use of generators on canal boats

Babyjune

Featured Posts

Hello just wondered if anyone had experience of using a generator on thier boat, I am told that a whisper honda generator is very very quite. I like t the edea of a generator, but appreciate that it can be a pain for others, I would greatly appreciate your thoughts and experiences.

Hello just wondered if anyone had experience of using a generator on thier boat, I am told that a whisper honda generator is very very quite. I like t the edea of a generator, but appreciate that it can be a pain for others, I would greatly appreciate your thoughts and experiences.

Convert it to gas, and it seems even quieter. Then just a bit of common sense with regards other moorers and canal side residents

You can use a generator between 8am and 8pm and yes the Honda suitcases are very quiet.

Somebody will be along soon to tell you that she's been boating for 150 years and has never needed Satan's power source but many people find them very useful.

It all depends on your power requirements.

• Greenie 1

The Honda's are expensive when compared to others but if I was ever to buy one it would be the one to go for - reliable and very quiet. Don't forget if you get a noisy one that will annoy other folk it's likely to annoy you too.

To add to the points already made it does depend on your cruising pattern and type of mooring you have.

Also have the courtesy to keep them in/onboard so its you who suffers the most noise.

I do hate the people who stuff em in the hedge 10metres away so they cant hear em but dont check to see (rather hear) how far the sound is travelling.

Honda suitcases one are brilliant for noise levels (unsurpassed I think in portables) defo recommend :)

Also have the courtesy to keep them in/onboard so its you who suffers the most noise.

Honda suitcases one are brilliant for noise levels (unsurpassed I think in portables) defo recommend :)

On the contrary, I would never run a generator on board unless it was installed for that purpose.

I'd rather you annoyed me with your generator than killed yourself with it.

A suitcase generator should be run on the towpath.

• Greenie 1

On the contrary, I would never run a generator on board unless it was installed for that purpose.

I thought I was missing something in the spec. of these that bizarrely but somehow allowed for this so was checking the Honda web site before I posted, needless to say there isn't.

Why? ( I run mine on board) :-0

Obviously take precautions about where fumes may collect and where exhasut gases are going. :unsure:

Obviously take precautions about where fumes may collect and where exhasut gases are going. :unsure:

Easier and safer to leave it (secured) outside surely??

...by running on the towpath.

I can't help feeling the generator being run on a metal boat is making more annoying noise than the one on the towpath.

Marbles in a tin can?

Why? ( I run mine on board) :-0

As is your right.

I run mine inboard..............................Oh! wait a minute mine is 7Kw and a bit heavy to lift.

It is also quieter than the Honda. ;)

'Sounds' like you've got the same as me, Onan?

Last year we were moored behind a boat on the L & L who was running is generator just inside the back cabin. When he decided to top up the petrol, we decided to move!

Regards

Pete

I assume, also, that its exhaust fumes vents outside.

Yes...............I was being a little obtuse,

Pearley, it is indeed a Cummins Onan, hospital silenced and in its own cocoon.

We could not hear it, even in the boat, the other day because the boat across from us (100 ft) had his engine running.

How he stood the noise level in his boat I cannot imagine.

...by running on the towpath.

I can't help feeling the generator being run on a metal boat is making more annoying noise than the one on the towpath.

Marbles in a tin can?

As is your right.

Was not being sarcastic, I thought there was some sort of danger, other than exhaust. It's vented and on rubber mats

There are some issues with running a petrol generator onboard - the main one being carbon monnoxide. If you do run one onboard then really it should be refueled off the boat because petrol fumes are a real hazard. Onboard vibration depends on the particular generator and the how much loose material, deckboards, etc, are in the onboard vicinity. A decent generator should have rubber feet and any vibration might not be any worse than running one's engine. My Honda is certainly much quieter and transmits less vibration to the rest of the boat than my engine.

Lots of people these days find they are fine provided you shut all the doors and turn the volume on your telly up.

;)

We have the 2kva version of the Honda digital, same noise level, very quiet when doing an absorption charge on tickover and ok on towpath near boats (50') but though still relatively quiet on full output I wouldn't run it within a couple of hundred yards of anyone.

Get solar panels :)

We've only ever used the gennie in isolated spots to run power tools. Until we got the solar panels we did have to run the boat's engine for 3-4 hours per day but only have to run it for the calorifier nowadays.

Even with the crap summer we're having!

Thank you to everyone, for the helpfully advice, I am new to boating and really appreciate the forum, only just beginng to realise how complicated having a boat can be. Not that I am complaining brought the boat after being on the river stort for a couple of hours on a friends boat am am still really excited. Can't get my boat back to the stort where I want to keep it because of the Olympics, so still very much in the planning stages, hence the question.

One of the biggest disapointments is travelling to a nice popular mooring out in the sticks, then come 6pm a cachophony ( no idea how to spell that) of generators, engines, and rocket fueled boilers starts up, ruining the peace and quiet you came all that way for, most of the time the owners are just watching telly. Sometimes they put the generator nearer your boat than theirs so they can't hear it !

It's a bit anti social isn't it ?

• Greenie 2

One of the biggest disapointments is travelling to a nice popular mooring out in the sticks, then come 6pm a cachophony ( no idea how to spell that) of generators, engines, and rocket fueled boilers starts up, ruining the peace and quiet you came all that way for, most of the time the owners are just watching telly. Sometimes they put the generator nearer your boat than theirs so they can't hear it !

It's a bit anti social isn't it ?

One of the reasons was asking about whisper generators I would not want to disturb anyone with its use, but would like the option should it be needed.