Freeview going to be affected by 4G

timetraveller

Featured Posts

Took notice of a report Freeview Report

Which broadly illustrates the impact that the introduction of 4G services will have on Freeview signal reception - reading through it you can see between the lines that nothing has been considered for all the users that rely on getting a freeview signal as they travel about ie boaters. Looks like Freesat is the way to go after all.

Just wanted to bring the topic to the attention of everyone.

Thanks "timetraveller", I'd heard about this, but your link is the 1st proper article on the subject I've seen. Well found.

I more or less gave up on the 'ol ariel system when I bought a Maplin portable satellite system which works very well - provided you have decent line of sight & a compass!

Hmm, Now do I go to the expense of getting a dish so that I can watch even more rubbish than I watch now, or do I take the hint, ditch the TV, save on power and get a life? Oh well, off to Maplins for me then!

Can't understand why there is all this fuss over 4G, when you can't even get a 3G signal in many areas, (and not even a 2G in some!)

Why weren't the operators made to share masts when the 3G contracts were handed out?

I recently bought a full HD satellite system from aldi at the time they were 59.99 .... for anyone thinking of getting one now, the B+Q warehouse have the same ones oon a special at 40 quid ... the system is exellent , comes in a blow moulded case so easy to store and is complete with all cabling, sat finder, dish, decoder and remote.

Rick

Took notice of a report Freeview Report

Which broadly illustrates the impact that the introduction of 4G services will have on Freeview signal reception - reading through it you can see between the lines that nothing has been considered for all the users that rely on getting a freeview signal as they travel about ie boaters. Looks like Freesat is the way to go after

Just wanted to bring the topic to the attention of everyone.

Am I right in thinking there's talk of 4G using the old analogue TV frequency and govt is proposing all terrestrial TV then goes onto broadband? Or did I dream it?

Double post edit

Edited by nb Innisfree

I recently bought a full HD satellite system from aldi at the time they were 59.99 .... for anyone thinking of getting one now, the B+Q warehouse have the same ones oon a special at 40 quid ... the system is exellent , comes in a blow moulded case so easy to store and is complete with all cabling, sat finder, dish, decoder and remote.

Rick

Wifes just bought this one from b/q as a bargain! but when she brought it back the dish was the size that you put on the side of a house 80 cm?

so shes now taking it back now looking for a freeview satalite with a smaller dish.

many thanks for the heads up, as im now in a frame mind that free sats the way to go!!

thanks

col

not sure about the facts on this, hence the question! what are the free view boxes that have recently been supplied to all the elderly? will they suddenly stop working?

Me too - it also refers to users of communal systems and signal amplifiers so not sure why it would impact on boaters too badly - we don't use either on our boat - I wonder how many use amplifiers.

Rick

Would someone like to point me to link, I cannot find any Freesat kits on th B&Q site, except for a dish instalation kit.

Me too - it also refers to users of communal systems and signal amplifiers so not sure why it would impact on boaters too badly - we don't use either on our boat - I wonder how many use amplifiers.

thanks that what i feared as a lot of elderly live in blocks with communal aerials! mother in law can just about work her box after several weeks!

It's not about the boxes being supplied to the elderly rather it's all about the quality of the Freeview signal being impacted by the presence of the 4G signal, which will overun on the same frequency as Freeview. This means that some people who previously received Freeview without difficuly MAY find that when the 4G system is made active that the quality of signal that they would normally recieve will be so degraded as to make Freeview reception impossible.

Hence, (according to the report) there will be a 'company' setup by the government who can be called upon to supply 'filters' to attempt to aid the reception of Freeview, else provide guidance towards an alternative solution (ie Freesat), to people who are experiencing trouble and can no longer get Freeview.

For boats out in the wild, and 'in the cut' - my concern would be that a degraded signal caused by the presence of a 4G signal around the country MAY make finding a Freeview signal of good quality to lock onto, difficult or impossible. The government are obviously aware of the impending problem and my post was just to make all us boaters aware also.

Took notice of a report Freeview ReportWhich broadly illustrates the impact that the introduction of 4G services will have on Freeview signal reception - reading through it you can see between the lines that nothing has been considered for all the users that rely on getting a freeview signal as they travel about ie boaters. Looks like Freesat is the way to go after all.Just wanted to bring the topic to the attention of everyone.

I read the article too - should be 'might have'.

Judging by the fact that the Freeview TV on board works better without the aerial signal booster than with it, I'll not be panicking just yet.

Betchley Milton keynes has 4 in stock

was 3 but now 4 as we took it back as its a big dish.

David is right when i read the post saying that B&q are selling complete system for £40, I done a search to reserve on line. only thing come up was the fitting kit.

wife went down to store and there were 4 complete kits, dish,reciever, remote destructions the whole lot, which is why my wife bought, but as said dish was too big

col

Betchley Milton keynes has 4 in stock

was 3 but now 4 as we took it back as its a big dish.

David is right when i read the post saying that B&q are selling complete system for £40, I done a search to reserve on line. only thing come up was the fitting kit.

But wife had gone down to store and there were 4 complete kits, dish,reciever, remote destructions the whole lot, which is why my wife bought, but as said dish was too big

col

many thanks wild in the wind!!!

just read your post, rang my daughter as she was going to aldi, and shes bought one for me but it was £49

but hey ho many thanks got one!!!

the forum works well

Col