A Marina Comparison Site?

Geoffrey Hammond

Featured Posts

A brief enquiry.

Does there exist a marina comparison site - one to which one might turn in order to find out certain basic details:

The charge to moor - shall we say - a 50ft boat for a year

The charge for electricity per unit

The width of the entrance/exit channel

The number of moorings in the marina

Etc

I know that it might be time-consuming and little lauded to compile - what is an important detail to one person, is of no consequence to another, but I just wondered if anyone had had a go at putting together such information - even if for just a small cruising area.

Many thanks.

Edited by Geoffrey Hammond
  • Greenie 1

I am not sure of the potential value of such an undertaking. One of the main considerations in choosing a marina/mooring has got to be geographical. After all any savings made in using a cheap site at the other end of the country could easily be negated by travel costs to and from your boat, not to mention the inconvenience.

I am not sure of the potential value of such an undertaking. One of the main considerations in choosing a marina/mooring has got to be geographical. After all any savings made in using a cheap site at the other end of the country could easily be negated by travel costs to and from your boat, not to mention the inconvenience.

Yes, I understand your point and it is fair.

However, it could well help some people if the marinas were grouped geographically for comparison.

I think there would be people who might feel helped by a comparison of, shall we say, all the marinas within 20 miles of Rugby - and I think there are many!

Waterways World Annual has a good section dealing with marinas; it has all the information on them by canal, names telephones, web addresses, berths max boat dimensions, residential, etc

But no costs, which really would be hard to update as many factors, come in to play.

No short cuts I’m afraid

• Greenie 1

Different people have different perceptions of what they want from a marina (eg facilities, atmosphere, etc) and also everyone will be a slightly different distance from each; and value where they are located on the waterways network in a different way. So a comparison site wouldn't be able to tell you the best marina for you, although it would be able to provide a lot of the information in making that decision.

Why is the lovely marina at St Mary's at Rufford never mentioned in the Waterways World list?

(Rufford branch of the Leeds and Liverpool)

Just had a look at St Mary's. Looks good and £250 a year cheaper than our on-line farm moorings where we moor presently.

And, it;s ever so close to where I woz brung up.

Interesting, but totally irrelevant. But who knows, maybe next year................:wub:

Martyn