Appeal - Chesterfield Canal

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

Asking a boater to forgo a pint is not something I do lightly and I appreciate it is something that is going to take a lot of consideration on the part of every boater reading this but that is what I am asking you to do!

The Chesterfield Canal Trust have a problem they need some very urgent help with:

"We need your help to bring Staveley Town Basin alive!

We have a scheme ready to go to build the next stage of Staveley Town Lock and to construct the first buildings.

We need £20,500 in match funding that will release a grant of £200,000 to get started. We already have £17,000 of this in the Staveley Town Lock Fund and other funds.

We need a further £3,500 by November this year or the whole grant will be lost.

We are appealing for donations to reach our target."

Anyone who has seen the work already done to the basin and the surrounding area will know just how much this has transformed the area. There is a grant of £200,000 just sitting there waiting to be dropped into The Trusts hands but before they can get it they need to raise a further £3,500 before November. If they can't do that then the entire grant will be lost.

Is that a good enough reason to forgo just one pint this weekend and donate the money to The Trust instead?

Here is the link to the information on The Trusts own website: We Need Your Help

You can assist by "buying a brick" at this link: Buy a brick

There are other options for donating - contact the trust if you would like more details.

Any individuals wishing to hand donations to me, I will be at The Alvecote Festival, The Shackerstone Festival and The Stourbridge Festival - I suspect most forum members are, like me, very passionate about seeing the restoration of our canals continue. Can you help in making sure this grant does not get lost?

• Greenie 1

Asking a boater to forgo a pint is not something I do lightly and I appreciate it is something that is going to take a lot of consideration on the part of every boater reading this but that is what I am asking you to do!

The Chesterfield Canal Trust have a problem they need some very urgent help with:

Anyone who has seen the work already done to the basin and the surrounding area will know just how much this has transformed the area. There is a grant of £200,000 just sitting there waiting to be dropped into The Trusts hands but before they can get it they need to raise a further £3,500 before November. If they can't do that then the entire grant will be lost.

Is that a good enough reason to forgo just one pint this weekend and donate the money to The Trust instead?

Here is the link to the information on The Trusts own website: We Need Your Help

There are other options for donating - contact the trust if you would like more details.

Any individuals wishing to hand donations to me, I will be at The Alvecote Festival, The Shackerstone Festival and The Stourbridge Festival - I suspect most forum members are, like me, very passionate about seeing the restoration of our canals continue. Can you help in making sure this grant does not get lost?

OK, done.

699 more bricks and they will be sorted.

Thank you so much!

You know what is fantastic about this thread?

Of course it is wonderful that people have posted to say they have visited the website and purchased a brick but there are at this time 70 views of the thread and I know that there is a possibility that at least one or two of those 70 people will have toddled off to the giving page and done their bit totally anonymously and if that applies to you then I would like to thank you

I apologise in advance but I will just keep bumping it up and if others are not in a finacial position to give themselves then perhaps they can comment to bump it up or share the link to the Chesterfield Canal Trust's own page on their Facebook or Twitter sites and spread the word throughout the boating community and beyond - it all helps!

Wow! look at you all forming a queue now! I am really thrilled at the responce and I am certain the trustees will be too! Keep it coming all you lovely people!

Done but missed the add gift aid. Is there a way to remedy ?

Paul

Good question and one I don't know the answer to I am afraid - I wonder if you try to only purchase the gift aid via this link: Gift Aid will it allow you without actually doing a donation> Perhaps there is a place you can add a note to say it is attached to the donation you already sent? - Failing that I would copy and paste the statement about adding gift aid into an email to The Trust and advise the reference number or whatever there is to identify you contribution and they should be able to add it retrospectively

Been waiting to write this : "Another brick in the wall". ;)

I love that! Perhaps that needs to be our anthem until we raise that £3,500! :cheers:

In fact thank you again to everyone who has helped out, whether you have posted to say you have done so or not, your assistance is greatly appreciated. I don't know how closely the trustees are monitoring the influx of "bricks" but I will be having a coffee with one of them tomorrow and will let her know the fantastic response you guys have had to this appeal.

You are all amazing!

Chesh you've sent me an e-mail today regarding some money that could come my way. I've tried to reply but for some reason it won't send so......

Please add any money coming my way to the Chesterfield Canal fund

Chesh you've sent me an e-mail today regarding some money that could come my way. I've tried to reply but for some reason it won't send so......

Please add any money coming my way to the Chesterfield Canal fund

Thank you kind sir this is a common theme it seems!

:( I must be doing some thing wrong as when I have tried to buy 5 bricks for me and my 'saplings' its ok until I go to check-out and then it seems to stall ??? I have even registered as a member, so now I am more confuddled than usual anyone got 'tips' ?? :help:

I have just tried again by logging onto the site from here and have pasted what I get :

'Products marked with *** are not available in the desired quantity or not in stock' I only wanted to buy 5 and everytime I go to the check-out I get this message :(

Edited by tree

:( I must be doing some thing wrong as when I have tried to buy 5 bricks for me and my 'saplings' its ok until I go to check-out and then it seems to stall ??? I have even registered as a member, so now I am more confuddled than usual anyone got 'tips' ?? :help:

That is very worryng! Perhaps between all these generous forum members the site has got a bit busy?

I know it is a lot of hassle to do them all individually but have you tried just doing one to see if ot lets you?

If there is a problem then it will have to be reported asap. Thanks for trying Tree, It is most unfair that it is not as easy for you as it should be - don't give up trying please x

That is very worryng! Perhaps between all these generous forum members the site has got a bit busy?

I know it is a lot of hassle to do them all individually but have you tried just doing one to see if ot lets you?

If there is a problem then it will have to be reported asap. Thanks for trying Tree, It is most unfair that it is not as easy for you as it should be - don't give up trying please x

:) thanks for that I will try and do it 1 at a time and failing that will try again tomorrow :) I wont give up as its a way of keeping our waterway heritage alive for future generations :)

:) Eureka !!! all is well , the site allowed me to purchase 1 brick, at a time, so it will have to be 1 brick down and 4 to go lol,

I have left a message on the site outlining the 'puddle' that I had.

Lorraine :rolleyes:

Edited by tree

I believe the Chesterfield restoration is a valuable addition to the canal network, and there are many issues and obstacles for the remaing 8 or so miles. So Staveley must be sorted first. I suppose the most ambitious is the Rother Link and the envisaged navigation to join up with the Sheffield & South Yorkshire Navigation at Rotherham. Any funds for ensuring that Staveley Basin, must be considered a step in the right direction.

Ray Shill

• Greenie 1