth while going and checking if the lock's full or empty, or to see if another boat is coming if its not in your favour. How do you moor up without a centre line in these situations?

Although you often don't need a centre line, pure common sense says it is useful to have some form of control over the boat in case something does not go quite to plan - like it drifting back towards the cill because the engine has stalled or the prop has fouled. In life, you make your own luck!

Yes I have.

I have single handed the majority of the navigable waterways and the K&A is a pussy cat compared to some.

Single handling is certainly possible on the K&A, I do it all the time. i don't see how you can use the method you are advocating though. How did you go up Towney lock without using the ladder?

Although you often don't need a centre line, pure common sense says it is useful to have some form of control over the boat in case something does not go quite to plan - like it drifting back towards the cill because the engine has stalled or the prop has fouled. In life, you make your own luck!

Of course you have control of your boat.

I take two lines ashore.

I've had my nb for just over a month and I used the ladder for the first week and then found using my centre line to walk her into and out of the locks I felt much more in control, admittedly only on the oxford so far, I take my time and have accepted help a couple of times (thanks if anyone on here helped), take your time and yes I also go gongoozling to watch for tips on what to do and what not to do when moored up knackered and ready for a brew or two :)

How did you go up Towney lock without using the ladder?

I don't recall every lock but I can assure you that I have only ever used a ladder once (when my dog fell in and went under the boat) as I have an irrational fear of them.

I have sat in a deep harbour waiting for the high tide because I couldn't go up the ladder to get ashore.