I'm such a dirty, dirty girl...

Featured Posts

Well, it sounds much more alluring than "I have lived aboard for eight months and do not have a shower on board."

But that is the case as it stands... Contrary to popular belief about 'pikey boaters' I do infact shower every day, but the ten minute walk each way to the marina shower frankly started to do my head in after about a week, and eight months is about the limit of what I can stand.

Anyway, after many many months of planning and sorting out funding, my shower is finally getting done next week, beginning on Monday and estimated to take about a week. It's going to be a fairly big job as it will involve tearing out two cupboards, building a complete new shower room, ripping out the bedroom, taking out the old water tank, putting in a new water tank, rebuilding the bedroom and a new bed, and making some storage space, as well as the actual shower fitting stuff itself in a spot where there has never been one.

My Dream Team hotshot showerpeeps are...

Mike the Boilerman. Plumber and gas engineer extraordinaire, and my general hero. In charge of designing the plans, collecting the stuff, directing operations, doing some of the work, providing alternative acocmodation, and generally keeping me from having a coronary embolism at having my boat in pieces with new holes drilled in the hull.

Matty 40's of Old Friends Canal Services. Newly self employed general multi skilled boatist and all round fixy bod, all arranged, confirmed and hired to start work on the 6th August. In charge of doing the main bulk of the work, and making it all look pretty again afterwards, all within a week or so.

RWLP of Primrose Engineering. Another top forumite and recent boat engineering start up, Richard has been working on Reginald's vintage engine to sort out various things. After recent alterations to Reginald's temperamental engine (see other thread!) threw up some unforseen problems last week including the boat stalling every few minutes, Richard is working this week to get Reg all ready to go for bringing from Calcutt to Braunston at the weekend ready for me to live on for the duration.

Reginald of Stewart's and Lloyds Tubeworks. Reginald will be accomodating me and the cats for the duration of Springy's open cabin surgery, and also carrying a load of tools, fittings and equipment up to Springy at the start. Possibly the first boat ever to be involved in the fitting of a shower to another boat. :D

So I have sorted out lightening my workload for the first couple of days, MB has arranged his free time, The mooring is all booked for Reg, RWLP and Matty are on the case, and we're all ready to start on Monday the 6th.

MB will probably be along soon to explain all of the technical stuff, but here's the important points to note...

1. My shower curtan has stars on it.

2. The wall panels are glittery. :D

3. I am having a pole dancing shower. I am led to beleive that this is not a technical term, but for me is the easiest way to explain that I am having a shower head on a hose that clips onto a vertical pole so that you can adjust the height and slide it up and down, rather than a head fixed to the wall or ceiling.

That's all for now. Roll on Monday! (And on the other hand, make it never come, cos I am shitting it...)

Edited by Starcoaster
  • Greenie 3

Monday. 6th. August.

It's ON like Donkey Kong!

Well thank goodness thats all confirmed, your water tank has been filling up the back of my van for DAYS and I'm welltired of it being in there!!

;)

Mike

Good luck with keeping that lot in order, Star! Watch the alcohol consumtion or you may end up with a bath! Don't worry too much about the mess they make, it always tends to look worse before it looks better, keep us informed and pics of course! :lol:

Reading your opening post, I feel that another contribution to CB magazine may be on the cards - The Shower Diaries or similar! In particular, the expression "All round fixy bod" is inspired, and should be used as a job description more often.

Hope it all fits in place, er, cleanly.

Reginald of Stewart's and Lloyds Tubeworks. Reginald will be accomodating me and the cats for the duration of Springy's open cabin surgery, and also carrying a load of tools, fittings and equipment up to Springy at the start. Possibly the first boat ever to be involved in the fitting of a shower to another boat.

I bet there are C&RT trading licences for that. . :unsure:

matty goes through toolkit again....

1 spanner (I reckon a number 13 should do)

one anti allergy tablet

one peg for nose

one junior hacksaw

crowbar

lots of plasters of all sizes

ear plugs (for when using power tools obviously!!)nothing to do with anyone else....

pillow (sshhhh)

quackers and brie

big piece of cardboard so a template of springy's angled hull can be made

lots of impressive sounding power tools (must read instructions before use)

umbrella

tea bags

marmite

one anti allergy tablet

one peg for nose

one junior hacksaw

crowbar

ear plugs (for when using power tools obviously!!)nothing to do with anyone else....

pillow (sshhhh)

quackers and brie

umbrella

tea bags

marmite

Where's the lump hammer and screwdriver in case there's any delicate carpentry involved?

one anti allergy tablet

one peg for nose

one junior hacksaw

crowbar

pillow (sshhhh)

quackers and brie

umbrella

tea bags

marmite

Marmite.....EUGH

Ok, the work begins today, but it won't show on Springy.

Today (Tuesday 31/7/12):

I am collecting the large shower tray package currently in everybody's way in the Braunston marina office, and delivering it along with the new 300 litre water tank and 17 shower wall panels (sparkly) to Reg.

RLWP is caressing Reg's Gleniffer to get it running sweetly after open governor surgery, and ready for the trip to Braunston on Saturday

Dunno what matty is doing.... inspecting his tools again I imagine :D

Mike

Ok, the work begins today, but it won't show on Springy.

Today (Tuesday 31/7/12):

I am collecting the large shower tray package currently in everybody's way in the Braunston marina office, and delivering it along with the new 300 litre water tank and 17 shower wall panels (sparkly) to Reg.

RLWP is caressing Reg's Gleniffer to get it running sweetly after open governor surgery, and ready for the trip to Braunston on Saturday

Dunno what matty is doing.... inspecting his tools again I imagine :D

Mike

I've heard that Matty likes stroking his tools (with an oily rag?) to prevent the onset of aerobic deterioration

Edited for spelllling

Edited by Grace & Favour