use of generators on canal boats

Babyjune

Featured Posts

Although we're not quite on the water yet your experience of solar use and generator is exactly in line with my thinking and the way We're setting up our power requirements. With the use of solar even on very dull days, with a common sense approach there should never bee a need to run a generator in the evening or post 8pm. I have worked out that even on bad overcast days the time to run the generator if so required would be somewhere between 12 noon and 4pm, this of course based on our projected requirements. Having said that by lunch time a boater should know based on your average power requirements how much energy you'll require to last the rest of the day. So to me it makes sense to charge batteries earlier rather than later especially if the SOC is low. You then charge enough to last comfortably until the following morning, and then reassess your power usage requirement for the remainder of the day.

When we were on the water last, I found it difficult to understand why boaters, even those that don't have solar panels, seem to run engines or generators late evening.and even into the late hours which used to annoy us no end. Even if someone doesn't get home from work until 6 pm, they still have 2 hours of charging opportunity so not to run engines after 8 pm. Even more annoying when paying for a BW winter mooring in Bath for 6 months, the boater in front of us would be with his boat all day out and about scavenging for wood and back to the boat and spend hours chopping it up. Almost every evening though after 8pm the engine would be fired up ran in gear for several hours. Why he didn't do this in the day time whilst chopping wood was a complete mystery and made no sense a all.

We have 500 watt's of solar ready to put on the roof at launch and I'm currently rigging up a small inboard diesel generator for back up power, running a full size boat engine for energy on a boat is utter madness, and even worse when done late evenings and in gear.

Those who do, STOP IT NOW!

wink.gif

Not argueng with your point but I do resent people who are not on a boat telling me what I should do, especially shouting in caps.

Thank you.

How's the front of ours compare

OnTheRiver006.jpg

smile.gif

The front of yer boat has a happy face like Thomas the Tank engine.Glad it's not one of them replica barge things that are only taken down the canal now and again cos its banging on the bottom.

Going back to the original question, I keep a generator for emergencies only so I didn't want to spend loads on something I hardly ever use so I bought a Clarke 1000 watt inverter charger which is nearly as quiet as the honda suitcase at a third of the price from Machine Mart (or at least it was when I bought it a couple of years ago.

ps I am with those who can see no reason for generating power after 8pm!

Edited by Mandy

• 3 years later...

I recently bought a Krafttech2000w generator. Described as silent, it's anything but. It's also hopeless and was pushing out over 20v more than the recommended safety level causing damage to some of the electrical items on my boat. Worse still, the customer service at the company is terrible. To be fair, they did eventually offer a refund but not including return postage which, on a generator is pretty expensive. Amazon, I notice have pulled this model and you only need read the reviews to see why. Top of the range Honda's are pricey but very good. Cheaper and recommended by others are the Wolfe and Hyundai range. I also have a Clarke which is a bit noisier but does the job. It's difficult siting them on board. Not just because of the emissions but also because the natural acoustic of a steel-shelled boat amplifies the sound and vibration. I use mine when I'm moored away from others - and I occasionally moor in a solitary spot for a few hours just to use the generator - or surrounded by empty boats. As with anything, you've just got to mindful of others.

Oh, and just an afterthought. If you do buy a bargain one on eBay, it's worth taking it along to the nearest tool supplies people and get it checked out and serviced. If you pick up a medium range generator - a Clarke or a Wolfe - for around a £100, factor in another £50 to get it set up right. It's still a bargain. It will improve your generator function and make it last longer. It will also prevent damage on your boat.