Weed Hatch

mad-runner

Featured Posts

My widebeam was built by Fox narrowboats and there is what looks like a weed hatch in the engine bay. However, it has been welded/bolted down so it is impossible to access it from inside the boat. Just wondering if anyone else had come across this?

My widebeam was built by Fox narrowboats and there is what looks like a weed hatch in the engine bay. However, it has been welded/bolted down so it is impossible to access it from inside the boat. Just wondering if anyone else had come across this?

Not much point in it being there then laugh.gif

Does sound strange, have you a photo of this???

If its bolted you should see something resembling bolt heads sticking up somewhere. I am guessing it is pretty rusty and hard to see etc ?

I had a Springer with a weed hatch that was bolted on once. Was a bit of a pain to get off but then I cant remember ever needing to. It would be unusual for someone to weld a weed hatch on as luctor et emergo says.

Is it on the uxter plate above the prop? If not, it might be a mudbox for raw water cooling.

Unlikely to be a mudbox as Foxes boats are built as standard with keel cooling. The weed

hatch does have a number of bolts on it. The bolts do need to be tight otherwise water

will pour in when you engage gear..

Firesprite

Unlikely to be a mudbox as Foxes boats are built as standard with keel cooling. The weed

hatch does have a number of bolts on it. The bolts do need to be tight otherwise water

will pour in when you engage gear..

Firesprite

Hmm, they fitted us a keel cooling tank, and it's impossible to overheat the engine!

I was thinking that, as a 10' widebeam, it might have been originally fitted with an engine that was large enough to need raw water cooling, but I suppose it's safe to assume it's a weedhatch, if they're built with bolts as standard.

What makes you think the lid has been bolted or welded down? Can you actually see boltheads or weld runs?

Does it have a clamp holding the lid down?

Chances are (with the clamp removed), the lid is heavier than you think and stuck down with the neoprene seal and perhaps a bit of a vacuum below. Remember there's a baffle underneath as well. Give the handle a good pull and it should come up - just don't drop it on your foot!

Talked to R, the boats previous owner.

It's a weedhatch. The bolts are "a nightmare".

:smiley_offtopic:One screw clamp on my weed hatch. My nightmare was removing a full heavy duty tarpaulin off my prop. I was only going to fill up with water :unsure:

Good luck with the bolts. Remember, lots of grease :cheers:

Ok....so it's definitely a weed hatch. What do I do with it? Have never opened it in just over a year of boat ownership....

Open it up and have a good delve....you never know, there might be a stash of goodies hidden down there...or just an old soggey leather handbag.

Guest wanted

Don't go down it with the engine running!

It would be well worth sorting the bolts out and greasing them up. You may well need quick access should you get a blade full.

Ok....so it's definitely a weed hatch. What do I do with it? Have never opened it in just over a year of boat ownership....

Well you have been lucky to avoid having to use it, but that depends on how much rubbish your waterway has in it. If it was me, I would undo bolts and open up, just to have a 'look see'. But bear in mind the hatch cover may well have stuck, and will need freeing up. I would also possibly have the bolts modified to allow removal without a spanner. At the very least I would certainly grease the threads (graphite grease is my favourite for this kind of job).

Replace the bolts with stainless steel ones and loosen and re tighten periodically. if you find the rudder juddering or you drastically loose speed, then all sorts of nasties may have wrapped round your propeller, from plastic bags to wire fences, car tyres are a pain and a spring mattress can take a while to remove. One of the favourite ways hirers sink boats is to open the weed hatch and then forget to close it tightly, set off and the prop throws water into the engine room. One sunk in the middle of Foulridge tunnel.

Well worth a look down the weed hatch, as then you'll know what's there when you have to go down it. I happen to have had my weed hatch off last weekend - all sorts of bits and pieces attached to the prop including fishing tackle, shredded cagoule, and other nameless sharps. You might also have a feel around the prop blades: there are all sorts of interesting profiles to my blade edges!