Stove or NO Stove?

Swampfrog

Featured Posts

See posts #2 to #27. ;)

We have lived aboard for three years, been iced in three times and the Morso Squirrel has been run 24/7 between October/ November till March/April each year.

We run purely on solid fuel (many types).

The Erbaspacher (radiators) has been run approximately 10 Hrs in three years, usually to take the chill of the boat in those chilly evenings in the Autumn/Spring.

We DON'T have a stove! But only because Madeleine is a hire boat. I'd absolutely want one on a boat I was living aboard. I've even been dreaming up a way of having a bunker arrangement that lets you tip coal in a well deck locker and shovel it from a hatch inside the cabin..... probably impractical if it clashes with the water tank but it would save opening the door and cooling the boat when stoking :)

Help.....

We are currently in discussion with our boat builder and we cannot decide whether to have a solid fuel stove or not? we will have Webasto diesel central heating, but should we also have a stove?

Neither of us are particularly fond of stoves but we will be continuous cruisers and can't decide?

Opinions will be much appreciated

Cheers

Robbie and Suzie

As liveaboards a solid fuel stove is absolutely essential and there is quite simply NO alternative :cheers:

Tim

We don't have central heating, I was expecting it to be an absolute necessity but after reading all these threads I'm thinking maybe not?

We have a stove which is pretty much in the centre of the boat, we don't liveaboard (yet??) and haven't experienced a winter yet, so I'll let you know.

We wouldn't have bought a boat without a stove, unless it had been the right price and wouldn't have taken much effort to put one in.

We have an open fire at home, nothing fancy, ripped the gas fire out and put a grate in. Wouldn't be without it.

Yes yes yes - have a stove fitted. It's our only form of heating and it's kept us snug through 3 winters living aboard, the first two being really harsh ones. We scavenge a lot of our fuel from the towpath and it never breaks down.

I think the point about resale value is a very valid one too - I wouldn't contemplate buying a boat without a solid fuel stove.

I've even been dreaming up a way of having a bunker arrangement that lets you tip coal in a well deck locker and shovel it from a hatch inside the cabin..... probably impractical if it clashes with the water tank but it would save opening the door and cooling the boat when stoking :)

The purchase of a coal scuttle would give a similar benefit for a modest outlay.

We don't have central heating, I was expecting it to be an absolute necessity but after reading all these threads I'm thinking maybe not?

Real benefits of having central heating is that you can automate it, can heat your hot water up and for when tha lazy you can just flick the switch. However if your on moorings that has electric then a oil rads on timers and emersion heater can do these.

Not essential, but possibly nice to have if you disregard the fire hazard, the cabin space they take up and the fact they are dirty things if solid fuel.

Last winter the ice was skate-able and the previous two winters we got to below -16 degC and we survived happily on oil filled rads, backed up occasionally by a Kabola diesel boiler (running water rads).

If you get a stove make sure you get a back boiler model (and if you have water rads make sure your engine cooling can be used to heat them when wanted).

Edited by Kiwipeter

lundynigel Wednesday,12 September, 2012 at 5:55 pmGood evening one & all;

I've read everything on this brilliant site for a year or so now, and I am constantly amazed by the knowledge you all have – I now know that I know nothing. So, for my first post ever, anywhere, (please bear with me, I'm a total novice to sites such as this) I will tap into your combined extensive experience & ask …

Having spent countless holidays over countless years (in all seasons) on the cut, I am seriously contemplating a new build live-aboard in the next 3-4 years & have a zillion questions, but this is my first. (I also appreciate that there will probably now be a zillion different answers to this but ask I will anyway even though I realise that there is no definitive answer) …<br style="padding: 0px; margin: 0px; width: auto; height: auto; min-height: 0px; min-width: 0px; ">So here I go …

HEATING – I feel that through reading various manufacturers blurb, I have been 'sucked into' considering a diesel fired heating system as the primary source of heating – but I have pulled back, rethought everything, and having re-read numerous posts on this, and other sites, I now realise that I am maybe overcomplicating everything and ignoring what it is that I originally wanted. I want simplicity (as much is as possible) – that's it in a nutshell …

Ideally, I want two ways to heat water, & the boat, for the simple reason that should one fail, then there is an alternative. Having originally chosen to ignore solid fuel stoves (Squirrel or whatever), I am beginning to think that something along these lines (back boiler & gravity fed? – primarily for winter months) with a gas/diesel secondary source (for the wonderful English summer – HA!) surely must be the best way to go.

In a 'former life', I spent many years driving HGV's and Coaches all over Europe, so I am NOT particularly enamoured with either Webasto's or Ebersdingdong's and resulting complexities regarding failures…

Am I totally wrong? I await any/all answers with great interest. Thank you for taking the time to read this and, (maybe) reading your varied opinions … I have a feeling you will either frighten me to death or invite further questions.

Thanks in anticipation of whatever …

The one thing I regret is not retro fitting back-boiler with calorifier connection to my morso when I had the money to do it.

There is no way I would attempt to live onboard through some of the recent winters without a solid fuel stove. This will be my 5th winter.

My eberespachboing thingy is never used for heating, just for hot water - 30 minutes a day on average.

Oh, and looking at the forcast and clearing skies, I think I am going to light it now.

Consider how you will keep warm when the Webasto is out of action, which it surely will be at some point. We have Webasto and a Bubble Stove, and need them both. Wether you go for diesel or solid fuel is up to you but, as I say, you will need both.

Yes, we are similar, with an Eversplogger and Bubble. Eversplogger is just used to take chill off on cold mornings and warm the water. Bubble is used when it gets cold for longer, although I have to say, we moor in a marina, and their elec is quite cheap so we have bought a stat and time switched convector, 2kw, which does most of the work, and boosted by a fan heater if necessary down aft. But we mind not to blow the 16A supply so limit appliaances to 3kw max at any one time.

The one single reason why most of the 'live the dreamaboards' jump ship after the first winter in the marina we run from is:

'couldn't cope with the cold'

Diesel heating will not cope and I am surprised at your builder not telling you this in a blunt fashion.

Get an ecofan as well.

Sorry, if you include a Bubble Stove in your statement, I vehamently disagree. Produces as much heat as a solid fuel stove. But if you mean Webasto / Sploggers etc, then you might well be right!

As has been mentioned, diesel heaters can be noisy. Out of consideration for your neighbours you probably wouldn't run it late at night or early in the morning.

Some marinas may make this a rule.

If you've got both then you have flexibility when things go wrong (they will).

Oh, and I actually enjoy lighting the stove!

I can feel the lovely warmth from mine now, lit 1/2 hour ago, my ecofan is spinning and warming the furthest reaches of my bedroom........ :P

chocolate kettle, bah!!!!

:wacko:

Yup just lit ours for the first time this season. Warming my tootsies within a few minutes, that lovely sound of wood crackling and mesmerising flames.

Only trouble is I've lost a great place to put my glass and book!

Yup just lit ours for the first time this season. Warming my tootsies within a few minutes, that lovely sound of wood crackling and mesmerising flames.

Only trouble is I've lost a great place to put my glass and book!

glass, one hand

book, other hand

dave, stoking stove and replenishing glass, turning pages.

easy