Narrowboat on the Moselle

Geoffrey Hammond

Featured Posts

I have just returned from a week exploring the Moselle by bicycle, boat and train - a most excellent holiday.

Has anyone ever kept or used a narrowboat on this river? There seemed to be many reasons why it might work out:

• 14 or so locks - so that the stream is controlled
  • Separate small boat locks - 18m x 3m on average
  • Plenty of off-stream moorings
  • Huge amounts of beauty
  • 200 km or so to explore

Yes, there are some mighty barges and pleasure boats using it, but seemed plenty of room to avoid the worst of their wake.

Sorry for the delay in replying, saw the post, thought I could find the answer and then forgot about doing anything.

Anyway, it looks like Bill Davies did spend time on the Moselle during his time in Europe. http://www.billybubbles.demon.co.uk/journey/20060825.html gives some details, there may be more on his website.

Many thanks.

What a charming and lively read.

I shall certainly look closely at his website later.

I would suggest watching "The longest narrowboat journey in the world" Nick Saunders trip to the black sea there is a section on Arzviller and the canals around the area the Mosselle is large enough to be classed in the largest category on VNF's map for vessels over 110 metres in length

other than that I can't help.