Midge Deterant?

Canal Rat

Featured Posts

This recipe was given to me by another boater ,mix all 3 ingredients together into a spray bottle ,it is a bit sticky when first applied but quickly absorbed by the skin.

1 part citronella oil (i got mine from eBay )

1 part baby oil

1 part dettol antiseptic

On a trip to the Highlands a froemd had one of those hats with a drop down mosi net. Unfortunately the holes weren't small enoigh and she had her own personal colony of midges.

Edited by PiRSqwared

I have found the best insect repellent brand is jungle formula. They do a roll-on that last for ages and does not contain DEET, but is still very effective. I have used products that contain DEET in countries where malaria is present, because it is the most effective repellent, but over here would avoid using DEET as it can be nasty stuff.

We make our own fly repellant spray for our horses, it includes Skin So Soft, white vinegar, citronella oil, eucalyptus oil, lavender oil and tea tree oil, and a cap of Dettol all mixed up with a pint of cold tea (no milk or sugar!), and a drop of fairy liquid to emulsify the oils.

I dare say you could adapt this recipe and leave out the tea as it would stain clothing, and just use a drop or two of the essential oils in the Skin So Soft or just plain water/white vinegar...? We make up a big 2-litre bottle and decant it into a spray bottle. Stinks, but helps.

Thanx for all the interesting replies. I just found my electric fly swatter. Good for house flys but not sure if it will be any good for midge size flys. I like the lazer idea so I need to go and get some more leisure battries ..... :unsure:

Cheers all :cheers:

My other half has a severe reaction to insect bites and has found taking vitamin B12 reduces his reaction- you need to take it daily and a decent strength tablet.

One other thing which doesnt stop you being bitten but does reduce swelling and itchiness of bites is Tiger balm- a very strong menthol ointment- He's used it in Asia several times and it does reduce the swelling and itchiness

Agree, B12 tablets came recommended by a Chemist I knew down on the Broads. Even my mate who was an eel catcher and out first and last thing during the day used them. Prior to this he used to look like one big spot. The tablets cause your pores to exude an odour that though undetectable to humans is obnoxioue to biting insects.

Phil

Hmm... I take Berocca every day which has a squillion percent of your daily B vitamins. I still look like a half eaten corn on the cob once the midgies have gotten to me. <_<

I heard the same thing s about eating Marmite (again its high in B fits I suppose) and I eat tonnes f the stuff....

I think this is all a rouse to get me even more chomped by midgies, so that they bipass you lot and come for me instead! :judge:

I got MB one of those bug zapping tennis bats last week.

Currently only £3.99 in Aldi.

I got two! They're great. Burning mozzies smell a bit though. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I just googled lemon balm, check this out:

"Lemon Balm’s anti-histamine action is useful to treat eczema and headaches and accounts for the centuries old tradition of placing the fresh leaf on insect bites and wounds. A fomentation of Lemon Balm may also help reduce the swelling associated with gout."

That's me gout fixed then. Red wine back on the menu from tonight. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...