Volunteer Lock Watchers

Tuscan

Featured Posts

In previous posts I have been broadly supportive of these guys. Getting to the Buckby flight today we waited for another boat and met a guy at he bottom lock who seemed friendly enough helped open the gate no issues. No other sign of any one. At he top lock by he closed New Inn was his oppo. My wife , bless her, late 50's and 5' struggled to close the gate but couldn't our volunteer watcher resplendent in his blue sweat shirt and life jacket stood there , I shouted don't hurt yourself I expec someone will help nothing , still talking and watching. Eventually the guy on the boat next to me in the lck nearest the gate climbed out and helped close the gate.

We struggled to comprehend his ignorance anybody walking past would have helped as we all do.

Madness only made better by no boats at all moored at Braunston top lock normally it's full.

In previous posts I have been broadly supportive of these guys.

According to the training they receive they are lock keepers NOT lock operators, only those at mechanical locks are operator trained. They are there primary to ensure the YOU operate the lock safely and that the lock is functioning and maintained correctly. Offers of cups of tea may help, Hob Nobs get a better response I find. I already know of several volunteer keepers how have given up or are on the verge of giving up because of the attitudes of some of the boaters.

I do have to ask why as you know you wife finds it so hard to operate a lock that you let her ashore to do the task, and don't do the job yourself and leave her to do the easier job of steering.

• Greenie 1

According to the training they receive they are lock keepers NOT lock operators, only those at mechanical locks are operator trained. They are there primary to ensure the YOU operate the lock safely and that the lock is functioning and maintained correctly. Offers of cups of tea may help, Hob Nobs get a better response I find. I already know of several volunteer keepers how have given up or are on the verge of giving up because of the attitudes of some of the boaters.

I do have to ask why as you know you wife finds it so hard to operate a lock that you let her ashore to do the task, and don't do the job yourself and leave her to do the easier job of steering.

Simple after a major op recently I can't , I don't expect them to be lock keepers or operatives anything, I expect as a member of the public they would assist another member of public trying to close a particularly difficult lock whch presumably you manage with ease. This is not a case of attitude just common sense , if he doesnt want to be here then I suggest he does give up although your post seems to suggest that they are now open to bribery as YOU are proposing. I find a simple please and thankyou works well without resorting to tips.

Most I have met have been ok, though one told me off for handbraking top gate paddles down, then told me I would be reported. All the others were hands on. I see no point in them doing it if they are just going to stand and watch.

I'm not pro or anti volunteer lockies, but have to say that at Fradley they seem to open locks for approaching boats, help with working the lock & close the gate for the leaving boat.

My experience of them so far has been all positive, but I take it as a bonus if they help, I don't expect every lock to be worked for me (and wouldn't want it). In the OP's case I suspect the guy just didn't realise that OP's wife was having difficulty - yes perhaps too busy chatting to someone else! I doubt it was a deliberate snub.

Edited by nicknorman

Most I have met have been ok, though one told me off for handbraking top gate paddles down, then told me I would be reported. All the others were hands on. I see no point in them doing it if they are just going to stand and watch.

I have been wondering what they are for. So far I have had them impede our progress and try to recruit us to CaRT or the IWA. I can see that being AA men* would be very attractive to them

Richard

*Ay, ay - don't do that!

According to the training they receive they are lock keepers NOT lock operators, only those at mechanical locks are operator trained. They are there primary to ensure the YOU operate the lock safely and that the lock is functioning and maintained correctly.

Recently we've encountered volunteers at seven sets of locks. They were all very cheerful, but not much use to us and no one helped with gates. I hadn't realised until I read Ian Mac's posting that they were simply on hand to watch and give advice. It does give a poor impression if a volunteer stands idly by while someone is struggling to close a heavy gate without lifting a finger to help.

I personally have no real complaints, though I was mildly irritated by one who shouted and gesticulated to me to move back from the bottom gates before the lock was empty, not realising that the boat always goes back on on its own when the lock is ready.

The only one who was really helpful and closed the gates for us was the chap at Atherstone. However, he turned out to be an ordinary boater who just happened to be wearing a blue sweat shirt and life jacket.

I am a bad lad I always do that.

I too handbrake the paddles down, if they will fall that is. So does the BW lock keeper. Most paddles on the Bath flight, and increasingly on the river to Hanham, need to be wound down, as they are too stiff.

Bath flight now closed again, till at least the 15th. :banghead:

Simple after a major op recently I can't , I don't expect them to be lock keepers or operatives anything, I expect as a member of the public they would assist another member of public trying to close a particularly difficult lock whch presumably you manage with ease.

So let me get this straight your both infirm, and struggling to operate your boat, and you are slagging of a member of the public because he didn't spring to help you, I don't think that is fair.

Maybe if other boaters had been more courteous to our poor volunteer (cups of tea and Hobnobs) he may have been more inclined to help you, maybe he didn't realise you were both struggling so much to operate your boat, using sarcasm will not have helped matters. I know most of us have tried to keep canals friendly places and most of us try and help each other, but these days the number of times one gets put down for doing so, is increasing out of all proportion to the number of extra boats, we are now getting canal rage as a regular occurrence, it use to be very very rare. I've personally seen three example of it so far this summer, and in my opinion all three cases were the result of bad practice or rule breaking, by the people doing the ranting and raging.

Its nice to help but it is not mandatory.

It may be interesting to know why that lock gate was so stiff, was it some other boater bashing it per chance? Did you ask your volunteer chappie if it had been reported to maintenance so it gets fixed? After all this is part of what they are there to do.

So let me get this straight your both infirm, and struggling to operate your boat, and you are slagging of a member of the public because he didn't spring to help you, I don't think that is fair.

Maybe if other boaters had been more courteous to our poor volunteer (cups of tea and Hobnobs) he may have been more inclined to help you, maybe he didn't realise you were both struggling so much to operate your boat, using sarcasm will not have helped matters. I know most of us have tried to keep canals friendly places and most of us try and help each other, but these days the number of times one gets put down for doing so, is increasing out of all proportion to the number of extra boats, we are now getting canal rage as a regular occurrence, it use to be very very rare. I've personally seen three example of it so far this summer, and in my opinion all three cases were the result of bad practice or rule breaking, by the people doing the ranting and raging.

Its nice to help but it is not mandatory.

It may be interesting to know why that lock gate was so stiff, was it some other boater bashing it per chance? Did you ask your volunteer chappie if it had been reported to maintenance so it gets fixed? After all this is part of what they are there to do.

Do you have any association with that rover thing that landed on mars?

We have had largely positive experiences of them.

The best I have seen was at Stoke Hammond Three Locks, who was vigilant to silly things going on at the bottom lock, even though he was at the top.

Definitely adding value.

I don't expect them to work locks for us - I don't think that's the role, although some want to, and, of course, we let them.

Yet to be told we must do it their way. I did wonder when we were whacking all the top paddles, ground and gate, straight up, (both boats in the lock were ours), that we shouldn't, but they seemed happy that we were confident and competent to do so.

I suspect a lot will have given up, given how much negativity has been spread around about them. Personally I think that's a shame, even though I'm one who is happy to work all locks unassisted.

Those of us who know the Buckby locks will sympathize with the OP. The heavy gates are notorious and have been so for donkeys' years. It's got nothing to do with bashed gates, disabled boaters or failure to report the problem. Everyone, no matter how fit and strong, could do with a helping hand at these locks. Boaters will always assist one another as a matter of course. Why couldn't the volunteer do the same?

Edited by koukouvagia

This is a completely personal preference...but having someone else working a lock for me, would be frightening on some. When I open paddles, I'm always closely watching the re-action of the boat....and I change what I'm doing to anticipate the effect on the boat (if I see it beginning to move forwards to fast etc)

I like to get through a lock, at my own pace, in my own way, without engaging in conversations with anyone....(distracting?)

The number of lock sinkings lately, just re-inforces that preference I'm afraid.

If a volunteer is not there to operate it..great...but then again...I wouldnt want someone watching my every move while I'm trying to do it....;-)

We have had largely positive experiences of them.

The best I have seen was at Stoke Hammond Three Locks, who was vigilant to silly things going on at the bottom lock, even though he was at the top.

Definitely adding value.

Quite agree. If it's the same one that we saw, he's been a boater for over twenty five years and knew exactly what was what.

I expect the substandard ones will get weeded out just as officious mooring wardens (when BW had them) were given the boot.

I don't think you've read the OP properly. Neither are infirm, he's had a major operation recently, but is perfectly capable of steering the boat. She's 5 foot nothing but is perfectly able to cope normally, but needed a bit of extra help here. The person involved is not an ordinary member of the public but proudly wears the t-shirt of a volunteer lock keeper.

The OP stated that even a member of the public would help if he saw a woman struggling like that.

I agree with Koukouvagia.

The Buckby flight is just relatively much harder than (say) Stoke Bruerne or Braunston.

Many gates are heavy and/or wrongly balanced, and as well as hard to move, often hard to stop from blowing open again on windy days.

Many paddles are hard too, (with Stoke Bruerne seeming to be worsening, but not as bad as Buckby).

To some extent, my feeling is that it is no small part due to the fall of each Buckby lock being up to a couple of feet more than at the other major GU flights - Those bottom gates simply weigh significantly more.

I don't think it is down to individual faults, or reporting. Those who know these locks know they are harder work, and BW / CaRT must be well aware of that too (already!).

Realistically though, volunteer lock-keepers will be thinly spread, and unlikely to be present at the majority of the locks. They are not easy locks if you are not fairly strong and at full fitness, but that is just how it is, and I doubt they will see much immediate improvement.

Just to repeat, I have no problem with the concept of volunteer lock keepers quite the reverse , the Buckby flight are always hard and the top gate by the New Inn especially so. I was on the offside the boat we had worked up with was nearest my wife, after some minutes of trying she couldn't close it. The volunteer lock keeper NOT operator as has been pointed out to me could not be arsed to help so my helpful fellow boater in the lock next to me kindly , under the no doubt the lock operators helpful gaze , climbed out of the deep lock up the ladder and helped close the gate. Not malign a drama and if the pub had been open one of the drinkers would have helped as is normally the case. That's it end of story.

Probably being a bit of a numpty but what's this? smiley_offtopic.gif

1344492769[/url]' post='919302']

Probably being a bit of a numpty but what's this? smiley_offtopic.gif

Gripping the shaft of the paddle mechanism gently to act as a friction brake to allow paddle to drop gently under its own weight, quicker than winding a paddle down. It ensures the paddle doesn't just drop quickly and bang down.

Those of us who know the Buckby locks will sympathize with the OP. The heavy gates are notorious and have been so for donkeys' years. It's got nothing to do with bashed gates, disabled boaters or failure to report the problem. Everyone, no matter how fit and strong, could do with a helping hand at these locks. Boaters will always assist one another as a matter of course. Why couldn't the volunteer do the same?

The top lock at Buckby is yet another example of BW (as was) looking after everyones interests before the people who pay ie boaters.

In order to widen the adjacent road, the balance beams have been made so short as to have virtually no leverage. Thanks to the massive cross section of said beams they may still balance but that does nothing for the leverage required to open/close the gate. The last time I passed through going downhill I was forced to leave one open, reasoning that the next user may have more than one person on the boat.

Another example of this anti boating practice is Star lock in Stone but there are many others.

George ex nb Alton retired

Edited by furnessvale

Guest leeparkinson

Gripping the shaft of the paddle mechanism gently to act as a friction brake to allow paddle to drop gently under its own weight, quicker than winding a paddle down. It ensures the paddle doesn't just drop quickly and bang down.

To me it is much safere to handbrake the paddle than to try and back wind a heavy paddle when I was a kid I got hit by the lock handle trying to back wind and unless the paddle won't go down I never use my lock handle