Stove or NO Stove?

Swampfrog

Featured Posts

Help.....

We are currently in discussion with our boat builder and we cannot decide whether to have a solid fuel stove or not? we will have Webasto diesel central heating, but should we also have a stove?

Neither of us are particularly fond of stoves but we will be continuous cruisers and can't decide?

Opinions will be much appreciated

Cheers

Robbie and Suzie

When we had Joanie M built we decided not to have a stove, probably for the same reasons as you're reluctant, and rely on Webasto for heating. Big mistake! Stopped working just 4 months into winter with burner problems although that was on gas oil rather than current diesel. Week without heating with snow on the ground is no fun! Had a stove fitted by original builders and now hardly use the Webasto.

Get the stove now whilst you can do it easily.

Regards

Pete

For what it's worth: For quite some while Mrs T didn't like the idea of a stove and this coloured our thinking when buying a boat.

After a couple of winter cruises we realised the Eberspacher was not much use for long term heating, as I believe it should not be run for more than four hours.

The Ebby is OK for taking the chill off the boat or for early Autumn / late Spring.

Also one one occasion the thing broke down, it was cold and miserable on the boat.

A couple of years ago we had a stove retro fitted. One of the best things we ever did.

Takes a little bit of practice to get used to the stoves workings, but IMHO go for it.

Help.....

We are currently in discussion with our boat builder and we cannot decide whether to have a solid fuel stove or not? we will have Webasto diesel central heating, but should we also have a stove?

Neither of us are particularly fond of stoves but we will be continuous cruisers and can't decide?

Cheers

Robbie and Suzie

Consider how you will keep warm when the Webasto is out of action, which it surely will be at some point. We have Webasto and a Bubble Stove, and need them both. Wether you go for diesel or solid fuel is up to you but, as I say, you will need both.

Help.....

Cheers

Robbie and Suzie

I'd be surprised that if you didn't get one that you wouldn't regret it after your first autumn through to spring on board.

It would also suggest it would affect the re-sale value of your boat not having one - good ones are not cheap but worth their weight in gold on dark and miserable cold evenings and nights.

So as to your question Stove yes defo.

Edited by The Dog House

What they all said.

By far the most reliable way of heating, given the widely reported track records of nearly every other alternative method.

I wouldn't even dream of having a leisure boat with no solid fuel stove. For a live-aboard to me it is a no brainer, unless you have some disability that actually makes humping the fuel around too difficult.

Help.....

Cheers

Robbie and Suzie

YES>YES>YES. I lived on my boat for five years. The Morso Stove was the best thing on the boat.

Used carefully it used little fuel. Coal and occasionally logs. It looked good with the real fire glow

and kept the whole boat warm.

I also had diesel heating but hardly ever used it.

Yes it will create a bit more dust/smoke but I thought well worth the effort.

Help.....

Cheers

Robbie and Suzie

In the depths of winter, you'll probably need to run your heating 24/7, even if not flat out all the time. http://www.webasto-marine.co.uk/faq.html'>

http://www.webasto-marine.co.uk/faq.html

If your Webasto uses about a third of a litre an hour, you'll need 8 litres per day, or 56 litres a week. So about £40 a week on heating only, if you can buy it at 0% duty- and many places only sell at a fixed split, so 60% of the diesel would be over £1/litre.

That's very expensive, compared to my Morso Squirrel. I normally get through a 25kg bag of coal every 4-5 days. Even at inflated Fenland prices of £10 per bag, that's still a lot cheaper, and you can get coal at closer to £8 or £9 per bag on the canals.

And, of course, you can also burn scavenged wood, which is free!

Also, diesel heaters don't have a perfect record of reliability. You don't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere in -10 degrees with no way of heating the boat. Having a stove, with diesel heater as backup, is much more standard.

Diesel heaters can also make noise and annoy people around you, some sound like a jet taking off.

Plus burning things and looking at flames is fun!

Perhaps the OP's view is coloured by being brought up in, or currently living in, a house which has no living fire. The idea of laying, kindling and mending a fire, and removing ashes, might seem abhorrent. As someone who has never lived in a house which did NOT have some form of living fire (currently a Clearview stove) I am well used to the ritual, and frankly it takes only a few minutes per day and is well worth that expended time.

Diesel heating can be reliable and not cost much more than solid but you need to keep away from heaters like the Webasto esp. if running for any length of time.

Drip fed and pressure jet heaters are the most reliable diesel heaters. Drip fed stoves has the advantage of not requiring electric.

Ditch the webasto if you really don't want a stove (although I don't recommend - as said before get a drip fed heater if you really don't want soild fuel).

Good pressure jet heaters which are good for 24/7 use are the Hurricane and Bubble PJ.

Stove. Definitely get a stove. Especially if you're continuous cruising. You could consider a diesel stove if you don't like the mess of a solid fuel one. But IMO not as good/reliable/flexible

...and you can't pick up diesel from the towpath to burn on your stove.

Your already considered heating is diesel. For reasons of options, I would go for a solid fuel stove. You will kick yourself if you don't fit one, because heaters (diesel) break down at the most annoying times - usually when it's freezing and cold and wet and miserable and inconvenient and needed and............

I have a Mikuni diesel heater in the wings, to be used as backup for the solid stove. The priority goes to the solid stove and the backup to the Mikuni.

The one single reason why most of the 'live the dreamaboards' jump ship after the first winter in the marina we run from is:

'couldn't cope with the cold'

Diesel heating will not cope and I am surprised at your builder not telling you this in a blunt fashion.

Get an ecofan as well.

OP - - When you take the advice of all the previous responses to your question - and you fit a stove (I'd recommend a solid fuel stove like a Morso Squirrel) - and you've used it during your first winter aboard . .

You'll revisit your question - and realise why we were all so adamant that you get a stove.

(we've had two winters on our boat, our Webasto works perfectly - (we've run it for 5 hours in total)

Our stove has run 24/7 from October through to March - and kept us wonderfully cosy

I do not live on my boat and have a gas fire - I doubt these would be allowed now. It passed the boat safety - I know the examiner would have loved to fail it but had no grounds. One of my neighbours who does live on his boat has a pellet burning stove. His is stove is rather large but I think they do come in smaller sizes. He swears by this as it is almost instant heat and does not create all the dust of a solid fuel stove. They were reviewed favourably in Canal Boat magazine a year or so ago.