Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kessy

Water Chariots Olympic trip boats drop fare to £20

93 posts in this topic

So are WC on target for their predicted 200 000 passengers over the Limpick/Paralimpick period?

Btw it's the Lee Navigation, not the Lea Navigation whoever wrote their website.

Edited by PiRSqwared

So are WC on target for their predicted 200 000 passengers over the Limpick/Paralimpick period?

Btw it's the Lee Navigation, not the Lea Navigation whoever wrote their website.

I think that's a NO!

I think that's a NO!

I think you might be right. It would be interesting to find out what has happened.

Wow - that looks serious!

We have a culture in this country of wanting enterprise to fail. I have to bite my lip when people whinge on at the price of diesel or gas when they pull in at the marina we operate from. How on earth do they think the business rates, wages etc are paid every year?

I have a view that Water Chariots was one hell of a financial gamble for such a short event and was surprised at their expectations.

That said, isn't it a crying shame that we may have lost another opportunity to encourage people onto the waterways who might then go on to hire boats, buy boats, volunteer to clean up the environment all of which helps the waterways become a more lovely place.

As an aside and whilst having a rare rant....Someone called me up today who is thinking of spending 75k plus on a narrowboat (from a builder not in anyway connected to us). Yet, he has never been on a narrowboat and thought a weekend 'taster' might be a good idea - good thinking. I quoted him a price of less than 50% of list price and could almost hear him spit his coffee out and couldn't retreat from the phone quickly enough. So, happy to spend 75k on a posession but not £500 on a rental (and free training to boot)

British madness all over.

I'm just surprised at what must've been a total lack of market research into hire boating in London.

What a risky expensive project it was. What a huge fleet, were they not proposing 30 boats originally? How many hire fleets can we think of that started with that many?

Put it this way. Its really not the easiest way to make money in the capital. Bloody hard work for the money.

It's not as if we don't have other trip boats in London - a couple of hours on the internet will reveal that their prices were way out for what they were offering - I've been a passenger on corporate jollies in town - you get a lot of bang for your buck - nice sit down dinner and evening cruise for about £50 a head. Tablecloth, waiters, entertainment, the lot.

I also noticed that demand on the lower Lee is such that the two trip boats that did operate there were relocated out of town. And the hire base in the pretty bit no longer does holiday hire as they couldn't make it pay.

A shame. But not a surprise either. Maybe when the river has been tidied up a bit more in a few years, there might be market for it. Maybe one or two boats.

I hope the workers got paid.

Anyway. Anyone want a cheap widebeam?

Edited by Lady Muck

I don't think Ferry Lane Primary School would agree that the landing at Tottenham Hale is "of negligible benefit to the community". Please take the time to view the following link and make sure you read the comments from the children at the bottom http://leadership.ferrylane.net/2012/06/21/prince-charles-water-chariots/ This trip and the many others we have planned with local schools would not be possible without the new waterbus stop. these trips are not paid for by grants,donations or lottery money they are paid for by Water Chariots.

Still think it was a waste of money? I will let you tell the children of Ferry Lane School that the trip planned for later this year around the Olympic Park will be canceled.

Just wondering if the children from Ferry Lane School will still get that trip ?........

Well one of our aims in Stonebridge is to get more community boats here in Tottenham. Hopefully they will not only get that trip, we want to run a proper programme of activities up here.

Does anyone know what the airdraft, draft and width is of these boats - we are in the process of ordering a new trip boat on the Basingstoke (to replace the John Pinkerton) and as a charity we need to spend our money wisely. If these boats would fit the basingstoke then we ought to look at them, if not then we have discharged our responsibilities appropriately by asking about them and finding they are not suitable.

So, am I correct in thinking that because the boats are 'owned' by a company that isn't one of the two liquidated, it looks like the creditors won't get paid.

Good luck to them with their new hire boat business. I hope they've done their research this time. <_<

Another arrived here yesterday and apparently most of the others, about eight of them, are to follow. I don't think they are planning to operate in the area though.

Edited by LoneEcho

I wonder where they are gonna go? I think they are way too big to be hire boats up here, btw, especially on the Stort.

I wonder where they are gonna go? I think they are way too big to be hire boats up here, btw, especially on the Stort.

There was a posting on here saying they had been offered for sale on the Norfolk Broads

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0