Can anyone recommend an insurance company please?

Zayna

Featured Posts

As it says in the title, does anyone have any recommendations please, for insurance for our nb.

I've been searching for threads but I'm a bit pushed for time today, sorry.

I have a form for Collidge & Partners, but wondered if anyone had any better ideas.

Thanks very much.

You may not be able to do "better" than Collidge, who have insured our boats for ten years or more. I think they place our insurance with a company called Navigators & General, for whom they are brokers.

Worth having a look at GJW Direct from Liverpool, with whom I have had recent dealings. Their customer communications are on the terse side, but they paid up on a recent claim which I made.

These two I know from personal experience; others, as they say, are available.

Just renewed mine with Towergate Mardon did some research when we got our boat but been lazy in the last few years and not researched.

Cost this year was £22 less than last. :rolleyes:

As with all insurance though you only find out how good it is when you claim.:(

Depends what you want. For an older/cheaper boat, fully comp might not be economic. I use Basic Boat Liability Insurance - third party and salvage cover to meet licencing requirements, £69 a year for my full length boat.

I see IWA are now doing Boat Insurance (with Navigators and General) ...the policy has membership of RCR as part of it (I'm assuming basic level of cover?). Don't know details yet - am waiting for a call just out of interest. But worth exploring perhaps. Anyone had a quote to compare yet?

An insurance company is only truly as good as it's willingness to pay up at claim time. A recommendation based on ease of arranging cover or premium cost is only limited in value. Based on these two criteria I can recommend Craftinsure too.

However I am lucky enough never to have had to submit a claim and that bit would be vital to me before I would feel confident recommending any company fully to anyone.

Thanks all. I'm waiting for a quote from Collidge & Partners, and I've obtained an instant quote from Craftinsure.

I wasn't sure what value to put on 'personal effects', so I put £3,000. Is that a bit much?

No. Just think how quickly the cost of replacing clothes at new value, for example, mounts up: couple of coats, £100, half a dozen shirts, £100.... We discovered this when we had a fire in our house last year, the things which we had dismissed as odds and sods (clothing, luggage, stationery, kitchen utensils and the like), came to several thousand pounds.

Come to think of it, that did include some of Mrs. Athy's shoes which may have distorted the picture a little.

Thanks all. I'm waiting for a quote from Collidge & Partners, and I've obtained an instant quote from Craftinsure.

I wasn't sure what value to put on 'personal effects', so I put £3,000. Is that a bit much?

we have used Euromarine for the last 20 years and are very good at paying out on claims as we found out when our boat was broken into a few years back, £3,000 is ok we have ours at £5,000 i would give them a ring, well worth it.

I'd like to add something to the mix.

I had to claim, following a break in. The Cratch cover was torn beyond economical repair, I, as many others, probably, didn't read the policy thoroughly and didn't spot that I only got 1/3rd of the replacement cost as it was over, I think, three years old. Not the fault of Craftinsure but mine.

It all turned out well in the end. Probably like all claims, especially after some berk wanting to damage your property, insurance companies go on the defensive. I have heard other reports about Craftinsure that have been very positive.

I am still with them, if that says anything.

I also lost some of my NCD at renewal time. I didn't realise I had any to loose.

Read the policy of any company.

Martyn

No. Just think how quickly the cost of replacing clothes at new value, for example, mounts up: couple of coats, £100, half a dozen shirts, £100.... We discovered this when we had a fire in our house last year, the things which we had dismissed as odds and sods (clothing, luggage, stationery, kitchen utensils and the like), came to several thousand pounds.

Come to think of it, that did include some of Mrs. Athy's shoes which may have distorted the picture a little.

Thanks. My house contents insurance is far more than that, but on the nb I'm not planning on having tons of stuff, just in case it does get broken into. I'd said 5k but my chap said 3k was plenty. We're not living aboard but I still think I'll go with 5k before I sign anything.

Craftinsure then? They seem to be getting most votes...

Do you go for third party or fully comprehensive cover in the boating world, it is a question I have asked previously, but no-one seem's to answer. The reason I ask is I have recently recieved some quote's from insurance company's who have mentioned these two type's of cover.

I think the word 'fully' has been dropped by the insurance industry because it implies it fully covers every eventuality, when of course a comprehensive policy does nothing of the sort.

Do you go for third party or fully comprehensive cover in the boating world, it is a question I have asked previously, but no-one seem's to answer. The reason I ask is I have recently recieved some quote's from insurance company's who have mentioned these two type's of cover.

I've answered it every time someone asks about insurance - third party for me every time (+ salvage, which BW also require). That covers the most expensive eventualities - I'm happy to bear the risk of paying for repairs to my own boat if I damage it - especially as insurance companies are notorious for wriggling out of paying, imposing big excesses etc.

I've answered it every time someone asks about insurance - third party for me every time (+ salvage, which BW also require). That covers the most expensive eventualities - I'm happy to bear the risk of paying for repairs to my own boat if I damage it - especially as insurance companies are notorious for wriggling out of paying, imposing big excesses etc.

I can see the logic of this, but subjective frequency of boat fires alone makes me lean towards comprehensive.

The difference in cost between 3P and comp is not that great, and the absolute difference is a hundred pounds or so. I suppose that tells us that boat fires are not as common as they seem.

MP.

An insurance company is only truly as good as it's willingness to pay up at claim time. A recommendation based on ease of arranging cover or premium cost is only limited in value. Based on these two criteria I can recommend Craftinsure too.

However I am lucky enough never to have had to submit a claim and that bit would be vital to me before I would feel confident recommending any company fully to anyone.

I would never ever use Craftinsure again, they were an absolute nightmare when we had to claim.

I would ay to anyone that is getting any insurance-READ THE POLICY THROUGH < THEN READ IT AGAIN, then get someone else to read it. Then if you are happy with all the wordings etc. buy it.

Edited by Madmark62

I would never ever use Craftinsure again, they were an absolute nightmare when we had to claim.

I would ay to anyone that is getting any insurance-READ THE POLICY THROUGH < THEN READ IT AGAIN, then get someone else to read it. Then if you are happy with all the wordings etc. buy it.

You have a PM