newbury to guildford

designerstuart

Featured Posts

hi all

just wondering if you have any tips, comments or whatever.

i'll be taking INTERMEZZO on its first trip for many years to its new home in guildford this weekend. i've never been on a moving narrowboat before! (except the rocking of course)

my girlfriend knows how to drive it, and our friendly mechanic is coming too. how long do you think it will take? points of interest along the way? the rapids thru reading look a bit wild to me!

thanks

stuart

The Tescos in Reading is dead convenient for a supply stop, and you will reach it PM on day 2, just as you get onto the river. Moor at Sonning after, its pretty and there's a lovely pub.

Should be a great trip with this weather.

I know a fair bit about the Wey. I would suggest having a good look at this document (Boater's guide to the River Wey). Also keep and eye on the River Wey conditions (OK now but with the weather we have enjoyed up to recently the Wey will go into flood on the river sections quite quickly at the moment). The boater's guide will give you a good overview of the navigation and any things to watch around locks.

The entrance to the Wey is not obvious (at first glance) - turn right immediately after Shepperton Lock and go across past the weir stream and you will see a notice welcoming you to the Wey.

You will need the special Wey windlass (you can purchase one from Thames Lock for £15:00). Thames Lock closed between 13:00 and 14:00 each day and closes around 18:00 (not open before 09:00) and it is a interesting lock with a holding pound below the lock. Moor up on the lock waiting area before the holding pound and walk up and see the lock keeper.

Edited by Leo No2

You'll be going downhill so you'll move smartly, you could probably do it on a two-for-one Thames pass; a week licence would be better as it's a great River to explore.

Now of course you'll sy you've got a Gold licence...

Other Shops:-

Waitrose and Sainsbury's at Marlow - a bit of a walk

Waitrose at Windsor,

Sainsbury's at St. Aines- on -Thames.

Nice moorings at Weybridge while you wait for Thames Lock to open

You MUST rope up in the locks fore and aft - don't argue about centre line - you can use it to check the boat.

Some locks are deep, so you'll need longer warps

BE NICE and polite to the lock keepers, say good morning (etc), and Thank You - That'll put you a cut above most other boaters.

Out of hours (9-7pm) locks are on public power - easy to operate, but DO READ the insrtructions on the pedestals, they are nbot terribly intuitive...

Lots of moorings.

If you're going to use the Thames a lot get a copy of Chris Cove-Smith's River Thames book

hi all

just wondering if you have any tips, comments or whatever.

i'll be taking INTERMEZZO on its first trip for many years to its new home in guildford this weekend. i've never been on a moving narrowboat before! (except the rocking of course)

my girlfriend knows how to drive it, and our friendly mechanic is coming too. how long do you think it will take? points of interest along the way? the rapids thru reading look a bit wild to me!

thanks

stuart

As no-one has answered your question, I'd say it will take about seven or eight days depending on how hard you go at it, or not.

You don't need to shoot the rapids on the Kennet in Reading town centre, look carefully and you'll see there is a lock alongside ;)

It's only about 12" drop but treat it with respect. The approaches to this lock are among the most treacherous I've encountered anywhere on the system, with some vicious eddies and cross-currents across the lock mouths, at both ends.

Have a good trip!

www.canalplan.org.uk

=======================================================

Total distance is 77 miles, 6¾ furlongs and 50 locks. There are at least 11 moveable bridges.

This is made up of 34 miles, 3¼ furlongs of small rivers; 43 miles, 3½ furlongs of large rivers; 33 broad locks; 17 large locks.

This will take 36 hours, 25 minutes which is 5 days, 1 hour and 25 minutes at 7 hours per day. For calculation purposes this is taken as 5 days.

Overnight stopping places

This is calculated based on 5 full days travelling starting at Newbury Parkway Bridge No 59.

Each full day will be approximately 7 hours and 17 minutes travelling.

First day of trip

On the River Kennet, at Winding Hole by Ufton Swing Bridge (two thirds of the way between Newbury Parkway Bridge No 59 and Burghfield Bridge No 14). This is 10 miles, 3¾ furlongs and 12 locks and will take 7 hours 17 minutes.

Second day of trip

On the River Thames (below Oxford), at Thames - Hennerton Backwater Entrance No 1 . This is 14 miles, ¼ furlongs and 11 locks and will take 7 hours 17 minutes.

Third day of trip

On the River Thames (below Oxford), at Bray Lock (half way between Boulter's Lock and Racecourse Yacht Basin Entrance). This is 19 miles, 4¾ furlongs and 7 locks and will take 7 hours 17 minutes.

Fourth day of trip

On the River Wey, at Five Ways Junction (a third of the way between Thames - Wey Junction and Town Lock No 15). This is 18 miles, 5½ furlongs and 8 locks and will take 7 hours 17 minutes.

Fifth day of trip

On the River Wey, at Guildford Town Bridge . This is 15 miles, ½ furlongs and 12 locks and will take 7 hours 17 minutes.

There is a vague rule for calculating speed - you can do either 4 miles or 4 locks in one hour, or any combination of the two - so long as it adds up to 4.

If you are industrious then you can easily outpace it, but some people struggle to make 3 lock/miles per hour!

There is a vague rule for calculating speed - you can do either 4 miles or 4 locks in one hour, or any combination of the two - so long as it adds up to 4.

If you are industrious then you can easily outpace it, but some people struggle to make 3 lock/miles per hour!

With Daftmare, I had a brilliant day doing the first day of the same trip with them last year.... We started at Thatcham station but made it to the Thames on day 1... I can't remember the number of hours, ( not outrageous by any means) but it was over too quickly...

Nick

Those big heavy locks on the lower Kennett take ages to empty and fill.

Also note that as far as I can see there are no working BW water points or Elsan disposals below Newbury. You may have to pay at Reading marine or wait till you get to Shiplake lock.

And the winner is........

Steilsteven with 24 hours

we actually managed it in 3 days. we were going pretty quickly, and as Keith mentions, we used a bike to set the locks up. we didn't have much time so this tactic was well worth it.

lovely trip though!

we did newbury to marlow in one day, from about 8am to 9pm. there was quite a faff at a few locks around aldermaston with a lot of hire boats p1ssing everyone off. and we passed a sweetie boat there but no purchases made as the owners were not the typical sweetshop patrons - well grumpy!

then marlow to pyrford the next day, from 10am to about 9pm. nice trip too. going uphill was quite a change and as OldGoat pointed out, we soon realised the importance of good lines at front and back.

then last night we set off at 6pm and were moored up at our new home at 9pm. so 27 hours or or so total, but we did cain it i admit.

thanks all!