Nice mooring going at Woodlesford

Featured Posts

https://www.bwmooringvacancies.com/vacancy/vacancy_details.php?id=4010

Not for us as it doesn't offer any degree of security what so ever - but it's a nice spot and Woodlesford itself has all the amenities you could need. Also if it goes for it's guide price it's not much less than we pay in a serviced marina.

I'm guessing this is Tim's (Mrsmelly) old mooring which has finally come up after being free for ages now.

It looks pleasant enough for a towpath-side mooring, near a lock too. I see that the village boats a railway station which not only has frequent trains to Leeds and Sheffield but also, during the summer and autumn, has steam trains too. Hmmm, perhaps I'll apply for it....

It looks pleasant enough for a towpath-side mooring, near a lock too. I see that the village boats a railway station which not only has frequent trains to Leeds and Sheffield but also, during the summer and autumn, has steam trains too. Hmmm, perhaps I'll apply for it....

The lock area is immaculately kept and in the summer planted with a good display of flowers

SAM_0258.jpg

and yes just a 10 minute walk to the station, a bit further to an excellent butchers and a co-op, pub, chinese x 2, chippy, (an excellent one). A bit further to another pub and a Lidl.

If it was a bit more secure like the one we went for recently at Pollington I would go for it like a shot.

ed to add pic - (not mine)

Edited by The Dog House

Could I get Chertsey there if I went via Trent Falls (and will mykaskin come with me, please, if so).

Very unlikely but am looking at another job in Sheffield...

Trent Falls to Woodlesford would not be an issue. Big long wide locks all the way. The big commercial tanker boats come up from Goole as far as the refinery at Fleet Lane. Woodlesford is just another mile or so further on from there.

We can comfortably wind our 60 foot boat in the canal at Woodlesford - and I think you would be able to wind Chertsey there or certainly further on before you actually hit Leeds lock beyond which Chertsey would not be able to go.

Trent Falls to Woodlesford would not be an issue. Big long wide locks all the way. The big commercial tanker boats come up from Goole as far as the refinery at Fleet Lane. Woodlesford is just another mile or so further on from there.

We can comfortably wind our 60 foot boat in the canal at Woodlesford - and I think you would be able to wind Chertsey there or certainly further on before you actually hit Leeds lock beyond which Chertsey would not be able to go.

[/quote)

Further to Martins observations the mooring is superb and I know of no one having any problems with security. the canal is narrowed to about 80 feet there so easy to turn ( no need for winding holes ). I think you boat is over 70 feet ? so Trent falls it is, but if not over 70 feet just go in at Keadby and through Thorne lock like I did. I am in a poxy marina for the moment :angry: needs must but the mooring at Woodlesford was spot on.

Tim

The lock area is immaculately kept and in the summer planted with a good display of flowers

and yes just a 10 minute walk to the station, a bit further to an excellent butchers and a co-op, pub, chinese x 2, chippy, (an excellent one). A bit further to another pub and a Lidl.

If it was a bit more secure like the one we went for recently at Pollington I would go for it like a shot.

Agree with most of this but purely for the sake of balance.

You are at the mercy of river levels there, there is no sanitary station on the cut so the you need to get to Leeds or Castleford which are quite often inaccessible. [there might be an Elsan at Lemonroyd marina but you'd need to pay to use it]. The pubs in town are a bit ropey especially if you're after real ale and one of the pubs featured in Nicholson's near the lock has disappeared. The other one "the two pointers" is your best bet.

The only public loos in town are always locked, and there is no decent cafe around. I soon got fed up with having to go up the steep hill into town all the time

The nearby station is a real plus and if the mooring is on the western bank then you'll be able to drive a car right up to the boat. A friendly Lockkeeper is often around and is a good source of info regarding river levels, and had no worries about leaving my boat unattended there for a few days.

Agree with most of this but purely for the sake of balance.

You are at the mercy of river levels there, there is no sanitary station on the cut so the you need to get to Leeds or Castleford which are quite often inaccessible. [there might be an Elsan at Lemonroyd marina but you'd need to pay to use it]. The pubs in town are a bit ropey especially if you're after real ale and one of the pubs featured in Nicholson's near the lock has disappeared. The other one "the two pointers" is your best bet.

The only public loos in town are always locked, and there is no decent cafe around. I soon got fed up with having to go up the steep hill into town all the time

The nearby station is a real plus and if the mooring is on the western bank then you'll be able to drive a car right up to the boat. A friendly Lockkeeper is often around and is a good source of info regarding river levels, and had no worries about leaving my boat unattended there for a few days.

Since when have Lemonroyd levied a charge for use of the Elsan? - we moor at Lemonroyd and the Elsan there is freely accessible to all boaters from the tow-path side.

The LTMs up for auction at Woodlesford are accessible by car, the moorings on the other side are not LTM's as far as I know.

The road into town is far from steep, more a gentle incline. I would say this would only be a problem if you had significant health problems.

Since when have Lemonroyd levied a charge for use of the Elsan? - we moor at Lemonroyd and the Elsan there is freely accessible to all boaters from the tow-path side.

The LTMs up for auction at Woodlesford are accessible by car, the moorings on the other side are not LTM's as far as I know.

The road into town is far from steep, more a gentle incline. I would say this would only be a problem if you had significant health problems.

Yes Martin you are of course 100 percent correct with your response to said post :cheers:

Tim