Doug Moore plaque

Ange

Featured Posts

Courtesy of Travis we are now in possession of this (photo shamelessly stolen from Travis' thread)

001-1.jpg

I have a couple of questions before we get it engraved and place it on Iona.

Firstly, the blank bit obviously wants the build number. There are two numbers on Iona's shell S45 and 15. We believe the S45 means that she is number 45 built by Doug Moore, and the 15 means that she was the 15th built at Lower Park Marina. So which do we have engraved? My hunch, due to the wording on the plaque, is 15, but I'd like to hear from other DM owners to verify this.

The second question, which might be a bit of numpty one, is was there a particular place these plaques were sited? I'd be interested again to hear from other DM owners, if possible with photos of their plaque in situ.

I dithered over where to put this thread, but decided on history and heritage because Doug Moore boats are now part of boating history, albeit recent history. I hope no one objects.

If you don't get any proper answers to your question regarding location, may I suggest the fore end cross member (lip) of the well Deck, facing astern.

You will then be able to show it off and polish it easily.

Martyn

PS. I see you have a Cratch Cover. So you will have to have the cover off/open all the time.:huh:

If you don't get any proper answers to your question regarding location, may I suggest the fore end cross member (lip) of the well Deck, facing astern.

That is where our 'Colecraft' one is.

Why not: S45/15? (Leave the question mark off though). :blush:

Sorry - I'm not a DM owner.

Ha yes, an idea for if we can't make our minds up!

I believe you are correct.

I would go with 45.

Our hunch was 15 :D Can you put me in contact with any fellow DM owners Richard? If I can find one who has a plaque I'd get a definitive answer.

You will then be able to show it off and polish it easily.

Martyn

PS. I see you have a Cratch Cover. So you will have to have the cover off/open all the time.:huh:

Hmm cratch cover stays up when the weather's good. Not been too much of that this summer! Cheers for the suggestion

That is where our 'Colecraft' one is.

Do you have a photo of it please?

When we had our 'narra built ar Roger Lorenz's yard I mounted the builders plaque with a nice Lister one from Uxbridge onto a polished wood plynth. It was mounted in the saloon as a talking point.

Another good idea - thanks Travis.

Our Stowe Hill one is at the rear of the cabin at the aft deck.

Does that make sense?

Cheers Keith - I'll have to get you to show us when we visit next month.

Hello Ange if you click on the link and scroll down to "what readers say Lee101 appears to be able to speak to Doug Moore and you may get your answers there.

http://www.waterwaysworld.com/questionspost.cgi?post=52

Regards Stuart [Hope you are all well]

Hi Stuart - good to hear from you! Thanks for that linky. Not sure whether I want to trouble Doug in his retirement just yet, but I'll bear that in mind.

We're both good thanks - hope you & Val are keeping well.

Sorry Ange this is the best I can do -

This was taken when our boat was being built. (not by me obviously)

Thanks Martin. That definitely wouldn't work for us as we've far too much stuff on the front deck - it doubles as Dave's workshop for his woodworking!

Nice to see such a pristine plaque. I think I still have the pattern in my store, Boatmans Cabin Co cast these a long time ago. The lettering style is Clarendon bold and the pattern was made as a letraset layout and transferred photographicly onto water washed etchable polymer. Hand moulded in fine "petrabond" sand facing.

Because of loss of true skills in the brass industry this process would be difficult to reproduce today, such is progress.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

Nice to see such a pristine plaque. I think I still have the pattern in my store, Boatmans Cabin Co cast these a long time ago. The lettering style is Clarendon bold and the pattern was made as a letraset layout and transferred photographicly onto water washed etchable polymer. Hand moulded in fine "petrabond" sand facing.

Because of loss of true skills in the brass industry this process would be difficult to reproduce today, such is progress.

Thanks Laurence - some interesting information! Alas a lot of skills are being or have been lost in this country.

Thanks Martin. That definitely wouldn't work for us as we've far too much stuff on the front deck - it doubles as Dave's workshop for his woodworking!

No worries - actually we didn't know it was there until we removed the dryer and table that had been installed in front of it...

• 9 years later...
1 hour ago, Deansm said:

Hi, 

Would you be able to tell me where you purchased this from as ill be needing a j.j.c doug moore one or three :)

Hi. Ours was given to us by a fellow boater who was local to Barnoldswick, I'm not aware of any being available to purchase.

Good luck with your search.