Marina recommendations please

Zayna

Featured Posts

It might be a big ask, but we're looking for a Marina to keep our boat, about an hour from where we live (Preston area). We'd thought about Northwich but aren't sure now. We're not living aboard, but want to be able to take the boat out for an afternoon now and then with the relatives, so would like a couple of hours of nice scenery, as well as be able to access lots of the system for longer trips for ourselves.

It must be secure because I worry myself sick about leaving it anywhere. Stupid thing to say really, of course everyone wants their boat to be safe.

We're not fussed about the marina having a bistro or a gift shop, iyswim, it would just be nice for it to be somewhere lovely where there are other things to do when we've put the boat to bed.

Sorry if I'm being naive, but any recommendations would be very welcome, thank you.

It might be a big ask, but we're looking for a Marina to keep our boat, about an hour from where we live (Preston area). We'd thought about Northwich but aren't sure now. We're not living aboard, but want to be able to take the boat out for an afternoon now and then with the relatives, so would like a couple of hours of nice scenery, as well as be able to access lots of the system for longer trips for ourselves.

It must be secure because I worry myself sick about leaving it anywhere. Stupid thing to say really, of course everyone wants their boat to be safe.

We're not fussed about the marina having a bistro or a gift shop, iyswim, it would just be nice for it to be somewhere lovely where there are other things to do when we've put the boat to bed.

Sorry if I'm being naive, but any recommendations would be very welcome, thank you.

Hi

My two penneth worth for what its worth. Dont get too anal about " security " I have never had my boats broken into in 23 years of leaving them all over the system. I have however had two burglaries in properties in a shorter timescale.

:cheers

Tim

• Greenie 1

Hi

My two penneth worth for what its worth. Dont get too anal about " security " I have never had my boats broken into in 23 years of leaving them all over the system. I have however had two burglaries in properties in a shorter timescale.

:cheers

Tim

Thanks for this, I think I'm just nervous because I'm new to boating and the boat is new to us, therefore I'm like a fussy mother hen. I'm sure I'll calm down a bit eventually. :blush:

Hi. Whilst I have never been in but have passed recently, Overwater looks good and gets some favorable comments. Good location as well with easy cruising to Chester or along the very scenic Middlewich branch. The Llangollen is a spit away as well and if you are feeling energetic, the Audlem flight is on your doorstep. If we lived in the area, we would seriously consider it. :cheers:

Barton Grange Marina is very clean, small, nicely finished and it appears very secure

We were most impressed when we looked at it

Barton Grange Marina is very clean, small, nicely finished and it appears very secure

We were most impressed when we looked at it

Thank you, it is a lovely place, I go to the garden centre quite often, but it's on the Lancaster canal and we don't want to be on the Lancaster, we want easy access to the 'main' canals. But thanks, kind of you to reply.

Reedley Marina near Colne,Marina at Barnoldswick,online moorings at Niffany Bridge at Skipton.

Very scenic it is too, but the locks are big and heavy and they hire out WIDEBEAMS in them their hills. Now that is scary. :cheers:

Swanley Bridge Marina, on the Llangollen, near Nantwich.

Friendly, very peaceful, no bistros, cafes, shops. Worksheds well away from moorings.

Been there two years, very happily....but we like it quiet.

Just over an hour from the centre of Preston.

Swanley Bridge Marina, on the Llangollen, near Nantwich.

Friendly, very peaceful, no bistros, cafes, shops. Worksheds well away from moorings.

Been there two years, very happily....but we like it quiet.

Just over an hour from the centre of Preston.

Seconded. Been there since it opened. Never had an issue.

There's also white Bear marina at Adlington - its a BW (CaRt ?) marina, problem is you've got wigan flight one way and johnsons hillock flight the other...

Reedley at burnley is very nice and secure too (and cheaper than white bear). its pretty full but might be worth giving them a ring to see if they have a space free/coming up.

Theres also lower park Marina and elwy at barnoldswick.

all within reasonable travelling of preston and without needing to fight down the M6 on a friday night...

I'd recommend Reedley though...

We are currently using Swanley as a temporary mooring, and I also think that it is a very nice quite place. The only thing I would say is that there is not really anywhere to go without going through locks, so perhaps not great for a quick day out potter.

There's the pub down the road.

I meant by boat of course! Turn left and you have Hurleston locks in less than 2 miles, turn right and you are straight on Swanley locks. Would not put me off, its similar at Calcutt where we moor, but the OP did say

We're not living aboard, but want to be able to take the boat out for an afternoon now and then with the relatives, so would like a couple of hours of nice scenery, as well as be able to access lots of the system for longer trips for ourselves.

so I thought it worth pointing out.

Thanks for these recommendations. I think we need a day out in the car for an explore.

Anyone got any thoughts on Orchard Marina in Northwich please?

I would say anywhere along the northern T&M would be ideal for your purposes. No locks, lovely countryside, Anderton Boat Lift nearby for a more exciting trip out. Orchard, Uplands or Anderton all worth a close look.

Thanks for these recommendations. I think we need a day out in the car for an explore.

Anyone got any thoughts on Orchard Marina in Northwich please?

Orchard marina is in the countryside not far from Billinge Green flashes.

If you have a weekend spare you could look at most of the marinas in the area to compare the facilities and prices.

Marinas in the area have been mentioned above but you should have a look at :- Uplands, Anderton, Orchard, Aqueduct, Venetian, Nantwich, Overwater and Swanley.

There is also another marina being built near Orchard marina but I am not sure when it will be completed.

If your boat is 40ft or less you could apply to join Nantwich & Border Counties Yacht Club where they have on line moorings.

Steve

Nantwich.

Friendly staff, simple walk into a very nice small town, easy reach of that Welsh canal with toooo many "L" in its name. Not a gigantic caravan park, but a nice crowded basin, run by people who love canals.

Have you considered Rufford, two marinas there, all facilities. It's on the train line back to Preston. Lovely scenery for a weekend. Plus point is the short drive from your home to your boat. A year for 57 foot is about 1800 pounds.

Yes I would suggest St Mary's at Rufford they have just built another small Marina so would imagine there should be some vacancies.

Thank you all. We're still debating. We need to be somewhere where it's not too far to get the boat out of the water in the winter and get the blacking done.

I'll let you know where we end up! :cheers:

St Mary's at Rufford have facilities at the Marina for blacking / painting.

Thanks. For some reason though, we've never considered mooring on the Leeds Liverpool. Why is that? I've no idea. I'd love to hear recommendations for the LL, we did go to the boat festival at Skipton this year and it was lovely...