Leicester

pearley

Featured Posts

linky

It is shallow and very weedy/lily filled. I have seen small narrowboats up to below abbey park wier, and the trip boat used to run along the stretch (which probably kept it dredged a bit).

Moorings, I do not know, there appears to be a short landing stage from the sat pictures.

Edited by matty40s

Bearing in mind the state of the rest of this waterway through Leicester, (it's a DUMP!) that is probably a bad idea due to the amount of garbage. We just came through today, the stretch between Belgrave and Limekiln is worse than the worst of the BCN. 2 boats going other way round the corner below limekiln were tied up removing rubbish from their props and we too got a mass of junk on the prop at that point ( despite being on tickover and in the centre of the channel) such that the tiller completely stopped working with no thrust in fwd or reverse. Limped up to the lock to find 2 boats waiting to come down -they couldnt open the top gates because only 1 paddle working, and big leak from bottom gates meant the levels would never equalise. We had to drain the lock again, put Telemachus in, then force the top gates open using the boat. Next lock, both ground paddles out of order. Visitor moorings - all overgrown and rubbish bins full to overflowing the whole city has a run down feel. I know we are in a recession but Birmingham seems to mangae to look OK. Not impressed and will be glad to leave Leicester behind. Oh, did I mention it is a DUMP?

Some guide books say you can turn onto the river above Belgrave Lock to visit these. Is that still possible or advisable and are there any moorings if you do?

Regards

Pete

Yes possible , but at high risk of a prop foul next to the weir !!!!!

The area below Limekiln is now at the worse state I've ever seen .

Sorry, I think I forgot to say its a DUMP!

There are DUMPS and dumps.

Brum used to be a total dump - but look at the centre now. The Old Main Line is very pleasant in parts. Ten years ago it was all mostly 'orrible.

We were in Leicester two years ago and once we moored at the Castle (safely locked in...) and explored, we were pleasantly surprised. OK we like looking at old buildings and the like. As with all cities - stay away from the main streets and suddenly you find it not too awful!

Going downstream of the centre it is a five star dump. The centre and traffic is worse than the A38 (?) in Brum, but the shopping are is just about bearable. The market is great and very friendly (mostly)

Oh, and TV and satellite don't work there either...

Anyway - folks do please stay away as we will attempt to visit in mid August if we can thrust through the assembled masses in Cropredy first.

Forget the Space centre mooring. Probably better to do a long walk or catch a bus from the safety of Castle.

Do you mind, some of us live in the city!!!

The problems is that I agree with you

:(

You need to elect some new councillors! Actually the castle gardens looked quite nice, but clearly the council have no idea and no interest in making the waterfront attractive. I would have thought that with the amount of petty crime in Leicester, Cummunity Payback labour would be available to at least cut some of the weeds? Maybe the council leaders have been too busy blowing your dosh on partying (or was that the shire CC.?)

The Mill building below Lime Kiln lock overlooks what is probably the most polluted few yards of water on the whole system. Take a deep draughted boat through and you will stir up some black noxious foul smelling and oily mud giving off a pungent gas. Above North lock the main danger comes from sari(e?)s and large duvets.Apart from the straight mile the river is in a disgusting state and getting a pair from St Mary's Mill to Aylestone was becoming almost impossible when I last tried some years ago.Regards, HughC.

The drains from the main road run off into the canal by the road bridge below Limekiln lock and I think this contributes to the build up of muck. I was fortunate enough to have enough momentum to coast through with our pair.

Counted 4 wheelie bins in the pound between Limekiln and Belgrave... it makes for quite an interesting slalom run and I imagine it is a massive shock to those heading upstream as it is the first canal section for a while and hence the change in depth (and revs you can apply) suddenly alters.

You need to elect some new councillors! Actually the castle gardens looked quite nice, but clearly the council have no idea and no interest in making the waterfront attractive. I would have thought that with the amount of petty crime in Leicester, Cummunity Payback labour would be available to at least cut some of the weeds? Maybe the council leaders have been too busy blowing your dosh on partying (or was that the shire CC.?)

That's the county lot. The city lot haven't been caught out yet!!!!

For many years Leicester turned its back on the river and the canal. the whole city sprawled in the opposite direction in an attempt to get out of the disease filled areas that surrounded the river. then came the canal, and industry sprang up round it blocking its access behind the still magnificent midlands brick factories and warehouses, now mostly safely offshored. Now it's only practical use is for free out of cycle rubbish removal for the houses that back onto it and the storm drains that drain into it.

Only recently has the local authority started to take notice to the river as a leisure resource, a couple of years ago there was a consultation about how to improve the area. I've never seen the results, or the resulting report, but it probably died along with the country's finances.

With the removal of the industry, there is a massive opportunity to turn the whole thing into a linear park stretching from the south of Leicester through to loughborough and beyond, most of the surroundings are still flood plane, and unsuprisingly not built upon. As Leicester inevitably expands, green space will become more of a premium, and this bit of land could contribute massively to that space.

Take Abbey Park, Abbey park is a big and beautiful park that sits between the river and canal for most of a mile north of the city, yet the canal is hidden away behind fences and hedges, it's a natural(ish), and interesting boundary for the park, yet both are seperated from each other, making the canal in this stretch seem more claustraphobic than it needs to. IMO both the canal, and the park would benefit from the removal of the boundary. and it wouldn't take more than a few people with gas axes and chainsaws more than a few days.

It's a shame really Leicester city council started well with its river festival, and the castle park moorings, but Leicester could make so much more of the excellent resource that is the River soar.

Here endeth the lesson.

The other way to visit the space centre is to moor either at Syston (Hope and Anchor)and walk up to the "park and ride" off the A46 ringroad, or Birstall and catch the same service a bit further in.

This takes you along the A6 straight past the Space Centre, and both moorings are safe and have pubs with food.

The other way to visit the space centre is to moor either at Syston (Hope and Anchor)and walk up to the "park and ride" off the A46 ringroad, or Birstall and catch the same service a bit further in.

This takes you along the A6 straight past the Space Centre, and both moorings are safe and have pubs with food.

Its also not far from Kilby Bridge Good moorings & also a pub & a lot less locks if traveling North - Walk up towards Wigston & a Bus into town.

Its a shame its so difficult to turn off-line at Belgrave , Space centre moorings would be a great attraction to bring folk thru town & hopefully regenerate the area (Does Leicester City Council still have the rubbish boat ? Not seen it for a couple of yrs)

We have met many a boat that turn at Syston or Birstall or Kilby as they wont risk Leicester ! I find the only really bad stretch the one from Limekiln to Belgrave (Its Canal so doesnt get flushed out during high water).

I wonder if a working party next time the river was in flood (Coordinating with mobiles / radios) could flush water from North Lock through Limekiln - This may freshen the Swamp that is at its worse state for years - Any excess water would the exit over Belgrave Weir

Its also not far from Kilby Bridge Good moorings & also a pub & a lot less locks if traveling North - Walk up towards Wigston & a Bus into town.

Its a shame its so difficult to turn off-line at Belgrave , Space centre moorings would be a great attraction to bring folk thru town & hopefully regenerate the area (Does Leicester City Council still have the rubbish boat ? Not seen it for a couple of yrs)

We have met many a boat that turn at Syston or Birstall or Kilby as they wont risk Leicester ! I find the only really bad stretch the one from Limekiln to Belgrave (Its Canal so doesnt get flushed out during high water).

I wonder if a working party next time the river was in flood (Coordinating with mobiles / radios) could flush water from North Lock through Limekiln - This may freshen the Swamp that is at its worse state for years - Any excess water would the exit over Belgrave Weir

I think Richard T had a working party out at the end of March this year, however, there is only so much they can do and the recent deluges must have brought lots of crap from the storm drains out into the cut

I'm game to give it a try.

I'm game to give it a try.

Whilst it would be fairly easy to coordinate , as long as we walked from North Lock to LImekiln in case of moored boats (As Limekiln only has one top paddle a balance may be required), what are the legalities of running water downstream thru a canalised section ?

.........translated in fuzzy language as

"I'm game to get the dinghy out and see if we can flashlock from the city centre to Thurmaston on 15 minutes"

Blimey - Hadnt thought of that as a part of the plan - Presumed I'd have to pick him up in a car :angry:

I could also take the opportunity to nip up the river to Abbey Park and get some photies.

Alan

I'm game to do that in the Norman , at normal levels with a mudweight its easy to stop if the prop gets fouled - Not been up that bit since the 70's.

Next time Chez is away with the Grandkids we could have a few hrs out if you fancy a piccy-run