Can anyone recommend an insurance company please?

Zayna

Featured Posts

I haven't really researched boat insurance for 2 years so I may be bit out of date.

However, when I did what other members have suggested, and read the policies on offer carefully, I was surprised how much they varied. Not just nuances.

Not everybody covers you for singlehanding, for instance. (Or, at least, not for more than a rather limited time/distance). Having an elderly mother-in-law living on her own, I could imagine circumstances arising where my wife headed home pronto by public transport and I proceeded slowly back to the marina on my own.

Each of us will have our own particular requirements, boat value, etc. and I would not presume to suggest that what is right for me will also be right for somebody else. Hence the need to check the wording carefully.

FWIW we went with Euromarine, not because they were cheapest but because they covered everything I thought I wanted. Admin is/was very efficient but I haven't made a claim.

Bob.

I priced up this year and Collidge beat Haven Knox and Craftinsure. I've made two claims now and the only problem I had was with the lady at Zurich (aka N&G who Collidge broker)) going on holiday before issuing my cheque.

Edited by Smelly

We have gone with GJW, we are new to boating, have a 1988 48ft trad and for a year with myself and wife fully comp £105.00 :D I was very supprised and happy with that!

That is impressively reasonable.

The other issue for me of course is that the boat being old, most insurers will want a survey every five years for comp. More money that I can put into the sinking fund instead.

I insure directly with Nav and Gen in Brighton. The RCR membership is on all their inland waterways policies and is at retainer level.

Their cover for residential use is excellant, and they gave us some additional cover without increasing the premium. I do not think their residential cover can be beaten.

I haven't really researched boat insurance for 2 years so I may be bit out of date.

However, when I did what other members have suggested, and read the policies on offer carefully, I was surprised how much they varied. Not just nuances.

Not everybody covers you for singlehanding, for instance.

<snip>

Bob.

Really????!

Would you be so kind as to say whixh firms exclude single handing? I do most of my boating single handed. (I use CraftInsure and Basic Boat co for the two boats.)

But then the main reason for getting insurance is that it's a passport to getting a licence. I have no intention or expectation of ever having to actually claim on it.....

Not everybody covers you for singlehanding, for instance.

Would you care to say who doesn't ?

I've never heard of any such restriction, in any policy document I've yet studied.

We have gone with GJW, we are new to boating, have a 1988 48ft trad and for a year with myself and wife fully comp £105.00 :D I was very supprised and happy with that!

That is impressively reasonable.

Is it really possible to say how reasonable though, as no sum insured is mentioned ?

On most comprehensive policy's I've seen the premium is (unsurprisingly) tightly linked to the insured value.

So the fact that someone says what their premium worked out at doesn't say much about what someone else would be charged, (even by the same insurer), unless the value of both boats were pretty well the same.

Would you care to say who doesn't ?

I've never heard of any such restriction, in any policy document I've yet studied.

Collidge didn't when I first insured with them... It was declaratory.

I declared I'd be SH this time around and they told me they'd written the caveat out. They had as well!

It certainly isn't in the current collidge (navigators and general ) policy and it also seems to cover most other things like inland tidal waterways.

Collidge also offer a £60/year breakdown cover which for the cover it gives seems a much better option than RCR. (edit to add -in terms of value for money)

Edited by jonathanA

Looking at the N&G policy (http://www.navandgen.co.uk/NR/rdonlyres/ACBDEE40-696A-4939-AF28-F1978B0E9EE6/0/RCBpolicy.pdf) there seems to be very little cover for personal possessions for Leisure users (no camera or phone cover for example) and inadequate cover for liveaboards (£750 max for portable computer equipment for example). Is this the norm? Or am I misreading it?

Edited to add: this is the first policy I have looked at but I get the impression from this thread that a number of brokers use N&G?

Edited by LazWoodbine

The other issue for me of course is that the boat being old, most insurers will want a survey every five years for comp. More money that I can put into the sinking fund instead.

That is one of my concerns, too. I've just had a letter from Mardon reminding me that the motor was due for a full hull survey. They were eminently reasonable when I asked if I could defer this for a couple of years when the boat would be due for a blacking and a BSC and would be in dry dock. There was no problem and they were a pleasure to deal with.

They were similarly open to negotiation about the date for the next hull survey for the butty. Usually they require, I think, a survey every four or five years. After a good survey a couple of years ago, I asked if they could extend the period for the next one and they were quite happy to set the date for 2020.

It is such a relief to deal with a firm that is prepared to listen to its customers and does not feel obliged slavishly to issue fixed responses.

Hi,

I've always insured with GJW Direct of Liverpool - their policies are clear, reasonable in cost and your dealing with a company that insures from dinghys to ocean liners. Another advantage is that they only demand a full survey every 7 years.

I'm only one of their customers - Honest!!!!!!!!

Looking at te GJW policy if also seems light on personal property - "We do not cover fishing gear or equipment or sporting equipment, including water-skis etc, or diving gear nor do we cover money; traveller's cheques; credit cards; jewellery; spectacles and contact lenses; mobile telephones; laptops and other personal digital assistants"

So if I nip down to tesco leaving my laptop on board and it is nicked, I cannot claim? I currently have home content insurance so I guess they would be covered on this, but come the day when we live aboard, what then?

Looking at te GJW policy if also seems light on personal property - "We do not cover fishing gear or equipment or sporting equipment, including water-skis etc, or diving gear nor do we cover money; traveller's cheques; credit cards; jewellery; spectacles and contact lenses; mobile telephones; laptops and other personal digital assistants"

So if I nip down to tesco leaving my laptop on board and it is nicked, I cannot claim? I currently have home content insurance so I guess they would be covered on this, but come the day when we live aboard, what then?

Hi,

Have checked with GJW, Collidge and Partners,Navigators and General and for pleaure use policies these exclusions are normal. They suggest that these items are often covered by home contents policies. For fuller cover(but not usually cash, money cards etc.) most insurers do a "liveaboard policy" at an extra premium. The excesses on this cover are often high (typically £150).

Hi,

Have checked with GJW, Collidge and Partners,Navigators and General and for pleaure use policies these exclusions are normal. They suggest that these items are often covered by home contents policies. For fuller cover(but not usually cash, money cards etc.) most insurers do a "liveaboard policy" at an extra premium. The excesses on this cover are often high (typically £150).

Thanks for the info. Time to check the home insurance I guess.