COOL MAN!

Featured Posts

I think I'm taking it down to the yard in Staines on Friday. Just waiting for some cheap welding blankets that I bought on ebay to arrive so I can cover the engine, batteries, etc. Hopefully they'll turn up soon.

I'll go to Uxbridge boat centre to get some extra hose to connect it all up on Saturday, so it should be up an running by Saturday afternoon and I'll take it out on Sunday and see if it actually works!

Mike

Edit: Does anyone know what the big reinforced coolant hose that's used to connect skin tanks is called? I think it's 1 & 1/4" or perhaps 1 & 1/2" ID, so it seems too big to call it car heater hose. I'm just wondering if an auto parts place in Staines would have it which would save me a motorbike ride to Uxbridge as well as carrying a few metres of the stuff back on the bike, wrapped around my body.

Edited by blackrose

I think I'm taking it down to the yard in Staines on Friday. Just waiting for some cheap welding blankets that I bought on ebay to arrive so I can cover the engine, batteries, etc. Hopefully they'll turn up soon.

I'll go to Uxbridge boat centre to get some extra hose to connect it all up on Saturday, so it should be up an running by Saturday afternoon and I'll take it out on Sunday and see if it actually works!

Mike

Edit: Does anyone know what the big reinforced coolant hose that's used to connect skin tanks is called? I think it's 1 & 1/4" or perhaps 1 & 1/2" ID, so it seems too big to call it car heater hose. I'm just wondering if an auto parts place in Staines would have it which would save me a motorbike ride to Uxbridge as well as carrying a few metres of the stuff back on the bike, wrapped around my body.

Give Chris Bennet a shout mike.

Mike

Find your nearest auto factors (not high st shop), bound to be one where you are, chat to them, will often have it by metre length in different diameters, and in different materials (armoured, silicone etc). When I lived that way used to use Camberly Auto factors, which have several branches (or did have its been some time)

Find your nearest auto factors (not high st shop), bound to be one where you are, chat to them, will often have it by metre length in different diameters, and in different materials (armoured, silicone etc). When I lived that way used to use Camberly Auto factors, which have several branches (or did have its been some time)

Thanks, I'll ring Camberley Auto Factors now.

Car heater hose is usually no more than 5/8'' ID.

Midland chandlers sell 1" bore 'heater hose', I know that because I bought some the other day. I don't know whether they have it in bigger sizes but they probably have something to do the job.

Tim

Midland chandlers sell 1" bore 'heater hose', I know that because I bought some the other day. I don't know whether they have it in bigger sizes but they probably have something to do the job.

Tim

Yes, and i think Mike's getting a bit impatient now, its been a long process!, he seems determined to go and get it on his motorbike. There are loads of flexible tube manufacturers about really making stuff in many different materials for alsorts of applications, just a matter of finding their agents.

My new skin tank was welded in today.

It cost me £70 for the tank and £60 for him to mig weld it in, which took him about two and a half hours. That just leaves me to pressure test it and plumb it in. The vertical bars were my idea because it's only 3mm wall thickness.

I hope I'm not speaking too soon but it seems to me that the naysayers were wrong. A prefabricated tank can be welded in, with the boat in the water.

P1000820.jpg

Edited by blackrose

All I know is that it was a LOT cheaper than having it done in a boatyard.

I had two previous quotes ranging from 480 - 500 quid + drydocking!

No wonder some "experts" were telling me that what I was suggesting couldn't be done. :glare:

Edited by blackrose

• 2 weeks later...

I took the boat up and down the river for about an hour and a half today and pushed it hard. The engine temperature stayed at 85 C most of the time apart from when I gave it maximum revs for half an hour against the current and it went up to about 88 C.

The bottom half of the new skin tank was still quite cool when I checked it immediately afterwards, so I guess it's doing its job. I don't quite understand why the temperature is still reaching 88 C given that the new tank is cool at the bottom? Perhaps it has something to do with the boat being over-propped, but at least it's better than 98 C which it would have gone to before!

Anyway, my overheating issue seems to be on a couple of different threads, but the problem has been solved, so thanks to everyone for their advice and suggestions.

Mike

Edited by blackrose

That's very good news Mike, now you can push her if you have to, without having to worry about your overheating problems anymore, this has been money well spent.

Peter.

Yes indeed. The boat is a tad underpowered at 57 x 12ft with a 55hp Isuzu, so I needed to be able to use the available power.

Do you know where the engine temperature is usually measured by the gauge? I assume it's the oil temperature?

Thats great news Mike. The fabrication looks tidy and those prices are very good.

Thanks Les, how are things with you?

Edited by blackrose

Yes indeed. The boat is a tad underpowered at 57 x 12ft with a 55hp Isuzu, so I needed to be able to use the available power.

Do you know where the engine temperature is usually measured by the gauge? I assume it's the oil temperature?

When I fitted an oil-temp gauge with dipstick sender (messuring the sump-oil temp) in one of my cars a good 40 years ago, I got a bit scared as the temp indicated easily went way past the 100°C as far as 120-130°C even.

This worried me enough at the time to ask the Castrol supplier if there was a danger losing lubrication capacity at temps like that, and I was told not to worry, and that is good if oil gets over 100°C so water (condensation) in the oil will evaporate, and so keep the oil in better condition.

Modern day oils like the fully synthetic oils I'm using nowadays, are allowed to get even hotter.

Peter.