Featured Posts

What's the best method for blacking

1) Pressure wash, appy blacking

2) Pressure wash, prep disc rust, appy blacking

3) Pressure wash, prep disc rust, apply vactan, appy blacking

4) Pressure wash, apply vactan, appy blacking

5) Sod it , let the boat yard do it.

Edited by Bloomsberry

Why would you need to wash before gritblasting?

The answer to the OP really depends on the state of the current blacking and what it is.

There are clear rust patches along the waterline & I believe most boatyards go for option 1. I would like to tackle it personally to make sure it is done properly and thoroughly.

Anyway, how bad can it get :wacko:

There are clear rust patches along the waterline & I believe most boatyards go for option 1. I would like to tackle it personally to make sure it is done properly and thoroughly.

:lol:

You may be about to find out

Richard

A lot of it comes down to how good the pressure washing is. The yard I've used has a 3 phase steam cleaner and that takes it back to bare metal. Anything that doesn't come off can stay! Then start blacking as soon as it is dry, and there is no need to grind and /or wire brush it.

Some yards have much lower pressure washers and these will need wire brushing afterwards.

Then three coats of good bitumen, e.g. Intertuf, brushed on.

It will still go round the waterline after 12 months; the only way to avoid that is 2-pack.

Slightly off Topic

I've just received 4 quotes for shot blasting our 60 f/t x 10 f/t 6" wide beam.

Quotes range from £300 + vat to £1000 + vat with 2 in the middle @ 5 to 6 hundred + vat

The £500 + quote is from a company that has seen the boat, the other 3 are from detailed info including photos and square footage of steel to be shot.

I've e-mailed back the guy with the £300 + quote as I think this is too cheap and have questioned he's understood the quote fully. Saying that has anyone had a boat shot blasted for this price though, maybe a 1 man operation could quote this cheap unsure.gif

Slightly off Topic

Quotes range from £300 + vat to £1000 + vat with 2 in the middle @ 5 to 6 hundred + vat

The £500 + quote is from a company that has seen the boat, the other 3 are from detailed info including photos and square footage of steel to be shot.

I've e-mailed back the guy with the £300 + quote as I think this is too cheap and have questioned he's understood the quote fully. Saying that has anyone had a boat shot blasted for this price though, maybe a 1 man operation could quote this cheap unsure.gif

It's very hard to believe that someone can make a decent living by doing an exhausting, hard and dirty job like that for £300, but I do hope for you he'll do it.

Peter.

You're right. Most boatyards just pressure wash & apply the blacking.

Use a wire whizzy wheel on an angle grinder to get rid of the rust but make sure you have eye protection. It's worth doing it yourself at least once so you know what it's all about.

Edited by blackrose

It's very hard to believe that someone can make a decent living by doing an exhausting, hard and dirty job like that for £300, but I do hope for you he'll do it.

Peter.

I did think it cheap so I've e-mailed for conformation and suggested he visit the boat and take a look. I thought the quote for £500 was pretty good, sill if he can do it for £300 I'de be nuts to turn it down.

My only comment would be..I wouldn't use Vactan where I will 'black'.

I have found that the blacking (Comastic in my case) is designed to grip onto prepared metal...and putting it over a 'skinning' compound like Vactan..it tends to pull off easily.

I found the same with red oxide...it didn't grip so well on that either..

Slightly off Topic

Is he doing it on his land or yours?

It will still go round the waterline after 12 months; the only way to avoid that is 2-pack.

We grit blasted followed by three coats of Comastic on Chertsey; no waterline rust rust after three years.

Ditto Warrior, although that got five coats because it was out for the summer anyway. Got it out again after three years, it hadn't been touched. Applied another three coats as we'd already bought the stuff. The new owners are getting it out again in a couple of weeks.... Well, I guess they need to see for themselves...

I have no experience of two pack, so it might be even better, although harder to DIY??. But if you are dealing with a previously neglected boat, I would recommend professional gritblasting followed by DIY Comastic (Coflex), plenty of coats and plenty of time to dry inbetween.

And yes, noting between the blacking and the bare steel. The main function of blacking is to stick like the proverbial.

He has to travel 15 miles to get to our boat which is on dry land.

So its your job to collect all the mess? I would not thought it would take a good blaster long to do a Narrowboat once he is all set up, but I would not see it as a one man job because he would need a hoper man to keep feeding him. Its only about 40 yard of flat steel.

Probably cheap because he hasn't got to clean up afterwards. When ours was done the mess was horrendous.

I did offer assistance to all that quoted, filling hopper moving equipment etc so maybe with no cleaning up and not requiring a labourer he's happy with that price. We'll see as I've e-mailed him to clarify he understands the work required.

Fortunately the cleaning up will be a breeze as we're on hard standing which is a mixture of hardcore & rough soil, so just raking it in to existing surface would suffice, even fill in the odd pothole laugh.gif

I did get rust along the waterline...until I changed marinas.

Somebody pointed out to me...that this could have been to do with oil and diesel spills...which strips comastic.

Thinking about it...they may have been right...as there was always a 'film' floating about...due to people 'bilge pumping' and self dieseling..

Well it seems the £300 + v.a.t quote from the shot blaster is correct, he fully understands it's the entire hull.

So I'm well happy with that. He's based in Swindon, so if he does a good job I'll give his details as they might prove useful to other boaters, especially when the next cheapest price was £500 + v.a.t from a shot blaster based less than half a mile away.

Just have to raise the boat a couple of feet now laugh.gif

I did get rust along the waterline...until I changed marinas.

Somebody pointed out to me...that this could have been to do with oil and diesel spills...which strips comastic.

Thinking about it...they may have been right...as there was always a 'film' floating about...due to people 'bilge pumping' and self dieseling..

PS...I forgot to add...that my blacking gets removed more quickly..on the side where my sinks discharge..probably caused by soaps..etc...

PS...I forgot to add...that my blacking gets removed more quickly..on the side where my sinks discharge..probably caused by soaps..etc...

I'm going for Jotun 2 pack, I'm very tempted to add an extra coat about a foot wide across the water line, maybe 2 if there enough paint to go round. So extra under skin fittings might help too.

That doesn't sound like Comastic to me, certainly very different from my experience in which it's impervious to pretty much everything once it's hardened. I could easily believe bitumen would be affected by diesel etc though.