Shower cubicle

DJ Lady Heidi

Featured Posts

Hi I'm in the middle of a refit with a domestic builder and I've bought a deep shower tray and pump but I have no idea what's the best way to keep it water tight and sealed on the cheap .... I can't afford a cubicle so was thinking of tiling ... Anybody got any good suggestions ??

Hi I'm in the middle of a refit with a domestic builder and I've bought a deep shower tray and pump but I have no idea what's the best way to keep it water tight and sealed on the cheap .... I can't afford a cubicle so was thinking of tiling ... Anybody got any good suggestions ??

I personally would avoid tiles, see if you can google mermaid board or something I used in care home shower rooms was plastic sheet, easy to work with and not too expensive. I have known people who faced bulkheads with vinyl flooring, waterproof easy to fix and to keep clean. I'm sure a lot more help will be along soon.

Phil

I personally would avoid tiles, see if you can google mermaid board or something I used in care home shower rooms was plastic sheet, easy to work with and not too expensive. I have known people who faced bulkheads with vinyl flooring, waterproof easy to fix and to keep clean. I'm sure a lot more help will be along soon.

Phil

Some good advice there.

I used Homebase "cheap as sh*t" range of tiles (I think that's what they were called :) ) to tile my whole bathroom on the boat, including the walls round the shower over the bath. Several years on they've given no problems at all. I stuck them on using five blobs of No More Nails flexible shockproof clear coloured goop, on the back of each tile. And grouted them with flexible grout. I prefer the finish to vinyl (which is what it replaced)

Although starcoaster's sparkly shower is making me think her panelled shower is quite a snazzy alternative! :)

Edited by BlueStringPudding

Hi Heidi

We used tiles, as long as you use a minimum 18mm ply backing solidly fixed to boat sides or stud wall, tiles will do ok adhered with standard tile adhesive. We fitted a double shower tray and even extended that a bit. where the tiles meet the shower tray use a good sealant like Stixall to seal that join, it's flexible so won' crack. You can tile all the way to the ceiling but at tthe op again use a flexible sealer where they meet he ceiling. We also covered this join with beading to finish off nicely.

Bathroomlooside-1.jpg

Hi Heidi

We used tiles, as long as you use a minimum 18mm ply backing solidly fixed to boat sides or stud wall, tiles will do ok adhered with standard tile adhesive. We fitted a double shower tray and even extended that a bit. where the tiles meet the shower tray use a good sealant like Stixall to seal that join, it's flexible so won' crack. You can tile all the way to the ceiling but at tthe op again use a flexible sealer where they meet he ceiling. We also covered this join with beading to finish off nicely.

Bathroomlooside-1.jpg

Hi

I had a new bathroom fitted on the boat last week. For years we have used tiles inside the shower or bath and however well they are done inevitably they need regrouting from time to time. This time we have had vinyl floor covering to line the shower. It looks great is easily sealed at the edges, waterproof and easily cleaned, should have done it years ago.

Tim

Thanks for advice guys ... Gonna look into marine boards as the foamex is quite expensive .... Julynian .. Your shower looks amazing - where do I get doors like that from ? Mine is a standard shower tray but all the doors I have seen are too tall

Thanks for advice guys ... Gonna look into marine boards as the foamex is quite expensive .... Julynian .. Your shower looks amazing - where do I get doors like that from ? Mine is a standard shower tray but all the doors I have seen are too tall

The Coram Optima shower door is the right height. See My link

We used this when redoing our shower - brilliant!

I used plastic wall cladding to redo our shower after the tiles had failed, got ours from B&Q, they were not expensive, £30 or so a pack IIRC & used approx 3 packs.

Can't find them on B&Q website but these on ebay are very similar. Give me a shout when you're up & about then you can see for yourself.

Julia

Edited by Jamboat

Hi Heidi

I got them from a company called Karma shower enclosures. They had these sliding doors in many sizes so I deliberately built the shower door opening to accept one of their sizes so avoiding buying expensive bespoke sizes. Excellent quality doors, good solid Aluminium nicely finished and real Glass. Believe it or not they were fitted by Karma for an additional £50.00 and they came to the canal to do it.

You will have a problem with door height though. These are 1830mm only, However I do recall They can easily reduce frame size but would cost extra. We were lucky and had a 2" clearance from ceiling. I'm sure they were under £300 when we bought them, but that was 5 years ago. They're pretty pricey now but I would buy again even at that price.

http://www.karmaenclosures.co.uk/slider.html

Bathroom1-1.jpg

Bathroomdispensertowelrail-1.jpg

Phil

I went the flooring vinyl route, I would think it very difficult to get tilting to stay waterproof.

So how do they do it in houses?

Showers in houses are not normally inside a vibrating steel box that gets hit and hits other things. If I started hitting the walls of my bathroom in the house every day with a big hammer I would expect the tiling to lose its waterproof properties after a time.