Housing benefit?

canals are us?

Featured Posts

Can you get JSA and housing benefit to pay for a residential mooring? I may be returning to the UK and buying a narrowboat to live on and wondered can you get housing benefit on a residential marina. My Grandmother is desperate to return to Birmingham and said I can have £20,000 and I'm thinking about buying a narrowboat as I would prefer to live in the countryside rather than in Birmingham. I can't stand City's and much rather prefer the countryside. I would hate a flat in Birmingham. I have no savings.

If not it may be a non starter :unsure: and have to rethink my plans.

I would like to start self employment, plumbing and all aspects of property repairs but wondered if there was any financial help until settled and the buisness started to bring in the money?

James :cheers:

Edited by canals are us?

Can you get JSA and housing benefit to pay for a residential mooring? I may be returning to the UK and buying a narrowboat to live on and wondered can you get housing benefit on a residential marina. My Grandmother is desperate to return to Birmingham and said I can have £20,000 and I'm thinking about a narrowboat as I would prefer to live in the countryside rather than in Birmingham. I can't stand City's and much rather prefer the countryside. I would hate a flat in Birmingham. I have no savings.

I would like to start self employment, plumbing and all aspects of property repairs but wondered if there was any financial help until settled and the buisness started to bring in the money?

In a nutshell...

yes

Knowing Birmingham City Council you'll need to put a scrap up for your licence but they'll pay it eventually.

Best sooner than later, when Universal Credit coes in next year no-one knows, yet, what will happen regarding Housing Costs so best to get sorted before April 13 so as tpo avoid the transition which will no doubt be messy.

ETA: residential moorings in the West Mids are like hens teeth; be prepared to get a leisure mooring and wing it. You'll still get HB for the mooring and licence.

Edited by Smelly

Forget it, live with your grandmother, get a job and save.

Good luck.

Seconded.

£20k will tie you over while you find a job...and start the process.

Don't see why you should get hand outs because you don't like the city.

If your under 35 The rules have got a lot harder, and seem if you are under 25 they are going to get harder still.

Only for LHA, moorings & licence fees still fall under the referral scheme; even then, I doubt a mooring & licence will top out the shared accommodation rate.

Yes, you can get Housing Benefit for living on a narrowboat. As others have said, getting a residential mooring is likely to be more difficult than getting the Housing Benefit!

As for self-employed working, have you got any qualifications in plumbing, etc? If not, I would say your first move is to get at least an NVQ. It's probably best to concentrate on one particular skill, like the plumbing, but it will be useful to be able to also do more general property repairs.

You might also consider getting your gran to buy the boat and you renting it from her, getting Housing Benefit to pay the rent. This is legal.

Good luck! I wish you success in your plan and hope you manage to build up a good business. :cheers:

Yes, you can get Housing Benefit for living on a narrowboat. As others have said, getting a residential mooring is likely to be more difficult than getting the Housing Benefit!

As for self-employed working, have you got any qualifications in plumbing, etc? If not, I would say your first move is to get at least an NVQ. It's probably best to concentrate on one particular skill, like the plumbing, but it will be useful to be able to also do more general property repairs.

You might also consider getting your gran to buy the boat and you renting it from her, getting Housing Benefit to pay the rent. This is legal.

Good luck! I wish you success in your plan and hope you manage to build up a good business. :cheers:

So was Jimmy Carr's little "arrangement"!

And I do not think renting off a relative will qualify for Housing Benefit.

Not sure why my taxes which I work bl@@dy hard for should subsidise someone in these circumstances, why not save us all some money and stay with Grannies until you get yourself organised. Guess they will though.

So was Jimmy Carr's little "arrangement"!

And I do not think renting off a relative will qualify for Housing Benefit.

It will so long as they're not the parent of one of your dependants, however if the liability is created to take advantage of the HB scheme or the tenancy is not on a commercial basis the tenant is deemed not to be liable to pay rent.

ETA: if you want to look it up look at reg 7 Housing Benefit Regulations 2006 ;)

Edited by Smelly

Can you get JSA and housing benefit to pay for a residential mooring? I may be returning to the UK and buying a narrowboat to live on and wondered can you get housing benefit on a residential marina. My Grandmother is desperate to return to Birmingham and said I can have £20,000 and I'm thinking about a narrowboat as I would prefer to live in the countryside rather than in Birmingham. I can't stand City's and much rather prefer the countryside. I would hate a flat in Birmingham. I have no savings.

Live with Grannie.....

Get a short term job to pay for your rent and upkeep

Whilst you're doing that, set yourself up for your own business (whatever it's going to be)

Then - when your business has started, have Grannie buy you your boat . . . .

I see no good reason why taxpayers should pay for your upkeep because you can't be bothered to work for it

Where did the op say they couldn't be bothered to work for their upkeep? Does self employment not count?

In the alternate; where did the op say that claiming HB would be a permanent solution?

Shame I can not give you a greenie thingy. The purpose of JSA and Housing Benefit is to help people while they get themselves sorted with work. All this go and live with Grannie stuff is just complete rubbish. We know nothing about his grandmother's circumstances she might just live in a 1 bedroom flat. Once he has himself sorted with work he will be repaying any benefit he might have claimed. He has shown it is not his intention to live of benefits long term and hey he has also shown that he does not want to be a CMer . Give the guy some slack and answer his question if you know the answer instead of all this advise as to who he should live with.

Well said that man. It is all too easy to be an armchair critic, and sit in judgement without knowing all of the facts. A green thing for you sir.

Hi, thank you to the genuine who want to help :cheers: I can't believe the abuse that I am receiving. I have never received benefits in all my life and am a trained plumber/gas installer with NVQ level 2&3 qualifications. Went to college when I was 19.

Went into self employment in property repairs and plumbing/gas work and then moved to France and Ireland to live with my grandparents and renovated homes for my board and keep. They are giving me £20,000 to help me start off as a thank you. There is no work here and the only real solution is to move back to the UK. I am 32 and still live at home with my Grandparents:blush: who are 80 and 81. Property prices here are very affordable. They will be lucky to buy a flat.

I never stated I was going to be on benefits permanently or long term. Everyone needs help at some point and thats the reason it's there, if needed. I hope you never have to be in that situation of no income/home and then get nasty comments!

Edited by canals are us?
  • Greenie 2

It's not a 'Contrived Tenancy' if it's rented at a commercial rate and a proper contract is drawn up and signed.

If granny was going to give you 20k to buy it but then decided to buy it herself so as to rake in the rent from an HB recipient then the liability arose so as to take advantage of the HB scheme; aka it's contrived.

If granny had bought it, then decided to rent it out then it isn't.

Hi, thank you to the genuine who want to help :cheers: I can't believe the abuse that I am receiving. I have never received benefits in all my life and am a trained plumber/gas installer with NVQ level 2&3 qualifications. Went to college when I was 19.

Went into self employment in property repairs and plumbing/gas work and then moved to France and Ireland to live with my grandparents and renovated homes for my board and keep. They are giving me £20,000 to help me start off as a thank you. There is no work here and the only real solution is to move back to the UK. I am 32 and still live at home with my Grandparents:blush: who are 80 and 81. Property prices here are very affordable. They will be lucky to buy a flat.

I never stated I was going to be on benefits permanently or long term. Everyone needs help at some point and thats the reason it's there, if needed. I hope you never have to be in that situation of no income/home and then get nasty comments!

Good luck whichever way you choose to jump.

Thanks for the fuller explanation of your situation. That makes a huge difference to how we can understand your question.

Now that's clearer, I wish you well and hope you can get the short-term support you need to start your business in the UK.

It would be considerably easier with some savings behind you, but I don't know your circumstances. :cheers: